Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Fleece Substitute

Banned

Fleece Substitute

Years ago someone gave me a fleece jacket and turned out to be a great piece of travel gear for me. Coupled with a lightweight rain jacket it gave me a LOT of options, over a big range of temperatures in a fairly small package. Since that time I've worn out a few fleece jackets and currently have a medium weight zippered fleece that fills that role.

I travel light and I'm always looking for gear that fills many roles but doesn't take up a lot of space.

Here's my question: Is there something out there that fills the same basic role but isn't as bulky?

Boolit Master

down squishes into a smaller space than fleece but doesn't work too good when wet
    (you probably already knew that)

Banned
    I'm looking for something that allows for comfort over a big temperature swing, like fleece and breathes well, like fleece but isn't as bulky as fleece.
    The reality may be that fleece is the best for the job. Don't know, that's why I'm asking for the experienced input from forum members.

As for down, it is very warm and light but generally too warm with any activity unless it's super cold out. At least for me.

Boolit Master
    Sixty years of hunting and fishing and two closets full of hunting clothing.....I've never found anything as warm as fleece with less bulk. Down, as mentioned, will compress but doesn't work as well when wet. Also, down if a lot bulkier when dry. I think fleece is the best choice. Even Thinsulate doesn't seem as warm as fleece. Now days most of my hunting clothing is some type of fleece except for very cold weather. Fleece and gortex is very hard to beat. It doesn't take a lot to stay warm when you're dry.

Banned
    I hear you and agree. Fleece may in fact be the best option available.

If I'm preparing for known cold conditions, it's not a problem. I can plan for that. In fact, constant cold weather is easier to pack for than big temperature swings.
    If I'm preparing for warm conditions, no problem. I can plan for that as well.

It's the multi-day trip with the potential for temps between 30 and 90 that challenge you when you have a minimal amount of space available for ALL of your gear. My current system relies upon layering for cold/wet weather and can be scaled back for warmer dry weather. It works pretty well if we're not talking about severe cold/wet weather.
    Tee shirts / long sleeve shirt / fleece / rain jacket will get you through most conditions down to about 30 if it's not super windy. Out of all of the clothing in the pack, it's the fleece that takes up the most space. It's great when you're wearing it but it takes up valuable space when you're not wearing it.
    I like the qualities that fleece provides (adjustable warmth, breathable, relatively lightweight) but it's the one item in the pack that denies room for other gear (a better hat, an extra pair of jeans or khakis, a few more socks, etc. ).

Boolit Master
    I got back on here this morning after thinking about this for a while last night. I think I left a very significant item off my suggestion list. A couple of years ago a friend of mine brought some items down to my camp to use for late season muzzle loading hunting. It was six degrees the first morning and that's pretty cold when you're sitting for several hours. My friend brought down some "peel and stick" chemical warmers that stay warm all day long. They make large ones you can stick to your thermal top, foot warmers and toe warmers, and hand warmers (no stick on them). I put some on, one on front and one on my back, toe warmers on each foot, and a hand warmer in each pocket. Even at six degrees I was very warm all day long. I now wear mid season bow clothing for almost all of my gun season hunting, including late season. Here in NYS, we can get some pretty cold days out hunting. I have two very heavy goose down coats, a Cabela's G050 body suit, and lots of down vests, etc I'll probably never wear again. Those chemical warmers are unbelieveably warm, and even though you're wearing a couple of dollars a day worth of disposable warmers, they're still cheaper than on of those five hundred dollar coats or body suits I bought and never use anymore. You can buy the warmers at WalMart, Dick's, or off Amazon. In bulk packs they're about a buck each...and they last all day.

Banned
    Yep, that will work but I'm looking at gear for travel not hunting.

Hunting/camping is a different game. I can generally get by with without a lot of bulk but the fleece is the one problem item. Fleece may still be the best option given its flexibility over a large range of temps.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 05-05-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Banned

Wool. You can get different weights of fabric. It breaths and is warm. And if wet it still insulates. Check these out. Pretty sure you can get them in lighter weight options.

http://gfredasbell.com/gfa_wool_clothing.php

Banned
    Thanks. I'll look into that.

Personally, no. I think the best combo is a under armor type tight fitting top and bottoms along with any shirt (synthetic or whatever have you). I have two sets, some lined with a little fleece that are warm and some just synthetic material. Then, have a fleece on for those cold morning. That right there is going to cover most situations. I also have a packable down jacket I bring to wear around camp and at night if the nights are 30F or below.

Try to pack where at the COLDEST every piece of gear will be worn.

I know all about lightweight/small spaces. I backpack up to a week long with a less than 8 lb base weight (including the pack itself excluding food and water). Fleece has no competition imo.

Merino Wool or Polyester/rayon blends are only thing that compete with fleece for me.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned
    Bulk is the problem. The item must be valuable enough in terms of what it provides for me to include it in the pack. And, I'm not talking about extreme cold or any type of hunting activity.

Merino Wool is a possibility.

I really like the performance of fleece but it takes up a lot of room in the pack.

the polyester/rayon (and I forgot to mention silk) keep you warm by capturing a bubble of air that your body heated especially good if you have any insulation under it.

The Poly/Cotton isn't as warm as Poly/Nylon Poly/Rayon or silk
    Last edited by Artful; 06-16-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."