Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxPBcastcoRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 and Lee boolits

.223 and Lee boolits

Nothing that hasn't been done here before, except for the rifle. Member frkelly74 was gracious enough to send me a few of the .224 Lee bullets powder coated. Some were GC, some not, and I give you some photos of the testing. Only ten rounds involved due to very limited supply, but I learned something

That blow by was nasty, and only in the H-335 load. The Win 748 load produced very little blow by fouling.

Functioning was perfect, no issues feeding. I think I learned something and intend to explore further.

Boolit Buddy
    I shot the same bullet with 748 (19gr-23gr in .5 increments), 19 was by far my best with no checks. I loaded up some more with and without checks to make sure, this time I am testing 17gr-19gr in .5 increments.

Neat! What rifle?

Boolit Buddy
    Parts built rifle. Vltor upper with a Wilson Arms 16" heavy barrel 1:9 twist. Nothing super special but shoots fine for me. Hopefully I can dial in a cast plinking load.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-06-18 15.58.10.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	195202
    Last edited by Sghinds; 05-10-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Any further progress? I'm interested in this pursuit.
    Thanks,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    I went with the NOE 62grn for my 1:7 twist it works well on top of some(21grn) IMR 4895 .

CC

Boolit Master
    In a 1:9 twist I get really good results with Lyman 225646 (bot GC and PB), tumble lubed only
    Hick: Iron sights!

My 1:7 twist middy AR runs the lee 55 grain bullet powder coated and no gas check applied with 21 grains of either BlC(2) (which seams to be the best) and 21 grains of IMR 4895, I have tried H335 as I have a good stock of it but my first test was 21 grains which functioned but was no where near accurate, and my second test was 18 grains which wouldn't even cycle the bolt enough to eject the empty case, so I'll try 19,19.5,and 20 grains next to see if I can get H335 to work!

Im sorry, guys, been very busy. I really need a Lee .225 push through sizer for some of the test boolits I got after powder coating them - when I can afford one. I am still really interested in finding out something that works, and I did tear down the rifle to find no real leading in the gas port/tube/piston area. I'll have to see if I have some horse trading material around.

Boolit Buddy
    I went out this weekend and shot my cast/pc bullets. Had 7 fail to chamber, I think they were loaded a touch too long, but overall a successful trip. Pics have the load data (powder charge, GC/no GC). I was shooting with a slight crosswind, so don't know how much of an effect it had on my groups. I am not looking for super precision, just decent plinking ammo for some range/trigger time. Mold is the Lee 225-55 6 cavity, Traffic orange PC from Smoke and sized to 225 with a Lee push through sizer.

Nice, thanks! I am loading up the last of the donated boolits tonight, probably next day or so I'll be out on the firing line. Need a push through sizer to get some more underway.

So, I did get the last of those out today, found out a few things - one, it's hot in Arizona in June. Yeah, no kidding.

I had the chrono out too.

Hotter load.

Excellent functioning, much less blowby on the brass.

Accuracy is still a work in progress, but I would like to make minute of coyote out of it.

Chrono data was average of 2041 FPS SD of 47, ES of 229.

Boolit Master
    Shooting Low Again.
    Shades of the Vascetomizer showing up again. LOL
    Buy a Bi Pod

Can't yet, got other things to get first.

One other thing has been taken care of - push-through sizer is en route so I can take advantage of another great members incredible generosity to try out all KINDS of slugs in this caliber! Now we're gonna have some fun!

Sizer is FINALLY here, (US Mail system gets more rickety each day), powder coated testers are sized, and will be loaded either tonight or tomorrow for testing ASAP. I am starting with Linotype 62 gr RCBS and Linotype 55gr Bators.

So first tester loads built today, and problem number one emerged right away - the Batorrs won't seat straight. I mean bullet runout is so off it's amazing. The seater plug indent on the top of the slug is visibly canted. Can it be the Lee seater plug doing it? I doubt they will load properly. I have never had this issue with any other bullet, cast or jacketed.
    Then I loaded some of the RCBS 62 grain slugs, hoping I wouldn't run in to that same issue. Nope, they all loaded straight. I used the info from the AR-15 500 round cast boolit thread for starter and both sets have 22gr of Winchester 748...because that's what I have. Local powder supply is very slim pickings, so no matter what anyone's favorite powder is for cast...chances are I can't get it. I had semi-decent luck with 748 under the Lee boolit, so I am holding out hope for this good looking RCBS boolit. Now...to hit the range and hopefully not die. Temps today and tomorrow for this location are expected to be at or near 120 degrees Fahrenheit. No, that is not a joke.

Boolit Master
    And some of us have to work outside in this most of the day.
    I will trade all that for a few hours in it at the range

Yes indeed. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!!!!

Boolit Master
    Yes indeed.
    Today I hydrated several workers with the water truck doing dust control.
    And they didnt seem to mind at all.
    Then got home and like a Dummy, Walked to the mailbox 200 yards away in Bare feet.
    That asphalt is hot on a 116 degree day for sure.
    We need Misters at the range on the canopy dont you think ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast