Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Alcan 101 shotgun powder

Boolit Buddy

Alcan 101 shotgun powder

I discovered I still have a pretty big jug of Alcan 101 shotgun powder but can't find any data in my loading manuals. I used to buy alcan primers way back. I don't load for shotgun but would like to burn it up in 45 auto, 38 spl stuff like that. Any Alcan data would be appreciated.
    Last edited by ronbo; 07-16-2008 at 06:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    Try as I might all I could come up with was AL1,AL5, and AL8
    http://home.hiwaay.net/~stargate/powder/powder.htm
    You can do a Google search but it wasn't very sucessful for me, the best I could come up with was that stuff was made in the '50's
    Last edited by Freightman; 07-16-2008 at 07:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    What year was this powder available? I looked in my Speer reloading manual #9. It was printed in 1974. I didn't see AL 101 listed.

EDIT
    The only thing I have found is a post comparing it to Red Dot(for shotgun). One guy said he had a manual from "67. I will look through my American Rifleman and Shooting Times mags from the late sixties. Jim
    Last edited by jimkim; 07-17-2008 at 06:59 AM.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Buddy

Alcan

I am not sure of the age, I bought a bunch of Alcan rifle and pistol primers in 1975 from a gun store at $5 per thousand but I don't remember when I bought the 101 powder. I think for pistol I could just try a light load using fast burning Bullseye data to be safe and go from there.

Boolit Bub
    My Speer #6 ( Feb 1964 ) shows it..... But it only lists two shotgun loads for it .... not listed at all in the pistol section.

12 guage , 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz of shot 20 grains of AL101 = 1180 FPS .

16 guage , 2 3/4 " 7/8oz of shot 15 grains of AL101 = 1185 FPS.

Not sure if this will help any.
    National Rifle Association Life / Endowment
    California Rifle & Pistol Association / Life
    Garand Collectors Association
    Cast Bullet Association

Boolit Buddy

Alcan

Thanks for the information, I have the Speer #6 manual 1964 and found the shotgun data in there. I looked in a Lyman shotgun reloading manual from 1969 and AL101 is not listed in there so it must of been made previous to then. An old Lyman cast bullet manual lists handgun loads for AL5, AL7, AL8 but not for AL101.

Boolit Buddy
    I checked the first (1962) edition of Handloader's Digest and found it listed, but only shotgun data is shown. It seems that AL101 is faster than Red Dot, since equivalent loads for Red Dot were two grains heavier (18 vs. 20, 19 vs. 21, etc.)

Boolit Mold
    I know this is old but I was wondering if you have a picture of the can and or powder?

Boolit Master

I think for pistol I could just try a light load using fast burning Bullseye data to be safe and go from there.
    That is IMO an excellent plan and what I would do. Light BE loads and a chronograh will tell you exactly where you're at.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle