Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee hand loader

Boolit Mold

Lee hand loader

I have never reloaded before so I don't want to invest in a lot but the lee hand loader seems like a good deal and I was wondering what you guys thought of it

Sent from my X325–Locked to Life Wireless using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Lee breech hand press is what I was meaning

Sent from my X325–Locked to Life Wireless using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I use it. It is a handy tool for reloading while relaxing in the recliner. When full case resizing use a good lube and lube the case correctly or get ready for an arm work out. I prefer to resize my brass on a normal press and everything else is easy peezy with Lee Hand Press. It can do everything a normal press does. The simple little lee C press is just as cheap. I might recommend that so you don't get discouraged by the effort of resizing brass with the hand press. Its not that its hard to squeeze them into the resizing die. Its opening it to get the cases out of the resizing die that makes it extra effort and a quality case lube helps and the lee case lube isn't good.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    It might be ok for a patient person loading straight walled hand gun ammo.
    I have one that I inherited but I do not load much handgun ammo.
    I reload a lot of rifle ammo and I have a heavy duty press for sizing cases. I have not even tried the "thigh master" for any real ammo loading chores.

I understand your unwillingness to commit more to reloading.
    Go ahead and get started on a small scale.

You will either become more comfortable and spend more if you love shooting.
    If not you will eventually abandon reloading.

After reloading for about 50 years I have multiples of almost everything a newbie would need. I have considered putting together a loaner box of tools but I am sure that someone would disappear with them.
    Last edited by EDG; 03-29-2018 at 05:05 AM.
    EDG

Boolit Master

I started with the Lee handloader, back before the breech-lock mechanism was devised. I loaded a bunch of ammo on that thing, and eventually gave it to a newbie.

I think the handloader is a good, inexpensive way to start, that doesn't involve whacking things with a hammer.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the CB.GL forum!

You can always put it in a vise ( the vise would be useful for other things as well) to use it like a bench mounted press and accomplish much of what a bench mount press would do, while still have the option of its portability if you ever decide to take the reloading equipment to the range, or some other location to reload.

I have one just for that purpose of portability without a bench, if needed anyway. It is worth having one, IMO, if you are going to reload, so starting with one is fine the way I see things.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I have been reloading for almost 5 years on my lee Hand press.

I load a wide variety of calibers from little 7.62x25 to 7.62x54r and .444Marlin.

The Lee hand press is my main press, #1 choice for reloading although I do have 2 other Lee Press's mounted. The classic cast C press is mounted inverted for sizing/gas checks.

The other press is a big Lee box type, mostly it lives with my primer pocket swaging tool in it.

Resizing 7.62x54r, .30-30 brass is no sweat with just a little dab of lube.

I love the quick change bushings. Often do 2-3 small batch's of ammo the same day.
    To replace rounds fired at the range.

In my opinion, it is a darn good press for the money. But, use your head. If it is taking too much force what's wrong?

I use a Frankford Arsenal hand depriming unit, so I don't much have the problem of the hollow shaft filling with primers. I use an RCBS Universal hand priming unit. My little lee press does everything else.

I have been considering making a PVC leg brace that would strap to my left leg. Pin to the bottom linkage pin. Just something to hold the press and free up my left hand.

Go for it!

Worst case scenario, 6 months from now you buy a big press, and the lee hand press becomes your travel kit, range toy. That is not a very bad worst case scenario IMO.

EDG "I reload a lot of rifle ammo and I have a heavy duty press for sizing cases. I have not even tried the "thigh master" for any real ammo loading chores."

So you slammed it without ever having really tried it.

Uhuh. Tagged, sorted, filed.

Howdy, welcome from Kentucky. I have a Lee hand press. I have loaded 30-30, and it was okay. Pistol ammo is easier. Thats not to say I wouldnt use the press for a lot of rifle cases, just that I prefer my bench press. The real benefit of the press is not the price, but that you do not have to have a bench to mount it to or a lot of space for a permanent set up. The reason I have one, is not its portability, Its just plain neat.

I started with, and still try to get, used equipment. That is one way to save some money. And, if you decided to get out of it, you can sell your gear and get your money back. Its also a risk that you'll get something thats messed up, but i've not had much trouble in that way. You might could find a used Hand press off ebay. Thats where I got mine, because I didnt want the breech lock version.

You need to get a manual. I recommend the Lyman 48 or 49 or 50(I havent read that one). It will not only tell you which and how much powder for your cartridge/bullet selection, it will teach you the loading procedure step by step. It will explain safety and each component and give you some theory on the subject. Each manual edition will have different articles in them apart from the basic how to, thats why we all have various manuals.

You can use a digital manual such as these, but make sure you read the How to sections, and not just flip to the data section.

Lyman 48th
    http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manu...%20-%20ocr.pdf

Lyman cast bullet handbook 3rd Edition
    http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manu...-%20Reduce.pdf

Lee Modern Reloading 2nd

To get started cheap you'll need this as a minimum

Press
    Priming device (lee ramp prime works well)
    Dies for the caliber you want to load
    Shell holder for the caliber
    Reloading block
    Lee dippers
    Funnel
    Case lube (rifle or bottle necked cartridges), Imperial sizing wax is what I recommend.

~Bazoo

USMC 77, USRA 79

I have one and use it as part of my range bag. Right next to it is a small box of bag balm... bag balm will right all evil!!! It's cheap, good for your hands, and very simple to use with the Lee. I have yet to get a stuck 223 or 308 case while using it. A dab on your fingers of one hand, is all it takes to make that thigh master a wonderful easy to use, sit in your chair and reload deal. Would also recommend you making a wooden reloading block with a drill bit to place cases in..

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

The Lee Hand press is great especially if you don’t have the room for a dedicated setup. If you do have the room, I’d search for a good used single stage press like those made by RCBS. If you buy quality right, you will never loose money if you decide it’s not for you and sell.

Boolit Grand Master

Ihave one that I sed mostly for 44 Magnum (not an easy to size cartridge) .223 and 30-30. None of the rifle cases were difficult to size, most less than the 44 Magnum. I have done everything with my Lee Hand Press thai I have done on any of my 4 bench mounted presses (but bullet sizing takes a bit of balance)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Howdy, welcome from Kentucky. I have a Lee hand press. I have loaded 30-30, and it was okay. Pistol ammo is easier. Thats not to say I wouldnt use the press for a lot of rifle cases, just that I prefer my bench press. The real benefit of the press is not the price, but that you do not have to have a bench to mount it to or a lot of space for a permanent set up. The reason I have one, is not its portability, Its just plain neat.

I started with, and still try to get, used equipment. That is one way to save some money. And, if you decided to get out of it, you can sell your gear and get your money back. Its also a risk that you'll get something thats messed up, but i've not had much trouble in that way. You might could find a used Hand press off ebay. Thats where I got mine, because I didnt want the breech lock version.

You need to get a manual. I recommend the Lyman 48 or 49 or 50(I havent read that one). It will not only tell you which and how much powder for your cartridge/bullet selection, it will teach you the loading procedure step by step. It will explain safety and each component and give you some theory on the subject. Each manual edition will have different articles in them apart from the basic how to, thats why we all have various manuals.

You can use a digital manual such as these, but make sure you read the How to sections, and not just flip to the data section.

Lyman 48th

Lyman cast bullet handbook 3rd Edition
    http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manu...-%20Reduce.pdf

Lee Modern Reloading 2nd

To get started cheap you'll need this as a minimum

Press
    Priming device (lee ramp prime works well)
    Dies for the caliber you want to load
    Shell holder for the caliber
    Reloading block
    Lee dippers
    Funnel
    Case lube (rifle or bottle necked cartridges), Imperial sizing wax is what I recommend.

~Bazoo
    I have one but find it most useful for seating/crimping at the range. Using already prepped brass. Allows one to try different loads when looking for that "perfect" powder and amount that a specific firearm likes.

I would say a C press mounted on a 5/8 or 3/4 piece of plywood with enough wood projecting out the sides that you can clamp it down with C clamps would serve you better at around the same cost. I used mine that way until I built a bench and just mounted the plywood base I had been clamping.

There was at least some mention of just buy a full sized press since if you decide to sell it the value doesn't go down a huge amount and there is a ready market. My personal preference is the Lee Classic Cast turret at $106 but have heard good things about the Lee Value Turret at $83, the classic cast O press is another excellent tool that will load anything you might want to load. One can use a turret as a single stage press BUT can also set it up to auto rotate and with a couple of additional devices speed up loading. I load large rifle as single stage, most pistol is loaded using the auto rotate and powder dispenser.

The C press will cost the same as your hand loader and as long as you can find a place to clamp it to will probably be easier to use than the hand press. If you continue with reloading you will find a use for it. Someone mentioned sizing, I use my first C press for that and trimming brass, as well as seating gas checks.

You can go further with a full sized O or Turret press and despite the purchase price being higher they are fairly easy to sell without much loss if you decide to move on. They too can be temporarily mounted on plywood and clamped to a picnic table, bench, kitchen table, wood bar stool, etc. only while being used.

Those books suggested I would start with the Lyman Cast bullet handbook. Good overview and load data is all for cast lead bullets.
    Lee deluxe die sets come with the shell holder and a dipper to measure powder, along with a list of powders that will work with that dipper for that caliber and assorted bullet weights.
    I would try and get a scale as soon as possible. The dipper is pretty fool proof but limited. A set of dippers as suggested can be useful ( I bought one) but I would put a scale ahead of it.

Hand press will work, but I always saw it as an additional tool rather than a primary tool. Good luck and don't forget you can always post a WTB (wanted to buy) in the swapping and selling forum and possibly pick up some items for a better price. I bought a lot of my equipment from Titan Reloading a site sponsor, their logo at the top of the page is a link to their store. But here is one that is direct to their Lee equipment. https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...ding-equipment
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Vendor Sponsor

If you just want to check out Reloading buy a Lee classic Loader. It is around $35 and will do everything needed to reload whatever cartridge it is made for. You can always get your $35 back out if you want.

As far as Hand Presses go the one to have is this one. www.buchananprecisionmachine.com/

it will stand up by itself.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I too, was not sure if reloading was for me. So I started with the Lee Loader in .223 Rem. I liked it, so then I tried the Lee Hand Press for .223Rem and .308Win. I decided that reloading was for me, so went with a bench press for seven rifle and pistol calibers. I still use the Lee Hand Press with a dedicated universal depriming die. No regrets.

Boolit Master

I love that universal depriming die. The hand press with universal die is cheaper than the Frankford Aresenal depriming tool. Wish there was a way to modify the hand press to dispose of primers easier.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master
    Watch a YouTube video of various presses in use and decide for yourself.

Remember that loading 20-30 rounds is not the same as loading 100-200.

Working up loads at the shooting bench may sound beneficial until you try weighing powder charges in the wind and factor in lugging around the stuff you need. If you shoot at a busy range, you will tick people off if you are loading as you shoot. But you may not care

We all have different needs...refrain from letting equipment cost be the deciding factor. You will not reload much if it becomes a chore.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    OP, as you can see from the range of answers, this is a personal question and the answers you get will vary based on the personal experiences and biases of those who respond. I can only add a few of my own observations which are worth just about what you are paying me for them!

First, there are three factors involved in answering your question... #1 being the number of rounds you will be loading. If you will be loading a box or so a couple of times a month, you can probably get by with anything. The second factor is how much and what kind of space you have... a dedicated space (even a small one) in a fixed space is very different from complete set up and tear down each session. Finally, your budget can have a big influence on how you deal with the other two.

I have loaded in a 13’ camper with one of the pre-breechlock Lee presses in limited (less than 100 rd) volumes. That works fine, especially for simple loads or a few experimental loads at a time. I wouldn’t want this to be my sole means of reloading, but it could be done.

Bottom line, read what everybody else says then make your decision based on your personal situation, especially keeping in mind the factors I mentioned. Enjoy and good luck.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I started my reloading hobby with the Lee hand press. The breech lock kit that included the ram prime, lube, and funnel. I bought a set of Lee 45 acp dies that came with a powder dipper, a scale, set of calipers, and the Lee book. It all fit in a small leather tote that I could shove under the bed.
    I sat at the kitchen table and loaded my first rounds, had good results right off and was hooked.

It is a perfect solution for a person that has no room for a bench or dedicated area. It suits the guy looking to see if reloading is for them. It is a real press, I know some guys load big rifle on it. I know guys bring the kit right to the range and will load up test rounds.

It is definitely not for volume production. You can shoot up in 15 minutes at the range what took two hours to load. I did that, and then ordered up a LCT shortly after and built a small but sturdy bench(20"x40") to fit in my tiny apt.

I still have the press because it is a great back up.

(someone actually posted a link to a 300 dollar hand press? hahaha....hilariously ridiculous)

Boolit Grand Master
    One financial aspect no one has mentioned is that compared to buying the 310 Tool rig (which I have and love to use) or the Classic "Whack-a-Mole" Lee Loader (which I also have but use rarely) is that if you buy the basic Lee Hand Press (with or without the breech feature) is that the dies you buy for that press will also work with whatever "regular" bench press you happen to pick later when and if you decide to expand your operations. This is not a small consideration.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"