Load DataRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheap is expensive!

Boolit Mold

cheap is expensive!

Several years ago I looked into casting boolits and wrote it off as too much work. Fast forward to a week ago, when a good friend that works at a scrap metal place called..."hey, we got a bunch of bullet lead. Buck a pound if you want some"

I met up with him, gave him a hundred dollars, and waited. Fully expecting COWW, SOWW, or range scrap. He then brings out Saeco ingots marked "LINO"!

Ordered a Lee 4-20 pot and a .452 mold plus accessories from Midway...built a bench...bought PID stuff...just ordered a 4-20 upgrade kit.

Sheesh, my fun fund is GONE! Still have some stuff do get done, but should be casting in another week's time.

Thanks to all for the info I've read so far. I'm sure I'll make mistakes, but this place is a goldmine for learning.

I know what you're saying.

Turkey burner, cast iron smelting pot, ingot molds, ladle, bottom pour pot, molds, handles, hot plate... Haven't cast a single bullet yet. I need to start casting to start saving all my money!

Boolit Master

...convection oven, PC, airsoft BBs, non-stick aluminum, sizing die and bushings...

Then you start noticing molds you didn't know that you needed. Best to stay clear of the S&S forum!

Congrats on a great deal on lino!

Being a new caster myself, I can say that the first 100 pounds of lead went quickly!

Oh yeah. Forgot about the toaster oven. That was only 5 bucks though.

Boolit Master
    And molds.....so many molds, so many options, so many so many. Just threw my first worn out lee away....and I NEED more.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The savings will continue until all accounts are empty! Good luck you've only scratched the surface. keep us posted
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

just don't tell your friends, people for some reason , if you reload, think, wow, all the ammo they make is free, then soon will be asking for you to make some loads for their 30-30 or whatever. they don't get that means a mold a set of dies, not to mention time sweating over a furnace lol
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

It gets better.
    Every time you snoop around these forums you come away with the knowledge that there is another good bullet mold out there that you've just gotta have, but after you get that one the savings will start to pile up
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

oh and powder and primers, the boolit aint going to move itself. but really it is more about shooting way more for the same price, for me
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

And since lino is premium alloy way over what you need for most bullets now you need some plain lead or COWW's to stretch out that lino so you don't waste it.

It starts with one caliber, and grows to cover everything you shoot, then expands to buying dies or molds for calibers you want to buy "someday". This also leads to the need for a "stash" which can absorb money to fill all available storage space with lead, powder, and primers. If space is tight avoid loading for shotgun, wads and hulls come in bags big enough for the grandkids to make forts out of.

It IS fun, it IS NOT saving money. If it was I would be rich rather than broke with a garage full of lead
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    This hobby is a "black Hole" for money!

The melting and stuff to do it is the cheap part.

All those darned brass molds is there the $$ go!!!!!!!!!!!

In Remembrance

I remember all those years ago when I started casting that I wouldn`t need many molds to cover all my needs. Now fast forward to this Winter when I did a mold count of what I had. I believe I came up with 77 molds, some of which I have never used. What ever happened to my thought of only needing several molds?Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    It can save you money if you are smart. It is easy to let your wants overcome your needs.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    This hobby is a "black Hole" for money!
    You think this hobby is expensive, try pricing a bass boat!!! or golf?

The casting is so bad, it's the guns that go with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Now you need lead to cut the lino with.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Mold
    Goodwill had a toaster oven for $6, so now I need powder and bbs...need a hot plate too, which is why I went to Goodwill, but they didn't have one. Need to find a mold for the 375 now, too. And the 6.5x55, and the 280, and the 9mm, and the 10mm, and and and

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    I remember all those years ago when I started casting that I wouldn`t need many molds to cover all my needs. Now fast forward to this Winter when I did a mold count of what I had. I believe I came up with 77 molds, some of which I have never used. What ever happened to my thought of only needing several molds?Robert
    I remember thinking that too. The last time I counted molds I was pretty close to that number, so I decided to quit counting.

Robert

77 molds is a LITTLE over the top.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    77 molds is a LITTLE over the top.
    I got a hunch 77 is about average around here. Those Lee, Noe, and MiHek group buys really stacked them up fast for me. Not to mention all the old Lyman molds I picked up cheap around here when the old guys were giving it up.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I wish I could get lino for a dollar a pound. The last I got was a bit over $2 shipped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast