WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chocolate pecan pie

Boolit Grand Master

DougGuy....how was that pie ?
    If 1/2 as good as it looked , then it was wonderful !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    DougGuy....how was that pie ?
    If 1/2 as good as it looked , then it was wonderful !

Gary
    It was terrific! Girlfriend left out 1/2C of brown sugar which didn't hurt anything, it only made a few tablespoons less of the sugary filling that sinks to the bottom, which by the photo it could have used a deeper sugar layer but it tasted really nutty because I toasted the pecans in a cast iron skillet before making the pie. If you parch the pecans and you let just a few of them get *almost* slightly burnt, THIS really brings the essence of the pecan above the other flavors in there and hilights the nuttiness of the pie overall..

You can see the pecans, with the now reformed chocolate underneath them, and then the sugary filling on the bottom. Next year, maybe less chocolate but 82% Cacao for a thinner but darker flavored chocolate layer?

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

I have a brown sugar version and a chocolate version in the oven now, for work potluck tomorrow.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    It was terrific! Girlfriend left out 1/2C of brown sugar which didn't hurt anything, it only made a few tablespoons less of the sugary filling that sinks to the bottom, which by the photo it could have used a deeper sugar layer but it tasted really nutty because I toasted the pecans in a cast iron skillet before making the pie. If you parch the pecans and you let just a few of them get *almost* slightly burnt, THIS really brings the essence of the pecan above the other flavors in there and hilights the nuttiness of the pie overall..

You can see the pecans, with the now reformed chocolate underneath them, and then the sugary filling on the bottom. Next year, maybe less chocolate but 82% Cacao for a thinner but darker flavored chocolate layer?

My brother brought regular pecan pie for Thanksgiving ...but I'm going to make a Chocolate cane syrup pie for Christmas using your recipe. Toast the pecans....that sounds good .
    I love Cane Syrup , Pecans and Chocolate...this is going to be gooooood !
    Thanks for recipe.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Yesterday we picked up all the necessary ingredients for Christmas Pecan Pie....
    I can hardly wait !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Pecan Pie is in the oven....used some Pure Ribbon Cane Syrup from a little mill across the Mississippi River and DougGuy's basic recipe.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Vendor Sponsor

Good for you Gary! I know it will be good! Merry Christmas to you and yours and all of the castboolits chefs!

I debated long and hard this year over some Poirier's cane syrup, do I or don't I, have Steen's cane syrup and also Muddy Pond sorghum syrup in the cupboard.... Decisions decisions... Maybe when I use up all the Steen's I will get the Poirier's.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Happy New Year to All !

DougGuy's Pecan Pie Recipe using Pure Ribbon Cane Syrup came out great , no photo's because we ate it all up . My daughter, who doesn't like Steen's (gets that from her mother) , admitted the Ribbon Cane Syrup was good, it doesn't have the slight Molasses flavor that Steen's has . Steens is made from regular sugar cane, from which the juice is used to make refined white sugar, brown sugar, molasses and black strap molasses . When Steen's makes syrup with this the molasses flavor is left in the syrup, it's a strong, full bodied , dark brown syrup. The ribbon cane is a different variety ( it has dark reddish bands on the stalk....looks like it's tied with ribbons) usually grown now just to make syrup with by small local syrup mills and isn't quite as dark or as strong as Steen's . I like Steen's , but I like molasses too , I understand how Steen's can overpower the flavor of a pecan pie . The Ribbon Cane Syrup seems to be a good compromise.
    My Grandmother made an awesome cake with Steen's Syrup....I'm going to get the recipe and post it.
    Might have to make one for New Years...she called it Gateau de Sirop... brings back some nice memories, sitting in her warm kitchen eating fresh baked goodies ! .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Grandma's Syrup Cake ( Gateau de Sirop)
    I think this came from the back of the Steen's yellow can!

Ingredients:
    1 egg
    1 cup Steen's Pure Cane Syrup
    2 Tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/3 cup salad oil
    1/2 cup sweet or butter milk
    1 1/2 cups sifted flour

Instructions:
    Combine all dry ingredients , except sugar, and set aside . Beat egg and sugar until creamy. Add syrup to egg/sugar and mix well. add oil and mix well.
    Add dry ingredients to wet and beat 100 strokes (3 minutes with mixer at moderate speed). Add milk and vanilla blend well, do not over beat.
    Pour in a greased pan or layers, cook at 375 degrees .

No pan size or cooking time was given...I think the pan size was about 9" x 9" or 9" x 13".
    When the cake edges pull away from the sides and tester comes clean from the center...it's done.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Vendor Sponsor

Well, another terrific Thanksgiving holiday is in the books, my son, his wife, and my 2 precious grands came up from Florida and they all pitched in on the cooking. We destroyed my little kitchen 2-3x but made all the fixin's and made SURE we baked this bourbon chocolate pecan pie again! Used the recipe with the substitutions hilighted in red previously posted, WOW is it good! My son toasted the pecans in a cast iron skillet until they were dark on the edges and when you reheat this pie in the microwave, that toasted flavor really pops.. Granddaughter had to get in on it so I gave her a fork and let her flute the edges of the crust. She was SO proud...

Here is our 2018 Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie:

Moderator Emeritus

Gary....that will be good for a few extra pounds during the Christmas Season....thanks for sharing brother! Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for bringing this Pecan Pie thread back....now I don't have to look for the recipes !

DougGuy's Bourbon Chocolate Pie Pie Recipe Rocks for Christmas ....the wife's going to make TWO pies and one is all mine !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

I have a habit of not taking pies and cakes out of the oven at the proper time....I usually leave them in too long...An over cooked pecan pie Sucks Rocks . Tip I just learned , use an instant read thermometer and when the center of the pie reaches 200 degrees , it's done , take it out .

I will try this out and report back the results.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12