Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: AA #5 and #2 Anybody try them in rifles?

Boolit Master

AA #5 and #2 Anybody try them in rifles?

I was recently gifted some AA #5 and #2. AA #5 has a burn rate close to unique and #2 close to green dot. I use unique and green dot in several rifle cartridges with plain base bullets at 1200-1500fps and was wondering about substituting with the Accurate powders, since Alliant powders have been hard to come by. Can't find any data for the Accurate powders in anything other than pistol cartridges.
    Anybody use them?

Boolit Master

What calibers?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    Yeah, guess I should have added calibers. Everything that I shoot low velocity plinking loads with plain based bullets- Bee, Hornet, 25-20, 32-20, 222, 22-250.

Boolit Grand Master
    Accurate is good at answering questions. Fire off an e-mail

http://www.accuratepowder.com/contact-us/

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Shiloh- I did, after checking their online load data. They did answer my question promptly. They said #2 and #5 powders were too fast for the calibers I asked about, with the possible exception of 32-20. They did send along some data for 32-20, but curiously, it didn't include any mention of #2 or #5 powders. Since Unique and green dot, which are very close to the same burn rate of #5 and #2, are pretty common powders for plinking loads in rifle cartridges, I got the feeling they don't get into developing data for cast bullets in rifles, other than using their 5744 powder. I can see their point, we lead shooters are a small segment of their market.
    I asked here mostly to see if anybody had any problems with getting the small amounts of those powders to burn, if there were erratic velocities, anything else that might help me from having to reinvent the wheel when I start trying them, or that they didn't work in those calibers at all.

Boolit Master

I've used it for both the 25-20 & 32-20 with good results.

Boolit Mold
    I run AA #5 in all my rifles. I don't use unique. #5 has almost identical burn rate as unique but meters out of any powder measure with unreal accuracy. It even burns cleaner for me. I use a vegetable fiber wad directly under the bullet or gas check. I use it in everything from 30-30 win. to 45-70 and everything in between. AA#5 is not position sensitive and the accuracy it delivers in my rifles is outstanding.

Boolit Master

In the 30-30 7 gr AA#5 and a 130 gr boolit is a fine plinking and put a rabbit in the pot load.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the responses.
    I tried AA 5 in the 32-20 yesterday with Lyman 3118 bullets. My normal load is 5.5gr unique, at 1400fps. I started with 4gr AA5 and went up in .5gr increments. 4gr gave 950fps. 6.5gr AA 5 was 1380fps, so I stopped there. The powder didn't appear to be position sensitive, and was clean burning, as mentioned by 45bullet. Haven't tried to shoot for accuracy yet, chasing gobblers is taking up a bunch of my time, plus it has been extremely windy. I set up a target while chronographing, to help keep things lined up, and my target board blew over three times before I was done. Takes a good bit of wind to do that.

Banned

I shot a lot of 3030 with a 150 cast and 5 grains of aa2 and in the 35 rem with the same charge and a 180 cast. Keep in mind though that I'm using pr200 which was a surplus version of aa2

Boolit Buddy
    AA# 5 = Lovex Do36 is a very fine and accurate Powder for Cast Bullets

i use it for 6,5x55, 7x5x55,.303 Brit. and 8x57
    10,5grs for 6,5x55 with Lyman 144 grs Bullet all other between 11 and 13 grs. with Lee 312- 185 grs or NOE 216-200 grs or 326-215 grs
    mostly 12,2 - 12,6 grs

the same Powder for 44-40 Win and 45-70 Gov

Klaus