Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new .22

My new .22

Woke up this morning with a cold. I have been wanting a .22 since I'm doing some small game hunting later this year so I decided to drive around Colorado Springs for a nice used rifle. I was leaning toward a bolt action .22 looked and looked and wasn't really finding anything I wanted to invest in. Saw a few overpriced foreign made rifles and just when I was about to give up I stopped into a local pawn shop I hadn't ever been in. To my surprise there was an old Marlin "Original Golden model 39M" made in the beautiful USA on the rack. The rifle sports a Lyman peep sight, a 100th anniversary brass badge on the walnut stock, and a brass butt plate. The rifle was priced at $400 a little over my budget since cheap .22's can be had for less than $200 NEW. I got to talking to the gentlemen behind the counter the manager didn't want to budge on price since it had just got in yesterday. I was able to walk out with the rifle for $380 + tax and BGC. I wasn't really looking for a model 39 in particular but I have always wanted one just couldn't justify the price the older ones like this one have been going for until now. What do you gentlemen think?
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0920.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	194913Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0920.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	194913
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0919.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    That's a sweet looking rifle you have there

One of the best 22s ever built, and hands down best 22 lever action- bar none. You got a good
    deal too. Lyman sight in good shape will go for $100. I would have jumped on that one myself.
    39s are in high demand. They don't make them anymore. If you want a new lever Henry is about
    your only choice. The Marlin is a better gun and a better investment. The Win 9422 and Browning
    are nice guns but not really a classic like the Marlin 39 series. Nice Buy!

Boolit Master
    Nice score!

Boolit Master

Really nice rifle there. I think you did very well.
    Hope you enjoy it,
    Rick

Boolit Bub
    Very nice!

Banned
    Worth every penny.

Boolit Master
    You won't believe how few parts there is in its action when you open the receiver to give it a good cleaning. Just be careful when matching the receiver halves. You'll encounter very tight {fitting together} tolerances between the two halves.

Now you'll have to shop & shoot different ammo to find the best grouping ammo your 39m likes.

BTW: I paid 350.00 for my Golden triggered 39 in the late 90s and it didn't come with a dandy Lyman peep.

That was money well spent, and I would have jumped on that in a heartbeat with the peep sight especially! Nice wood too.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master

Marlin Model 39

Other than the "100th Year Badge," your Model 39 is identical to mine, even including the Lyman aperture sight. I bought mine while stationed in Texas in the early 70s. It's sent more than a few rodents and rabbits to the Promised Land.

You made a wise choice in buying the Model 39. The barrel is screwed into the receiver like a high power rifle, they take down for easy cleaning and they are real blued steel and walnut. Great guns. Mine is traveling to Montana in another month for some rodent extermination.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marlin Model 39 01-800-90%.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Thank you gentlemen I'm glad I picked it up and the price didn't scare me away. I'm hoping to send some lead down range with it soon.

If I found one for less than $400 in that condition she would definitely be mine. Congrats on a good find and a good buy. You are going to be so much happier with that model 39 than you would with a $200 rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

It was the second longest produced gun till they quit making it. Colt SAA is first.
    And the best .22 lever action. Ever. You done good my friend.
    Best, Thomas.

Banned
    You have done yourself a favor that you will enjoy for many many years. Congratulations.

Moderator Emeritus

That's the shorter barreled, straight stocked "Mounty" version, and my favorite model and favorite .22 of all time. I traded a buddy out of one of the "Article II" models a shot time back, and gave it to my son to replace the one he had growing up that I'd redone for him. Both are VERY accurate .22's, and dead nuts reliable with shorts, longs or long rifle ammo. It really just doesn't get any better. It would take a VERY high grade target rifle with custom tailored ammo to outshoot my son's old rifle. He once took a dove off a light wire (not something I taught him, but I wasn't there, but some of his buddies were) at at least 125 yds. with its peep sight and 1/32" white bead! Yeah, there was some luck involved in that shot, but .... he did similar things too often for me to think it was ALL luck! It's good to see your kids out-shooting you! Sure makes a fella' proud!

Boolit Grand Master
    I am pretty sure that fire arm is unsafe--there is a hole in the barrel. You better sell it to me before someone gets hurt.
    But seriously, I love those and you got one at a great price. My brother and I both have them and they are simply outstanding.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Man
    Looks like a Mountie.

Worth every bit of $400.

The new Marlins don't even come close to the craftsmanship of the older ones. I have a few Marlin lever guns, but the Mountie is by far my favorite. Truly an exceptional gun, and could not be produced today for 4 bills.

Boolit Grand Master

Gorgeous pictures MS.

380Auto, you did very well on an iconic firearm. I've not been so lucky. Best I've done was a BL-22 for $200 or $225 IIRC.

Boolit Bub
    Sweet deal!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast