Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Chainsaw winches

Chainsaw winches

Interested in a chainsaw winch for my 33cc Pulan or 64 cc Stihl chainsaw. Lewis winches are about $900 new and about 5-600 used. What are other options manufactures/options for a chainsaw winch?

I'll be honest, even your Stihl is going to be on the small side for running a Lewis. You really need 80cc plus.
    For a lot less you could get a deep cycle battery and an ATV winch then strap the winch to something and pull?
    I can't remember where, but I think I recall someone made a winch with a Briggs and Stratton engine set up like a generator.

Interesting on engine size. A fellow on YouTube "shop talk" on chainsaws had an old home lite hooked up to an old Lewis....not sure on cc? There is accompany that does a Briggs and Stratton setup, still very price! The atv winch and battery would be a much cheaper solution. I do like the chainsaw winch but the $ is just way more than I'd spend for a now and then winch.

Have a read through this, these guys are chainsaw gurus!
    http://www.arboristsite.com/communit...-winch.179908/

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by duckey View Post
    Interesting on engine size. A fellow on YouTube "shop talk" on chainsaws had an old home lite hooked up to an old Lewis....not sure on cc? There is accompany that does a Briggs and Stratton setup, still very price! The atv winch and battery would be a much cheaper solution. I do like the chainsaw winch but the $ is just way more than I'd spend for a now and then winch.
    I am in the same boat, would love to have a Lewis winch, but for the price i just cant justify it for the few uses it would see

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    A 60+cc Stihl will run a Lewis winch just fine. Years ago I got a guy lined out Milling with his Alaska mill on Bamdroshni Island in Sitka Sound. Southeast Alaska. He had a double ended 4' bar on his Alaska mill with a pair of 051s on it. 051 Stihl. The little brother to the 071 later 075 . Anyway he had a 009 Stihl on a Lewis winch . Yes , I typed that right , double 0 9 . iirc about 32 cc . Powerhead, he said it wouldn't pull anything. So I put a block " pulley " in the line and was lifting 800 lb logs completelywup in the air. And skidding whole trees out of the woods . 14" dbh, 60' long to a 4" diameter top diameter. Running a 2nd tail holt for the end of the skidding "main" line. I was a tower Logger for years in Southeast.
    I also got one of his 051s running so both powerheads were pulling and got his chains Sharp and jointed " depth gauges filed correctly " and we could litterly walk down the length of cabin logs cutting 12" wide slabs and planks.

If you are going to be using a winch , you need to learn about Winches and how to winch things.
    A Lewis winch is a great tool for many things . But a chainsaw Capstan winch is also a great tool that in many ways is more versatile. One way , is you can winch from great distances. Get a 200, 300, 600 ' long coil of 7/16- 5/8" arborist or bull rope and off you go. Put a block in the bight and double your power.
    Capstan chainsaw Winches are also less expensive than Lewis Winches..

I haven't been on Arborist Site since I screwed up my knees . But you can prolly check my archived posts. Under the name. Tramp Bushler.
    Glen.
    You are being watched.