WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: 40 S&W from 9mm

40 S&W from 9mm

I made a point form die for the 40 s&w they seem a little long. Any one have any problems with over pressure when shot. These are around 190 gr. it would be nice to not have to trim the 9mm cases. I read some where that the 40 is sensitive to bullet seat depth. I don't want to move forward on this project till I get more info from guys that are shooting these type bullets.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Banned
    Seems a little heavy. And yes, be careful with the.40 it can be tricky. Just start light, and go up .1 at a time until you see flattened primers. Pick your most accurate target and you have your load. I would set the bullet back about .3 from the lands.

Boolit Bub
    If you can keep them from interfering with the case web while maintaining the 1.1250 min cartridge length youll be ok.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Banned
    Why not try a lighter core? I load cast/powder coated .40 at 7.0 gr HS-6 for a 165 gr round. Nice neat 1000 rd per can.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170319_153734_01.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	195335

Cant remember the weight for sure but the 9mm case gave me about 185 or so grains and the 380 case gave me about a 155gr bullet.

I have yet to try these myself so cant help there but trimming did give me alot more consistent bullet.

Those are nice looking bullets. I'm trying to figure out how to make mine look like XTP bullets. Seems guys have been shooting these bullets with no problems. On a different post I was asking about cases with out primers. I would think you could shoot these with out the primmer. I don't thing a guy would have the lead blow out through the primer flash hole. I have a lot of 9mm brass that was processed for reloading minus the primmer and I'm going to make bullets out of them.

Boolit Master

They will work fine without primmers.

As for the notching, i have BT snipers btx die.

These happen to be .429" bullets, but I also make them in other calibers using the same process:

Here's a top view:

The notching die can either be BTSniper's, or CH-4D makes a blank forming die that does the same thing. I've got both and they both work the same.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Fred, what's the inside of the die look like? Is it a two part die?

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow, but for me to post pictures it takes awhile with my super slow DSL.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

In Remembrance

For my .40"s, I use a 9mm Luger case trimmed down to 380 auto length (I'd use 380's, but they are a bit harder than 9's to find). I use a RCBS Pro Trim, with the hand crank replaced with a TORX screw (and no crank). I put a TORX driver bit in my drill motor, and really speed up the process of cutting. I do a quick ID and OD deburr on the cases. Then, I stuff a cast 93 grain 380 auto boolit as the core. I get the perfect 165 grain XTP style results. 165 is the same weight I have always shot with the .40 S&W. The Speer load data book even has a notation that the 165 bullet weight approximates the Law Enforcement load. I figure that if the Gov't spent all those tax dollars studying the .40 and came up with 165 grains as the perfect weight, who am I to argue? My early bullets were prior to my participation in Chuckbusters UCT (Ultimate Cannelure Tool). My current production includes a crimping cannelure.

When Brian changed the nose of the .40 bullets from a straight ogive to more of a curved ogive, the results were even more perfect.

There is a sticky thread with all of the discussion. Maybe the OP should have started there. Sometimes we get a bit, well.... lazy.

Here's the link. Leadchucker, you will find all your answers here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-far-and-cheap!
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 05-14-2017 at 09:34 AM.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Here's a photo of the BT Sniper Notching Die, with the rounding insert installed and the notching insert next to it:

Here's a photo of the C-H Blank Forming Die, with the internals removed so you can see the notching insert:

And here are both of them side by side:

Hope this helps.

Fred

Thanks for the pics that helps. Its pretty much what I had envisioned. Not sure if I'm skilled enough to make one.

Thanks Duke. I have read a lot of the stuff you posted especially the 5.7mmx28 for 30 cal and it has helped me alot. The 40 from 9mm is pretty strait forward. I also made dies for my 44 from 40 smithe cases. Same thing just a bigger version. This is fun stuff. Going to make 45 dies next.

For the Star crimp insert, to be honest you would be money ahead to buy it. If you can grind the faces you can do it yourself, and it is certainly a fun project just to do, but for the money I'd buy one.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master

A while back someone had posted red neck crimp dies, including homemade and shot gun crimper. Tried to find it, but no search I've done works. I think.the shotgun crimper may have been the choice one?????.
    Bill

This is one of the articles.

Bullet notching on the cheap?
    Last edited by just bill; 05-16-2017 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Found article.