Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Rusty Mould? Vinegar!

Boolit Master

Rusty Mould? Vinegar!

Well, I can't claim this as an original idea, I read it here somewhere a few days ago. My old Lyman 311041 had some rust in the cavities ( I know, I know, spank me.......) and when I read that I thought "Hmmmm, can't hurt!" I used some white vinegar and a clean toothbrush, that vinegar started bubbling as soon as it hit the metal! I scrubbed it for maybe one minute then rinsed with hot water. OMG! Coulda' knocked me over with a feather! It looked as good as new! I showed it to my wife, She said "I could have told you that would have worked, I use vinegar for cleaning lots of stuff!"
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Make sure you get it all off.

My Dad and I were building a Dock for his lake place. Asked the guy we bought the steel from what was the best way to clean all the crud off so we could get paint to stick. He said Vinegar.

We got it home, got some vinegar, setup sawhorses and worked every inch of every piece. Came out the next day to go to work, every inch of steel had an 1/8 inch of red fur on it. Yeah, did not get it all off again, combined with high humidity.

We polished on that steel for a week to get it back. I will admit, it held the paint. 24 years later dad sold it with the Cabin. Replaced deck once, but the frame. I'd of drove a small car out on that thing.

Little soda and water makes sure the acid is gone. Then I would heat it, drive off any moisture. Pour some lead in it will work.

Boolit Master
    I have used a soak in a citric acid solution to remove light rust on a mould. I have also used the same thing on a VERY heavily rusted small cast pot. After an overnight soak, there was "streamers" of rust hanging off the handle like Spanish moss off trees. Pot came up like new!
    R.D.M.

Banned
    both HF and HD sell a good water based rust remover.

Boolit Master

Baking soda mixed with water will neutralize the vinegar. Or one could simply get some Evapo-Rust.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Moderator Emeritus

I noticed some light rust on a Lyman mold and used Balistol on it....cleaned up great.....like the vinegar solution information.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Will vinegar remove the blueing on a rifle if used to clean off some light rusting?

Thank You
    Michael Grace
    +1 on PIF's

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Baryngyl View Post
    Will vinegar remove the blueing on a rifle if used to clean off some light rusting?

Thank You
    Michael Grace
    Yep. Bluing is rust.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Sugar soap removes acid. Bicarb neutralizes acetic acid just fine but bicarb in itself causes rusting. Dish washing liquid breaks down rust quite well, especially when hot. It can be used neat or in a strong solution. It also removes oils which means the steel will start rusting again if not oiled.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 05-11-2017 at 03:04 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''