WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: WC 820 (n)

Boolit Grand Master

WC 820 (n)

I've been using WC 820 (n) for quite a while now in my .44 Magnums (5), and for the most part have used standard large pistol primers. I have not run many loads over my chrony, and accuracy seems to be acceptable. I was reviewing some early loads I have recorded and I noticed a note I had made; "Use Magnum primers". Most of the loads I've used are not barn burners, but running nearer the low side. I haven't used H110/W296 in many years, the only pistol powder I've used with magnum primers, I have enough of both Magnum and standard primers and I got to wondering if loads using magnum primers would be any more consistent with WC 820? (I know I could do the testing/comparison myself, but I just wanna hear from other members )...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I use magnum primers with WC 820 N since it is a ball powder....dale

Vendor Sponsor
    I have been using small rifle primers for my 17 Hornet and wc820 with good results.

Boolit Buddy
    It was so so in my revolvers did ok in the 44 with ww primers.
    It's really starting to shine in my 06 though and I have enough to weather
    the 2400 drought.

Boolit Master
    Have been using only standard small rifle primers in .30 Carbine. Seems to work well with the 14.5-gr load. I probably will try loading it in .357 and .44 Mag once we're settled in the new house (and I recover from shoulder surgery). In the magnums, I will use magnum primers, just as I did when loading with H110/296.

Cheers,
    Richard

Banned

I use mag primers with aa9/820. As a matter of fact I think there needed more with it then they are with 110/296. Especially if your downloading even to book starting loads.

Boolit Master

I have used many a 8lb jug of WW 820 surplus powder in various calibers , I have always used mag primers .
    Some shooters I have known used std primers, ok in warm weather but when temp is aroud 40 degrees or lower they had squib loads and a lot of unburnt powder.

Boolit Master
    I have used up many 8 lb jugs of WC 820 in my .44 mags and have always used CCI-350 mag primers. I've never had an ignition problem, and the powder charge I use is only 17g to 19.7g with nominal 220 to 270g boolits.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't reloaded any of my .44s in mebbe 18 months (a Garand has taken up most of my time) and prolly a bit longer using WC820. So, I guess I'll pay attention to the note I wrote my self in 2009 and go back to magnum primers...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

In 357 and 44 Mag I have found that I needed Mag primers with WC820 (N). Lots of interesting things happen with these combos, squibs, bullets/boolits stuck in the barrel, clumps of brown/yellowish powder in the barrel.
    I use pistol primers when loading it in rifle cases and have no issues.

I have some OLD WC820 (SLOW) that is truly H110 equivalent and WC820 (HS& equivalent)Fast) and neither requires a Mag primer.

Makes no sense, but I have had the issues, or lack thereof enough to be sure.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Been burning AA9-s. I believe it to be the same powder as WC 820. Plenty of lot to lot variability of course. Std or magnum primers will work fine. Heavy bullets, High load density, good crimp and bullet pull are probably just as helpful as the magnum primer.

Boolit Master
    I don't know how much WC820 I've burned, better than three jugs at any rate. I always load it with mag primers because I live in Maine and have had trouble with click/pop rather than BANG! in the winter. To me it's just not worth having separate summer loads.

Boolit Master
    I use WC 820 in S&W 500 loads, I use mag primers (cause that's what John Ross told me to do ! haha).
    I check every once in a while at Jeff Bartlett's site to see if any shows up, none for a long time.
    Anyone know of any other source ?
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Banned

yup. AA9 is the same thing although a bit more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger1911 View Post
    I use WC 820 in S&W 500 loads, I use mag primers (cause that's what John Ross told me to do ! haha).
    I check every once in a while at Jeff Bartlett's site to see if any shows up, none for a long time.
    Anyone know of any other source ?

Boolit Master
    OK,I thought AA9 was the current substitute. Ya, just a bit more expensive !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.