Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Anyone ever seen these cases?

Boolit Mold

Anyone ever seen these cases?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	225 ROCKET ROUND.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	194868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300R ROUND.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	194869

So, I recently ended up with a couple of boxes of the above ammunition and reformed brass that I can't find in any of my books or on line.

The round on the left is formed from the .225 Winchester Case. The case length with the projectile pulled is 1.910", the case neck outside diameter is .284". The projectile that has been loaded is a .257/120 Grain/Boat Tail. The box has " 25 Rocket" written on it.

The round on the right is formed from a Lake City Match .308 Win. Case. The case length is 2.02 ", and the case neck outside diameter is .332". The projectile that has been loaded is a .308/130 Grain/Spitzer. The box is labeled 300R.

Any thoughts?

Boolit Master
    One of The Only cases Called Rocket was a 1950's cartridge Originally made By Roy Weatherby called the 220 Rocket . this was His first Idea Based On the 220 swift. . . As far as I know Non had a Weatherby Headstamp. This may be some ones creating On a 225 winchester case
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Hmmm... If you had one of the long-necked 25/35 improved cartridges such as the 25/35 tomcat or the 25/35 ICL coyote, and you ran a 225 Win case into the die, well you'd have just about what your picture looks like. It would be a bit shorter in the neck than it is supposed to be, but you'd have stouter brass for your wildcat loads. Back in the days when 225 Win cases were readily available us folks with wildcats based on the 30/30 or 25/35 case might be tempted to use 225 Win to make our cartridges. That 225 Win brass is thicker stuff, made for higher pressures than the 30/30 brass.

I myself used 225 Win to make 219 Improved zipper cartridges. The rim is a little thin but us folks with wildcats just headspaced on the shoulder rather than the rim so the rim difference was irrelevant.

Just guessin'....

And your second cartridge -- I can't tell from the picture how it differs from standard 308 Win. Is the shoulder blown forward a little?

The company that was well known for using the 225 Win as a base for their cartridges was Merrill (Rex Merrill out of CA, Rex's cartridges were caliber with, like 30 Merrill), later to become RPM (Jim Rock, Rock Pistol Mfg, Tuscon, AZ) If I recall correctly, the 25 Rocket was one of the several Rocket (play on Rock) rounds Jim developed for the use in the RPM XL handgun. Wrote this from memory then found the below article, note the last paragraph.

https://americanhandgunner.com/exclu...l-single-shot/

Ed
    Last edited by Sur-shot; 05-08-2017 at 02:00 PM.
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Mold
    Thanks a ton, guys. The .30 R case has a more squared shoulder, and the case neck has been thinned. The XL Pistol reminds me a lot of The Competitor Single Shot Pistol.