MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Redfield M peep site and Win 54

Boolit Master

Redfield M peep site and Win 54

My son laments at times he does not have a peep sight for the cut out on his Win 54 rifle stock. So I am trying to put together a peep site for our sks and I look at this old redfield sight and says if I mill off this and that it will fit on the sks. I hate screwing up a vintage peep for this chinese fire cracker, so I says if I turn the base around it might fit something useful from america. I remember his 54 and lo and behold it fits in the cutout and lays true and square to the receiver. Only the one hole on receiver will work with site base and I reckon I will use 1 screw and epoxy because I am not going to put another hole in receiver. I am not sure the base is correct because the screw that tightens the peep frame is pointing front rather than back. The base has a M on it. Do you think epoxy will hold it with one screw?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    what an **** I am and these meds!!!! I looked at it again and says those hole lineup if I FLIP THE BASE but the the base lays above the stock and I was fixated on filling the cut out in stock. SO, it is the correct peep sight for the gun but the stock still has the cut out for another type of sight, a Lyman I presume that must have the stock cut out for it. Now my question is would you fit a piece of wood into the cut out or leave the stock alone?
    Look twice, shoot once.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Leave the stock alone and get a Lyman sight that fits. That is what I did with my Win. 54.
    Lyman still makes the sight.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Are you sure that's an M and not a W. It is maybe the correct base already. W for Winchester maybe.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

A Lyma 57 sight should be the correct sight for your Model 54. I wouldn't modify the Redfield sight. It will fit Model 70s and probably Model 700 Remingtons if you want to install it on one of those rifles. Depending on the condition of the sight, they are getting to be a valuable investment.

Here's a link to the Lyman sight at MidwayUSA. While not the vintage of you Model 54, it should fit into the previous inletting of your rifle's stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/278...-aluminum-blue

Here is the Redfield aperture sight on a Model 54 in 30/30 calibre. It does not necessitate any mods to the pre-NRA style stock used on the earliest 54s. I don't know about the later NRA style stocks used on the last of the 54s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winchester 54 Action.jpg  
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 05-05-2017 at 11:20 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    you all are right I need a lyman or he needs a lyman and looks like I have a redfield for one of my 700's.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Neck: Just go on Ebay and hunt around until you "win" the right one. It may take a little time but the availability of good used steel Lyman sights is good and they show up all the time. You never know how much they will go for so be prepared to spend some money.

But the one thing that is true for sure is that you will forget about how much you paid very soon after it is mounted on the gun.

The ones for Marlins (66LA) routinely bring $125-175. Lyman 48's for Springfields bring as much as $500 for a NIB one. I have paid $150 for one and got a screamin' deal.

The Redfield's are a lot less expensive and I use them for lesser guns like my Enfield Sporters, but you already have one of those.

Anyway that's the best source out there,,, and don't even think of buying a new one as they are made of Aluminum and are pure junk!

I have an Extra 57 SME however it is not the right one for your gun.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com