Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: P17 and 1377 up date

P17 and 1377 up date

Received both pistols . The P17 was shoot about 25 times . I noticed that the trigger was jerky and had a lot of travel compared to the first one . Then the trigger would jam and not fire . This happened 3 times . I put it up and asked PA for a RM . I have done business with them over 10 years and have never had to return a gun . They said keep it and they would credit my credit card . Guess the shipping back and forth was more than the P17 was worth .
    The P1377 which is the new up dated model so I have been told is a keeper . I shoot it this morning and was told it was a bit load at 4 pumps . So inside I went and put my 24 inch barrel and steel breach on it . I believe it will pass now . Had no complains when I crony a few pellets with it . 4 pumps and a 8.5 grain pellet averaged 468 fps . 3 pumps same pellet averaged 405 fps . 3 pumps 7.8 grain averaged 418 fps and a 7.2 grain with 3 pumps averaged 440 fps . And I will say that for me it is easier to pump the 1377 3-4 times than the P17 one time . Will take a look at the P17 soon and see if I can fix the trigger problem . Marvin

Hope you get the 17 working and wind up with a freebie that shoots well.

Boolit Master

Look on you tube for p17 trigger fix some have issues and it is a simple fix by just moving the leg of one of those v shaped springs.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

I will deal with it at some point . Today I put about 200 pellets through the 1377 . Sighted it in at the 10 yards using the 7.2 pellets and 3 pumps . After several shoots I tried 2 pumps and the POA and the POI remained the same . Did not crony at 2 pumps so I have no idea what the fps is . Only issue I have with this is I wanted a pistol and with a 24 inch barrel and shoulder stock I have a very quite carbine . Stock barrel is to short for a TKO . If I go a shorter barrel I will have to go with a $50.00 TKO plus the cost of a barrel or cutting and crowning this one . It is accurate and with the softer trigger spring it is a good shooter . Marvin

But it is not a pistol so I ordered a 12 inch barrel and a TKO . The stock barrel is just over 10 inches and the shortest the barrel can be and use the TKO is 11 1/4 .Marvin

The 1377 is a pistol again .Marvin

Banned
    What a beautiful gun. I almost got into air when I started shooting again 3 yrs ago and had a hard time finding 22lr. I wish I had. I have always loved pellet guns and don't hunt so for paper, air would be good for me. I went a different route though and decided to learn to reload rim fire. It has been quite an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by melloairman View Post

The 1377 is a pistol again .Marvin

Boolit Master
    My 1377 converted to a 24' .22 carbine is a joy to shoot, very accurate and not loud even at 12 pumps. Striking power is amazing. I've been using Benjamin Destroyer pellets. The bearing surface and accuracy of a heavy wadcutter with the central spike for improved penetration.

I already had two .177 rifles, a Daisy 880 and a customized 760 with a rifled barrel and wooden butt, otherwise I might have gotten a .177 barrel.
    Ended up getting a new plastic breech with .22 bolt. Wish I'd sprung for a steel breech instead but as it is I have no problem with the factory aperture sight at 25 yards.
    I figure a scope could make it a fifty yard gun for small game. I had not realized just how powerful these pump up pistol actions could be.

One thing I noticed is that mine leaves no un-expelled air in the valve even at 20 pumps. The striker spring seems very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    What a beautiful gun. I almost got into air when I started shooting again 3 yrs ago and had a hard time finding 22lr. I wish I had. I have always loved pellet guns and don't hunt so for paper, air would be good for me. I went a different route though and decided to learn to reload rim fire. It has been quite an adventure.
    Thanks for the complement . Hopefully your adventure works out . And air is there if you have a change of heart .Marvin

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    My 1377 converted to a 24' .22 carbine is a joy to shoot, very accurate and not loud even at 12 pumps. Striking power is amazing. I've been using Benjamin Destroyer pellets. The bearing surface and accuracy of a heavy wadcutter with the central spike for improved penetration.

I already had two .177 rifles, a Daisy 880 and a customized 760 with a rifled barrel and wooden butt, otherwise I might have gotten a .177 barrel.
    Ended up getting a new plastic breech with .22 bolt. Wish I'd sprung for a steel breech instead but as it is I have no problem with the factory aperture sight at 25 yards.
    I figure a scope could make it a fifty yard gun for small game. I had not realized just how powerful these pump up pistol actions could be.

One thing I noticed is that mine leaves no un-expelled air in the valve even at 20 pumps. The striker spring seems very strong.
    I noticed you've tested this one at 20 pumps for retained air, is this a stock gun, or have you modified the valve?
    If you don't mind me asking, have you chronoed at 12 and 20 pumps with the 24" bbl.?

I'm starting to consider picking up a 1377 or 1322 to go with my 392 just for fun.

I have a pair of 1322's that I love. Light weight, solid performers. Both will put 5 into a single ragged hole if I can do my end.

They are highly modable, parts are not that expensive.
    But I warn you, they are the most expensive cheap airgun you will ever buy.

Gun itself can be had for around 50$. I would recomend getting the shooter kit with the carbine stock for around 75$.

Then a steel breech so you can scope it. That cost more than the gun costs. Then perhaps a longer barrel? From there, once you start modifying them, the costs just keep adding up.

The good news is it only takes self control to limit all this.

I have one that is virtually stock. And I added a rail to one with this system instead of a steel breech.

40$ and 5$ shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HHHMMMM! May be a tough choice between a 13xx or a scope for the 392 now.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    HHHMMMM! May be a tough choice between a 13xx or a scope for the 392 now.
    If it were me I would scope the 392 . Marvin

Got a birthday coming up, so maybe both at the same time?
    I gotta be carefull with this airgun stuff...it's fun for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Got a birthday coming up, so maybe both at the same time?
    I gotta be carefull with this airgun stuff...it's fun for sure!
    While you are being careful you can look at Crosman custom shop and Mountain air web pages . It is a well known fact that the Crosman shoulder stock gives poor or no cheek rest and needs a build up . I did over come it once with a high scope mount and tilting my head over the stock and once by building it up .Marvin

Boolit Master
    35Shooter
    "I noticed you've tested this one at 20 pumps for retained air, is this a stock gun, or have you modified the valve?
    If you don't mind me asking, have you chronoed at 12 and 20 pumps with the 24" bbl.?"

Other than installing the long barrel its basically stock.
    I have made no modifications to the valve or hammer spring.

On another board there's a thread on Crosman having begun using a different spring for these guns. The cocking effort of mine seems usually stout.

I haven't chrono'ed this gun yet, still waiting on a friend to bring his chronograph over. He's had to go out of state several times recently on family business.

I don't plan to try using 20 pumps again, Too much chance of damaging the seals. 12 pumps gives excellent power and accuracy, exploding water filled aluminum cans and penetrating two stout steel cans one inside the other with power to spare. Steel cans filled with water are often ripped apart by hydraulic forces with exit holes the size of a thumb.

Multigunner,
    Thanks for the info.

Melloairman,
    I'll check out Mountain Air....didn't know about them. Thanks.