RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quest for store bought bullets

Boolit Master
    Thanks Lewis.

I will be shooting some more of the 450gn PP bullets. I like that size/weight and would even go for some 400gn if they made them. I also think 550gn is too big for this twist, but, I am trying those GG bullets just as a lark. At 50m I didn't have any sign of keyholes but I bet at 200m and maybe even 100m they will start to tumble.

I am using the Ampco/Tresco nipples. I have two so am monitoring the one in the gun to see when it starts to erode. So far the same drill bit will go through both the used one and new one.

I am also weighing charges on most of my loads. I use an electronic scale so the charges are all within .1gn. I say most of the loads because when I try a change at the range, as I did with the Hornady bullets, I will use the measure. Not as accurate I know. But, in that case weighed 80gn charges were horrible and measured 100gn charges were less than half the size. I will try them with weighed charges next time. I also do not weigh RB charges yet.

And, it is due to your experience that I am trying the veggie wads. I agree with your conclusions.

Another thing I have not tried yet is the single wrap paper system. That is also on my 'list' of things to try.

Keep in mind this is a relatively new gun and I have less than 200rd through it. This was my first range session with this gun where I was carefully monitoring what was going on with each load. As such I am also going to try using the felt wads again in a more careful back to back comparison.

What I have not liked before is swabbing before loading the powder. I just did not like it. Loading the powder, wad and then swabbing was much better for me. YMMV

Now I will try to focus on just a couple of variables per range session to see if I can get the groups down smaller. Yes, my goal is to get 1" groups at 100yds.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Yes, my goal is to get 1" groups at 100yds.

charlie b, You will get there! You are on the right track, keep hammering away, i am confident you will find it!! Each rifle has their own quirks/likes dislikes, If you can get some Pyro P powder i would definitely give that a try, 80 Grains of it

Boolit Master
    Yeah, that is on my list too. I am also going to try to get some real black. Hard to do here as the city I am in now has decided it is illegal to own or sell it.

Boolit Master
    So, one other thing I found on another forum. From a long range competition shooter.

Have any of you tried a veggie/card wad, then lubed felt, then the bullet? His combination was for a Gibbs shooting PP bullet.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    So, one other thing I found on another forum. From a long range competition shooter.

Have any of you tried a veggie/card wad, then lubed felt, then the bullet? His combination was for a Gibbs shooting PP bullet.
    I feel the .060 Thou Vege fibre wad is doing everything needed, The lubed felt wad might help some with fouling? I can't see that this would hurt anything, worth a try i suppose

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I kinda think it might be overkill, but, it was from Art Fleener.

Boolit Master
    OK, so out to the range today.

I did find out that I am at my limits with the sight inserts I used. Std front post and larger rear aperture. I need to change the rear aperture to something my eyes can work with. I found I can hold to within 1 or 1 1/2" at 70yd but that is about it. I need to take the time to find the right combination for me. I have the Lee Shavers inserts for the front. Need to find a better rear aperture, maybe pay the money for a Merit.

So pictures. Note that I had some shooting issues Believe it or not, I called the fliers as I jerked the trigger.

First were the .492dia 450 gn PP bullets from Buffalo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170529_071952.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	196542

Then I went to the .501 dia 550 gn grease groove bullets. Out to this range they still seem to be stable. Not sure if they will remain stable at 100yd or further.

Name:	20170529_073515.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	196543

Last was the Hornady Great Plains 385gn. These really seem to like the 100gn of powder

Name:	20170529_080125.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	196544

Yes, two bullets seem to have made one slightly enlarged hole

Note that no wiping was done at all, even between bullet types. All had a .060 veggie wad and a Oxyoke Wonder Wad (lubed felt). The additional lubed felt was was new to this batch of shots.

I did have a couple of delayed ignitions (very slight) but that did not seem to open up the groups.

All loads were weighed. Bullets were not weighed. I guess I need to do that next just to make sure of any variance.

So, after experimenting with different sights I will go out to 100yd.

Boolit Master
    PS in case it is not obvious, the grid is 1" squares.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12