RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short barrellled Contenders. let's see them!

Boolit Master

Short barrellled Contenders. let's see them!

Getting the itch to get back into the T/C contender game again. I tried the 14" barreled hand cannons, and they just didn't work for me. Thinking I would like to go with shorter barrels and handgun cartridges suitable for them. My primary use for this gun would be Antelope hunting and Hog hunting, at ranges out to 75 yards or so. I'm thinking I would like to go with a 45LC barrel.
    I await your input gentlemen.
    Thanks.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master

Everyone told me the 10inch 44 mag barrel would be a wrist breaker but that's not been my experience at all. So far very very pleased with it can't wait for November!

Boolit Master

Get a custom 10 inch in 44 special

30 years ago I had the chance to shoot a 10" .44 mag contender.

Partly it was not my favorite because it had left hand grips. I was not big even then, with small wrists. While I had no problem with the first 4-5 shots I had no problem shooting it, and it would shoot.

In right handed grips, that fit, I suspect I would have loved it.

I have never gotten into the Contenders since. But I have always been thankful for that chance to play with one.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    You asked.........How about a 6" in 45 Colt????? I use 44 Magnum in the original "Hot Shot" configuration, and 44 Magnum and 41 Magnum in 10" bull contour. All are good..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1664.jpg  

Vendor Sponsor

I have been a fan of both 44 and 45 pretty much equally favor both of them. The biggest advantage the 45 has over the 44 is that loaded to the same 30k psi you could carry a bit more boolit weight in the 45 for more total energy. However the BC of the 44 may give it a slight advantage, and it has greater sectional density than the 45.

The advantage with the TC is that you could get a 1:16 twist where with many factory 44 revolvers the 1:20 twist is the only game in town.

if I was looking for the same TC and taking the same game as you, at handgun ranges, I would probably want an 8" barrel. There really isn't anything to gain with a shorter barrel in a single shot pistol, it's not like swinging around a sixgun for a follow up shot.

Would a 6" 45 Colt do what you want it to do? Of course. Would an 8" 44 shoot into a tighter group at 75 yards? All else equal, of course it would. I vote the 8" 44 magnum.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Bub
    Have kept 2 of the old 8inch octogan HotShot barrels in my collection just to have a short & light 'Tender around. The .44 and .45Colt (only no shotgun chamber) both get a lot of use. Made up thread protectors with protruding knurled ring extending for removal as I never use the old chokes use; have a 10"VR .45/.410 if want to fire shot and the choke might as well be welded in because it only ever sees .410 skeet loads

Boolit Master
    I have a 8 inch octagon 22 hornet that is fun. One of my other favorites is a round 10" 30-30. These can usually be bought cheap, I think because everyone reads online how they are "not very efficient​." Well, so what. They are accurate and powerful. If you are worried about efficiency then buy a Prius.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 12:41 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    My favorite barrel is an old 10" octagon .357 mag barrel. You can do a lot with a 357 on a contender frame. Have a 44mag but never shoot it.
    I would like a .41 mag barrel and possibly a .222.. Have loading gear for and other guns in this calibers too.

I also like the .22 barrel. Shoot it in the garage a bit with Colibri gallery (powderless) ammo.

Boolit Master

I once had a 357 max sold it and bought a 44 magnum just because it was hard to find Brass
    Now that you can get it starting to want one again it would be a good goat gun
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    You asked.........How about a 6" in 45 Colt????? I use 44 Magnum in the original "Hot Shot" configuration, and 44 Magnum and 41 Magnum in 10" bull contour. All are good..
    I'm thinking something like that. 8-10" 45 colt barrel with a small red dot holographic sight. Now I just need to figure out how to finance said purchase... LOL

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master

My contribution, I have a 6-1/2" 45 Colt factory barrel made for the Thompsom Center Association as well.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post

My contribution, I have a 6-1/2" 45 Colt factory barrel made for the Thompson Center Association as well.
    It would take a lot more than that dollar to get me to pull the trigger on that pistol, Holey wrist break, Batman! A 50-70? Ouch!!
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post

My contribution, I have a 6-1/2" 45 Colt factory barrel made for the Thompsom Center Association as well.

I would love to have one of these. Who made it?

Boolit Mold
    10" 30-30 is hard to beat.

Boolit Master

After doing lots of looking, I am thinking an 8" 45LC barrel would be perfect for what I want to do. I'd like a removable brake, so I could use a suppressor at times. Thinking either MGM or Bellm will be the way to go. Will send them a dummy round to ensure precise chamber dimensions. Any thoughts?

Boolit Master

Thre-Fifty-Seven
    Have any good cast or coated projie loads for the 10" 222 octagon?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 12:41 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
    I would love to have one of these. Who made it?
    Bullberry made the barrel, and it is very accurate, but a pain to load for. A 450gr at 1,000 fps. is about all you will get. It will shoot under an inch at 50 yards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast