RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: LLA leading issue

Boolit Man

LLA leading issue

Hey! I FINALLY got a tube of LLA a couple of days ago. Unfortunately it arrived with a large crack in the container and it was a solid mass of...something disgusting looking. Anyways, after a little perusing I found several threads that mentioned mineral spirits+old LLA=good lube. I gave that a shot and got AWEFUL leading in my Marlin 336 (30-30). I was using 8 grains of Red dot, which should theoretically have been pushing my lee 170gn FN around 1300 fps. Was I just pushing it too fast? Is it possible to use too much of a thinning agent? All the places I've read have addressed using too much lube, but I haven't found any that have reported using too little? Anyone had a similar experience? I'm letting a batch with a thicker mixture dry as we speak, but I thought I'd ask in the meantime.

Boolit Master

You may have an undersize, or soft bullet for what is probably microgroove rifling in your Marlin. Some Marlins are made with conventional rifling, but most are made with a lot of very small lands.

If you do a search, you'll find a lot of threads on how to get microgroove rifling to shoot cast bullets. In short, bullets need to be a little larger, harder, and with a gas check.

Might also try dipping bullet base in lube rather than tumble lubing. I don't do this in a big way but tried a few after an old timer that sells $5 packs of reloads at a gun show told me about it. He uses the plastic inserts from store bought box of bullets as a drying stand and just dips the base of his high powered stuff in LLA then sets them in the tray to dry before sizing. Lot more lube in the groove that way.

When I did it for 8mm mauser I followed sizing the dipped bullet with a tumble lube for good measure. They worked but I liked powder coat better. Still options is good.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat