RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Security cameras--In house--?

Boolit Master

Security cameras--In house--?

Am thinking of a security set up for my house, there are wireless and wire type. Would like a good one but am not sure of which one to go with. Have looked at (I think) a SWANN which is not wireless. Has anyone put their own system in and which did you use. Understand the wireless has a limited range but do not have a long distance from cameras to the 'box'. Confusing as to how the wiring would be installed.
    Any input would be nice. Thanks

Boolit Master

I don't have any technical advice but unless you also include video or audio/video it's pretty much useless, unless you're at home when the intrusion occurs.

I had a couple friends (both deceased now) that had high dollar security systems and they were both burglarized in mid-afternoon while not at home. An <language> wipe threw one of their lawn ornaments through their front window, went through the window, up the stairs and took everything from the master bedroom and came out through the front door with a full pillowcase and drove from the area. Neighbors watched everything as the alarm sounded and the police showed up about 12 minutes after the **** wipes departed. The other friend had his back door kicked in - same result, police showed up late. Neither ever recovered anything and no arrests were ever made.

Sometimes I just turn on my trail cameras aimed at the doors when we leave for an extended period of time. I heard baby crib cameras work very well and will transmit pictures to cell phones - never seen one like that but I've heard young couples talking about one???
    Last edited by No_1; 05-04-2017 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Language Censor violation

Our church has a Lorex brand system from Home Depot and it's been going good for over a year now. It's 6 or 8 analog style cameras and a DVR. It's a wired system and you can view it on your smart phone. In their case, if the alarm goes off they can use the video to look around and call the police if they see something amiss.

Analog camera uses a BNC or RCA connector if its wired. IP camera uses a computer LAN style connection if its wired. Either one can be provide a nice picture. Wired is more work to install but considered more reliable compared to wireless. But wireless keeps getting better and better.

I'm playing with a IP camera to send a email alert when the kids come home. Its hard wired to my router and I had to learn port forwarding to view it when away from home. It looks like a Foscam or Amcrest wireless/IP camera but mine is a Insteon and is supposed to use their HUB but not having too much luck without their HUB. I have the HUB and should try it again.

If I was serious about home video I'd go with a product that is of the same brand. DVR, cameras and a remote viewing program together. It should be easier to get running and hopefully have good phone support.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

ADMIN

there are a lot of options out now.

At my house I run Zmodo brand wifi IP cameras.
    They work pretty decent and they are pretty inexpensive.
    When I originally purchased them, they came with 60 day CLOUD recording.
    I have about 12 of them but I had only hooked up 3 when they closed their CLOUD to new users.
    You can purchase a NVR (network video recorder) and record them still.

How technical are you?
    With Zmodo you can manually set the IP addresses in their cameras and you should be able to use their NVR to record from them.
    Just leave the DNS address out of the cameras when you set them up and they will not go out on the internet.

Here is some TIN FOIL hat stuff for you.
    A large amount of the IP cameras you see on EBAY offer "CLOUD" service or remote easy setup.
    Basically this is a server located in China.
    So someone some where has access to your cameras and can view them.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Cameras won't do much except show who is stealing your stuff. Get better security, not cameras

Boolit Master

My cameras alerts at movement and sends me a email. I can also view them from the cell phone app.
    Cousin said the nest system is nice and he is a IT guy.

Boolit Master

Wow - 2nd language violation since joining.

"Your post contains languge which was deliberately construction to circumnavigate the language Censor. This type of language is unacceptable on this forum. This is your second offense. A third offense could result in your removal from the board."

I guess I never had much to add anyway, so I'm gone.

Boolit Master
    OP, you did not indicate your goal for a security system. Do you want to have a recorded image of a person who comes into your home? Are you willing to let your property be taken without a confrontation and still have the opportunity to identify the thief? Do you want a system that will encourage an uninvited visitor to exit your property faster than they arrived? Your goals will direct you in the type of system you will need to install.

If you want camera images, place the cameras about 5 feet up from the floor. This will require the use of some type of concealment for the cameras but will give you the best possible facial images of the person. Most businesses place their cameras on the ceiling and get really good images of the tops of heads with little more. If you cannot identify the face from the camera images, the cameras give you nothing in return for your work and cost investment.

It sounds like you will be monitoring your security system rather than by using a call center to receive the signal of a violation. If so, set your system to activate immediately when the surveillance perimeter is violated. Burglars and attackers move with speed. Catch all of the action you can.

If you want to keep your possessions and be immediately notified of a violation (if at home), use loud alarms. Screaming horns, sirens, etc, anything that will make a lot of noise. The more noise the better. Place these screamers outside the home and at various locations, positioned so the intruder cannot disable them. Put some inside also to let the thug know they have been discovered. Several years ago a local businessman opened a gun shop. His security system included only local screamers and a telephone signal to the local police department. In his first year he had three (3) attempts to enter the business (windows trashed and doors kicked in). In spite of 3 attempts he did not lose a single thing. This is something to think about.

Your initial question was directed at the mechanics of a system. My reply will hopefully guide your installation and the success of the system once installed. Good luck.

Boolit Master

You don't necessarily need audio but it is nice. The 17 year old son of my wife's friend put some cameras in their apartment that nobody knew about but him. Now the video from that or those cameras is being used to convict his stepfather of her cold blooded murder. They are used for more than just showing you who stole your stuff.
    At one with the gun.

Perma-Banned
    Get this for inside the house

http://simplisafe.com/home-security-system-ultimate

and this that allows outside monitoring from cells, iPad, MACs and PCs.

https://www.lorextechnology.com/secu...or/LW064MW-1-p