Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Looking to buy a pellet gun...

Boolit Buddy

Looking to buy a pellet gun...

...suitable for small game.

I have a crosman 1377 pellet pistol but want a rifle. I've at a variety of options from Crosman to Gamo to Benjamin...would like made in the USA but realize I may be foregoing some good options if I do that.

I also think I want something that delivers the pellet at >1000 fps but don't know if that's necessary. Looking to stay <$150 if possible. Would be interested to hear your opinions.

Boolit Master
    First, forget about made in the USA. lol Second look to Germany or Turkey. You can't beat a Beeman for accuracy and longevity. I've had mine for over 35yrs. Benjamin, Hatsan, Diana, RWS & Weihrauch are all good guns. I would go with .22 or even 25 cal. 800-1,000 fps. I'm looking at .25cal myself. Go with a break barrel in spring-piston or gas/nitro-piston. $150 isn't going to get you much more than a Chinese made rifle like Gamo, they are OK at best and the cheap air rifles are very loud! You can get a good air rifle for between $150-$300. The guns branded Winchester or Remington are all Chinese as well. Also now they use the lightest pellets which are now plastic to determine velocity, so 800fps is closer to 725fps with lead hunting pellets. Check out this video https://youtu.be/2_CqIpKBbZk Also check these links http://www.beeman.com/store/subcateg...ret_id=1240879 http://www.pyramydair.com/air-rifles http://www.airgundepot.com/new-air-rifles.html Good luck, Jason

Boolit Master
    You also need to consider scopes for a springer. Ther are a vew inexpensive scopes but decent glass that will handle foward recoil isnt cheap.

Agree with NYfirefighter.

Gamo, Crossman if you start digging you find lots of unhappy customers. Guns that don't last as long as they should.

I recently bought a Hatsan 135 QE Vortex. That is a .22 rifle that shoots 14.3 gr pellets at 1000 fps, 27-29 fpe. But you won't find it for 150$. It costs 300$

For hunting I would stay away from .177.

Be aware that most manufacturers use lead free pellets which are lighter to make their guns look better. They tend to be 150 to 200 fps slower than they say. The exception is Hatsan which uses lead pellets of standard size 14.3's and who's FPS can pretty much be counted on.

If you scope such a rifle your standard rifle scope won't stand up, and chances are neither will the rings.

On my Hatsan 135 I have a Hammers 3x9x32 with a one piece mount that sells for 60$ on amazon and is awesome. Adjustable objective means you can set up a 20 foot range in your basement and be able to adjust the scope so that all is clear and sharp. Mildot reticule for easy hold over and windage adjustment.

If you are not willing to commit to that kind of expense, I'd suggest a multi pump pneumatic like the Sheridan Blue Streak in .20 or Crossman's in .22.

They won't put out the speed you want, but they will suffice for small game, squirrels, rabbits, birds.

Boolit Master

+ 1 for the bluestreak pump. I grew up on a Sheridan and often squirrel hunted with it because it didn't scare the squirrels out of the county. Just used Daisey premium wad cutters to cleanly take anything up to rabbit size out to 30 yards or so.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Buddy

This is the input I was looking for, thanks.

I have killed squirrel with my 1377, albeit at very close range.

Boolit Mold
    I think Gamo is made in Spain

Perma-Banned
    I have a RWS 460 magnum for sale. 22 caliber 1000 fps, deadly ! See swap and sell.

Boolit Master
    IIRC, the new Beeman lines are made in China, I believe that any of their R series are Weirauch made in Germany. RWS/Diana are German, also. The Hatsan's are a good value and not a piece of junk. Check out Field Sports for reman hatsans for a very fair price. I got a 100x Torpedo, new for about 160.00 on one of their sales. It has performed very well.

A good quality gas ram/springer will last your lifetime and over the years, will cost you very little to own.

Boolit Master
    I would (did) get a Benjamin 392. Made in USA, all wood and metal, plenty of power for small game. Those brass Benjamin pumpers really do last a lifetime, and there are lots of them still kicking around after 50+ years to prove it. Some people claim that springers last a lifetime, but I've never seen one that was 50 years old. And certainly not a gas ram, since they have only existed for a few years.

You don't need 1000 fps. Most hunting pellets do their best work at around 800 fps; those inflated velocity numbers you see on the box a springer comes in are only good for one purpose: marketing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrk1500 View Post
    I think Gamo is made in Spain
    Originally they were. Now most of them are made in China.

Boolit Master
    Im a springer guy. I have had most of the top (normal) guns. HW Beeman RWS an and Air Arms. My advice is to stay away from springers unless you are willing to drop some serious cash. They are hold sensetive and need expensive scopes. Im currently shooting a TX200. Springers are best @ 12 fpe or less. That is not what most people want to hear. If you are going cheap buy a 392. Spend a bit more and get a pcp.

I know people will chime in about springers. I love them but getting one to shoot is not for everyone.

I have to admit, if I had to go down to 1 air rifle it would be my Sheridan Blue Streak in .20. Now I have a Hatsan Vortex that is more accurate, and more powerful. After waiting and watching for 40 years it is nice to see it happened. But the question is this. Will it last for 40 years with only a drop of oil once a decade and maybe a oiled patched pulled through the barrel two or 3 times a decade?

That is the question. I suspect it will not be as long term dependable. And I suspect it will be more specialized parts dependent.

There is a LOT you can fix on a blue streak with a couple of different sizes of O ring found at any hardware store. Perhaps a new roll pin or a bolt or 2.

I know what the Sheridan is capable of.
    The Hatsan has different advantages. Like being easily scoped, only needs a single cocking vs the 3 pumps or more for the Sheridan.

I think the Sheridan is quieter, but at lower power it should be.

With the pumpers, I found the vast majority of the time that 3 or 4 pumps was enough. As long as you were inside 30-35 yards, 3 would drop any bird on the wire, squirrel on the branch, or rabbit in Ma's flower garden. Target placement as always is the key.

In a SHTF either would work. And having 2 seperate, different systems is IMO better than only having one.

Either way stack your ammo wide and deep if you are thinking SHTF.
    And either is a better long term solution IMO than .22lr.

Air rifles do a good job of bridging the gap between center fire and something small and quiet for close in work. Some will reach right out there past 50 yards with great accuracy.

Figure out what works for you and run with it.
    Any of them is IMO better than nothing. And if that is all you can afford for personal defense, better keep it ready to rock and roll. You may only get 1 shot. Make it count.

IMO still better than bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I went through a lot of springer's when I first started shooting air rifles . Best I ever had was a RWS 46 under lever . Far from a Storm that I started with . And the whole time I was going from cheap to the RWS .I kept telling my self that when I was 10 my old Wards 140 22 cal [ made by crosman ] was a more accurate rifle by far . Then the Discovery was introduced and all springer's were sold . What kept me away from the 392 was the issue with a scope mount . But I believe that might have changed by now . What I did for close pest work . Was a 1377 with a steel breach and a 24 inch barrel . As well as a shoulder stock . And mounted a scope on it . If I had to start all over again the springer's would not be bought . I would consider the 392 or go with a 1377 or 1322 with the mods mentioned ] and save a lot of time and aggravation . Marvin

Another plug for a 392. I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier.
    So far i'm shooting the iron sights that came on it, but plan to order a scope mount for it this week or next.
    It's probably only in the 650 fps. range with 14.3 gr. pellets, so about 12 to 13 foot pounds of energy, but blows through steel dog food cans at 50 yds.

5 1/2 pounds in weight and not hold sensitive at all off hand or from the bench.
    Should be a great little small game rifle...the only complaint i've found with it is they come with a bit of paint overpray in the muzzle. This needs to be cleaned out (i used non chlorinated break cleaner and cu tips) for best accuracy.

My brother went with a Hatsan 95 and loves it, but is a bit jealous of my 392s light weight for hunting. His Hatsan seems just as accurate and is ,of course, about 200 ft. per second faster than the 392.
    Both guns seem to be built like tanks for longevity.

BTW, my brother's 95 is a "bit" hold sensitive compared to my 392 according to him.
    Last edited by 35 shooter; 05-08-2017 at 11:00 PM.

I also have a pair of 1322's, and they are good for what they do.
    Fine for targets in the basement with 2 pumps. And with a few more pumps they would certainly work for critters at close range.

I looked at the steel breech and went with a different system.

I went instead with the Clevercraft weaver mounting system.
    Partly because the steel breech leaves you with the 11mm mounting system which I am not totally fond of.

Partly because the steel breech really has nothing except the barrel fitting into the breech for a short distance to keep breech/barrel/sight aligned.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dlbarr; I have an Umarex Octane .177 that I'd sell you for $150 + shipping or I'd consider trades (No cheap air guns) Truth is, I can't get the accuracy I need from this rifle but it does have power. If it's legal to ship to your area make me an offer (PM) the Center Point scope that came with it goes with it. I'm not sure if it's the rifle, the scope or just me that's causing me grief but so far the fps. is it's best feature. Gp

Boolit Master
    As many pellets as I've been using up lately I need to build a shot tower to throw .22 round balls by the bucket full.
    The old time Crosman .22 rifles used round ball. They were popular with primitive hunters in Asia, the OSS even contracted Crosman to make rifles for use as gifts to persuade tribal hunters to report Japanese movement in their territory. They also ordered millions of rounds of .22 round ball to go with the rifles.
    Even the most primitive village could construct a shot tower if need be.

Boolit Master

Hatsan Edge Vortex 22. You can get at Amazon for a 100 dollar bill.