WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate pecan pie

Boolit Grand Master

Chocolate pecan pie

As if pecan pie is not good enough all by itself , chocolate just puts it over the top !
    I didn't really think I would like this , you know it sounds like it would be too much.
    I was wrong.....it's a winner!

Chocolate Pecan Pie

1 1/2 cups pecans, pieces or lightly rough chop if whole .
    1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell
    4 beaten eggs
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    1/2 cup dark corn syrup
    1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1 pinch salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Spread the pecan pieces and the chocolate chips evenly on the bottom of the pie shell.
    Whisk the remaining ingredients together. Pour the filling over the pecans.
    Place on a cookie sheet and bake for about 1 hour or until the filling sets.
    When the pie center reaches 200 degrees the pie is done.
    Let cool at least 30 to 60 mins before slicing.
    Serve with a drizzle of caramel sauce or ( my favorite )Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream. It's GOOD !

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 11-27-2018 at 03:14 PM. Reason: corrected oven temp. should be 350 degrees
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I have had it (never made one) and you are correct ....they are good !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Banned

I started making them when I bought one of Emeril Lagasse's cook books that had a recipe.

Nowdays I just use the recipe on the Karo bottle and add 1/2 cup chocolate chips. I did find that it works better to add the chocolate chips last, after you pour the batter in the crust. When you try to add them to the batter, they want to bunch up when you mix it. My experience, anyway.

It makes sense that GW's recipe says to put the pecans and chips down first then.

Vendor Sponsor

We like the Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie and use Southern Comfort instead of bourbon. Freakin' AWESOME what else is there to say?

Steen's is THE cane syrup to use for any kind of pecan pie. I ordered a can of it for last years holiday pies, well worth the investment! I much prefer it over corn syrup.

My gf's recipe for this pie is in the cookin' recipes somewhere..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

I remember that! I even looked up the cane syrup on Amazon. Just haven't gotten a round tuit.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    I remember that! I even looked up the cane syrup on Amazon. Just haven't gotten a round tuit.
    I am going to get a bottle of Charles Poirier's cane syrup but there won't be any until January 2018. I guess you could get on a waiting list. This is real Louisiana hand made small batch cane syrup, it will never get any better.

https://www.facebook.com/PoiriersCaneSyrup/
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Doing it old style . Yep , takes time . Bet it's a better product .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    We like the Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie and use Southern Comfort instead of bourbon. Freakin' AWESOME what else is there to say?

Steen's is THE cane syrup to use for any kind of pecan pie. I ordered a can of it for last years holiday pies, well worth the investment! I much prefer it over corn syrup.

My gf's recipe for this pie is in the cookin' recipes somewhere..
    Wait, let's see if I have this right...Pecan Pie + Chocolate + Southern Comfort + Steens Syrup !
    Whoa Momma .....This could be a real winner .
    Ask your GF if she would consider sharing it with us.....I would love to try it !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Wait, let's see if I have this right...Pecan Pie + Chocolate + Southern Comfort + Steens Syrup !
    Whoa Momma .....This could be a real winner .
    Ask your GF if she would consider sharing it with us.....I would love to try it !
    Gary
    It *IS* a winner here at our house!! We use a butter crust recipe because it has no shortening. Shortening is pure trans fats and very unhealthy to eat so.... Here is the Bon Appetit Butter Crust recipe, followed by our own recipe for Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie..

Ingredients

Makes 2 nine-inch deep-dish crusts
    • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    • 1 tablespoon sugar
    • 3/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unslated butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    • 6 tablespoons (about) ice water

Preparation

Mix flour, sugar, and salt in processor. Add butter; pulse until coarse meal forms.
    Gradually blend in enough ice water to form moist clumps. Gather dough into ball; divide in half.
    Form dough into 2 balls; flatten into disks. Wrap each in plastic; chill 2 hours or overnight.

When ready to make crust, allow ball to warm slightly and roll out to make crust and place into 9" deep dish pie pan.
    Extra ball of dough can be frozen for future use.

Now for the pie, this is the Southern Living recipe which we have adapted:

Ingredients

• 1/2 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts < See above recipe for crust
    • 1 1/2 cups chopped toasted pecans < We used 2cups chopped pecans, toasted in a cast iron skillet until slightly darkened.
    • 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate morsels < We used Ghiradelli 86% bar, chopped, plus 8oz, Ghiradelli 60% chocolate chips.
    • 1 cup dark corn syrup < We used 2/3cup Steen's Pure Cane Syrup and 1/3cup Muddy Pond sorghum syrup.
    • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
    • 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    • 1/4 cup bourbon or water < We used Southern Comfort 102 proof bourbon which is actually a liquer.
    • 4 large eggs
    • 1/4 cup butter, melted
    • 2 teaspoons plain white cornmeal
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    • 1/2 teaspoon table salt

How to Make It

• Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Fit piecrust into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp. Sprinkle pecans and chocolate evenly onto bottom of piecrust.

• Stir together corn syrup and next 3 ingredients in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Remove from heat.

• Whisk together eggs and next 4 ingredients. Gradually whisk one-fourth of hot corn syrup mixture into egg mixture; add to remaining hot corn syrup mixture, whisking constantly. Pour filling into prepared piecrust.

• Bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until set; cool pie completely on a wire rack (about one hour).
      __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

*Notes*
      You may use whatever chocolate pieces or chopped bar you like, we liked the taste overall of mixing half and half Ghiradelli 86% cacao bar and Ghiradelli 60% cacao chocolate chips, and we used more than the recipe called for so 1 1/2 cups chocolate total?

You can use half cane syrup and half sorghum syrup for a wonderfully complex and fruity tasting sweetness profile.

We used a quiche pan to bake in since adding extra pecans and extra chocolate would pretty much run over a standard 9" deep dish pie pan.

We also toasted the pecan pieces on the stove top in a cast iron skillet until they were darker, it made a very noticeable difference in the pie, it fits in really well with the darker deeper flavor of the 86% chocolate. Allow to cool before assembling into pie.

Adjust baking time by shaking oven rack enough to determine that the filling has set in the center, this will ensure the pie is indeed done regardless of baking time when there is no movement in the center.

This pie is the one from the above recipe, notice the darker filling comes from the Steen's Pure Cane Syrup where the pie in the second photo below was made with light corn syrup.

This photo is a pie from a previous holiday, you can SEE the chocolate has floated up under the pecan layer, man I am telling you the butter crusted bourbon chocolate pecan pie is the BEST on the PLANET!!

Boolit Master

I just had to look at this thread! Now I got PIE Pecan pie on my mind, I can't stop myself.

DANG ! Looks good DougGuy !

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the awesome recipe with great cooking instructions....that is a big help !
    You can bet your bottom dollar this is going to be a new holiday favorite for us. Those photos are making me want to lick the screen.
    Be sure to thank GF for me .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

That's pretty close to my Mom's old recipe, and I will HAVE to try one sometime. It's VERY much too much sugar for me to eat except maybe once a year now, but .... one CAN enjoy a pie like that a full year, if one sets his mind to! Thanks! Never had one, but that's GOT to be a wondrous pie!

Boolit Buddy
    Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie - from Texas, not the deep south, but wonderful

1 cup chopped pecans (I always add an extra half cup or two and enough bourbon to cover, but drain the excess bourbon to keep the pie from being soggy)
    ½ cup bourbon
    3 large eggs, well-beaten
    1 cup sugar
    ¾ cup light corn syrup
    ¼ cup butter, melted
    ¼ tsp. salt
    1 tsp. vanilla
    ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels (Ghirardelli seem to be the best for this recipe)
    9 inch deep-dish pie shell or 10 inch pie shell, unbaked

Combine pecans and bourbon and set aside.Allow the pecans and bourbon mixture tomarinate several hours or overnight in frig if possible.Combine eggs, sugar, corn syrup, meltedbutter, salt and vanilla.Mix well.Stir in chocolate morsels and bourbon pecanmixture.Pour into an unbaked pie shelland bake at 375 degrees for 50 -60 minutes or until filling is set.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks sierra1911,
    I printed this recipe too , looks like my chocolate bourbon pecan pie craving is going to get taken care of soon. I know I still have a big bag of pecans in the freezer and cane syrup , just need a little bourbon ....
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Vendor Sponsor

Time to bump this thread, the season is coming rather quickly!! I have wild shellbark hickory nuts this year, want to try a pie with them instead of pecans should be delicious!

Boolit Master

This thread is always worth bringing back at Thanks Giving and Christmas time. We were able to get two small bottles of Poiriers the last time it was available - Saving it for this very project
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master

My mother used to make a cake with the wild Shagbark Hickory nuts we would gather . Had to use a hammer to crack them open...they are hard... then carefully pick out the little nut "meat" insides.
    That kept us boys occupied for the better part of a day....I can still remember the wonderful smells and taste.

Now a hickory nut pie...that sounds like it might be pretty awesome !
    Keep us posted,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

My Daughter in Law is a full time professional food blogger, author, etc ...mostly about "crusted desserts"...here is one that is for an absolute killer pecan pie..simple...nothing like it...If you want to gain about 400# this week look over her blog..all free...Amazing gal and her recipes are insane

https://www.crazyforcrust.com/brown-sugar-pecan-pie/

Also just a whole bunch of her recipes for all sorts of things...I think over 2000 in this batch...tighten your belt

https://www.pinterest.com/crazyforcr...crust-recipes/
    Last edited by opos; 11-13-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Our Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie 2017 is outta da oven cooling, it looks fabulous! GF said she forgot 1/2C brown sugar, with the Steen's Cane Syrup and Muddy Pond Sorghum Syrup, I bet it isn't even noticed that it got left out. Maybe even an improvement?

Last edited by DougGuy; 11-23-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast