RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Pedersoli 45-70 chamber cast

Boolit Mold

Pedersoli 45-70 chamber cast

I'm curious as to what folks here have to say about Pedersoli 45-70 chambers. Posted this elsewhere, but thought it might should go here?
    Did my chamber cast and notice there is something strange? No throat and what looks like no lead in my Pedersoli chamber. Is this the way all Pedersoli barrels are made? According to my proof letters (BH) the gun was proofed in 1996, but I don't know if that's right or not. Did early Pedersoli 45-70 barrels have different chamber specs than the new ones? Anyway my measurements, to the best of my ability, are.............Muzzle end is .4573 and .450............on the chamber end .4584 and .4505.

Boolit Buddy

Pedersoli 45-70 chamber cast

. I never did a chamber cast on my pedersoli but I could seat the bullet pretty far out and going off that I would think that the chamber in the gun I had would have had more throat than what yours has. Just for comparison This chamber cast is from my c sharps. With this gun I can seat the bullets out to touch the lands and keep all the lube grooves inside the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ian45662; 05-09-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    Look up SAAMI specs for the 45-70. That's what you get if you use the original spec. Most places allow more throat and lead. Miroku's are all like that. I've had to have them reamed so they accept all bullets. Not a big deal reaming if needed and accuracy doesn't suffer. My Pedersoli's were better than the Miroku/Win guns. Both shot very well. Pedersoli makes great barrels.

Boolit Mold
    Ian,
    Your C. Sharps cast looks a lot like mine. I can chamber Postell bullets just fine, but I tried some Schmitzer bullets from a fellow and they would not chamber. That was over ten years ago so my memory could be off, but I do know they were very pointy bullets that's for sure. I'm just wondering if Pedersoli changed chamber designs since my rifle was made?

Boolit Mold
    Yes, I read somewhere that that is the original chamber design. I just never saw a cast or a picture of my chamber and thought it would have more throat. When I shot this rifle about ten years ago I was really impressed with how it shot those Postell bullets. Did you have your Pedersoli's throat reamed too or did you leave them stock?
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Look up SAAMI specs for the 45-70. That's what you get if you use the original spec. Most places allow more throat and lead. Miroku's are all like that. I've had to have them reamed so they accept all bullets. Not a big deal reaming if needed and accuracy doesn't suffer. My Pedersoli's were better than the Miroku/Win guns. Both shot very well. Pedersoli makes great barrels.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a Pedersoli and my barrel is choked like yours but I have .075 freebore in front of the chamber and no big 45 degree like yours does

Boolit Mold
    That's exactly what has me a little puzzled. In my limited searching I hear two different chamber stories and that's why I wondered if Pedersoli changed chamber designs somewhere along the line. Hiwall55 when was your rifle manufactured?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiwall55 View Post
    I've got a Pedersoli and my barrel is choked like yours but I have .075 freebore in front of the chamber and no big 45 degree like yours does

Boolit Master
    My BI code 1997 Pedersoli Sharps has the identical chamber. You have the same chamber as the SAAMI drawing. http://members.saami.org/ManualsStds...Government.pdf

I have owned a total of 11 45-70s at one time or another and they all had the SAAMI chamber. This included Brownings, Rugers, Thompson Center Encore, H&R Buffalo Classic and Pedersoli.

The only non SAAMI chamber I have seen was a 4 digit Farmingdale Shiloh Sharps that had about 9/16" freebore which I consider a very poor chamber.
    EDG

Boolit Mold
    Well that's good to know. I don't have any intention of buying more 45-70's to compare chambers, but I'm glad you did as it helps answer my question. When I got this rifle I really wanted a 45-90 and thought about getting a reamer, but I'm glad I put it on the back burner and it stayed 45-70. I'll just shoot and enjoy once I figure out what bullet mold to get. I like the idea of a bore-rider, but when I shot those Postell bullets ten years ago I was impressed also. I got all summer to play. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    My BI code 1997 Pedersoli Sharps has the identical chamber. You have the same chamber as the SAAMI drawing. http://members.saami.org/ManualsStds...Government.pdf

I have owned a total of 11 45-70s at one time or another and they all had the SAAMI chamber. This included Brownings, Rugers, Thompson Center Encore, H&R Buffalo Classic and Pedersoli.

The only non SAAMI chamber I have seen was a 4 digit Farmingdale Shiloh Sharps that had about 9/16" freebore which I consider a very poor chamber.

Boolit Buddy
    My Pedersoli sharps will seat a postell bullet with one lube groove showing and it shoots very well to the 8,9 and 1000 yard line.its a Pride of the Plains and I got it in the late 90's.
    I've got a 45/90 that was reamed out with a Dave Manson Match reamer that looks identical at the end of the chamber to this Sharps.

Boolit Master
    May not mean much but have read where the Pedersoli barrels actually do have a choke made intentionally in their barrels. So if you come up with a smaller number at the muzzle than at the breech then that is what you are getting the choke measurements at the muzzle. My 1874 infantry rifle was made in 1999 45/70 and haven't had the time to check out the throat as I just got it. I emailed Pedersoli and they gave me the date of manufacture and told me it has a 1x18 twist. Frank

Boolit Mold
    Yes, I read that also and expected that when I did the chamber and muzzle cast.
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    May not mean much but have read where the Pedersoli barrels actually do have a choke made intentionally in their barrels. So if you come up with a smaller number at the muzzle than at the breech then that is what you are getting the choke measurements at the muzzle. My 1874 infantry rifle was made in 1999 45/70 and haven't had the time to check out the throat as I just got it. I emailed Pedersoli and they gave me the date of manufacture and told me it has a 1x18 twist. Frank

Boolit Master
    I have found the Postell Bullet performs well in my 45.70 Pedersoli Silhouette Rifle.The Bore riding nose takes care of the short Chamber,where some other bullets restricted the amount of Powder I could use.My present load is, 65 Grains of 3f,an over powder card and the Postell bullet.I compress the powder to allow the Bullet to sit with the last Ring showing at the mouth of the Case.I have shot that loading up to 500Yards with success.I do not Crimp my cases in order to preserve them.The Postell is a push fit into the case.