Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Aftermarket Glock mags.

Boolit Master

Aftermarket Glock mags.

Picked up a Kel Tech Sub2000 in 9mm, glock mag model. It came with a Pmag vs real glock. The place I bought it had a display of Jagemann glock mags. Like the Pmag all polymer vs steel and polymer like glock. I could not pass up on the Jagmann at $9.95 ea, promotional price. Figured people would gobble them up but nobody seems to be buying them. I bought 2 with the Kel Tech, try them see how they do first.

Don't have a glock to run them thru, work fine in the Kel tech. The Pmag was a bit disappointing as it only tell you when the mag is full. The Jagemann have the round count holes like OEM. And no tool required to clean them, same push button floor plate as other mags. And the 17 mag holds 18.

Not sure how true it is, but Glock went with the steel insert to ensure they are drop free vs durability? I was wondering how the all polymer would hold up vs ones with inserts.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Don't know about your mags but I cannot tell any functional difference between original Glock, Korean milsurp, Pmag, and SGM Tactical mags in my Glock 19, 22, and 26. That being said, quite often you can find bundles of barely used LE trade in Glock mags on Gunbroker for $10-15.00 per mag. Wish somebody would come out with some half price Glock 42 mags, those little buggers still cost as much or more than their larger brethren.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Anybody have any experience with ETS magazines for Glocks? For those who live close enough, AIM Surplus is having a showroom only sale this week on their 31 round version in 9mm with translucent see through plastic for $14.95.

Boolit Master
    I lucked into the glock OEM 9mm big stick mags for $25 not long ago. I tried 1 of the SGM tactical mags, $20 at a gun show for the hi cap 40 cal. But it was junk, full of flashing from the mold. Screwed with it, got it somewhat reliable. I would risk the ETS mags if they were $20, buy one and see how they are.

Boolit Master

I really like the the PMags aftermarket magazines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    (Snip)

Not sure how true it is, but Glock went with the steel insert to ensure they are drop free vs durability? I was wondering how the all polymer would hold up vs ones with inserts.
    The original Glock mags were intentionally bulged in the middle and designed NOT to drop free of the gun, I'm assuming to be able to keep track of them? A lot of gun writers, supposed experts, and competition shooters didn't like this and they were redesigned to drop free when empty. My first gen 19 wouldn't drop the mags but the replacements/extras I bought did drop free.

Boolit Master

I really like the S. Korean mags in my Sub2K. They work just fine.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought a few of the Korean magazines and they all worked flawlessly.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

The ETS mags I've tried (9 & 40) have all worked well.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    My Korean mags dont drop free and does not always lock back when empty. I brought 9 of them here from a member for $45 to try them out. I would not use them for self defense nor USPA matches. But they are great for range work. For my Glock mag I like the Glock 17 mags with a glock 2 shot extender. I can get 19 rounds in them and they work great for USPA and 3Gun matches

Boolit Master
    Non drop free mags is a European thing. Plenty of pistols had the heel catch, it dates back to WW1. You had to pull the magazine out, put it in your pocket, not lose it in the mud of the trenches. They simply did not have the spare mags to hand out. US always wanted them drop free, plenty of spare mags.

What's funny is, factory Browning Hi-Power mags now have a little mousetrap spring on the bottom to make darn sure they drop free. I would remove mine but can't see how without buggering up the mag so I guess I'll leave it. I suppose it would be a handy feature if I should ever have to use my $1038.00 blue/wood/adjustable sights beauty for social work. Which, I know it would do just fine as it has for 82 years!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Like the 1911, the Glock probably will now have a number of aftermarket suppliers hawking magazines that change the way the gun is fed in some way from the designer's intent, giving it a new status as a jammomatic.

It cracks me up how many bad 1911 mags are out there. I mean, how can you screw up a 7 or 8 round single stack rimless pistol cartridge magazine? Yet many still do. As mentioned before, I haven't yet encountered an aftermarket Glock mag that didn't work as well as the original. Now, I will say that I avoid those hideous unbranded metal body Glock mags that are often encountered in the gun shop bargain bin. Not even messing with those!

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    The ETS mags I've tried (9 & 40) have all worked well.

Cat
    Thanks, I'll give one a try.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    It cracks me up how many bad 1911 mags are out there. I mean, how can you screw up a 7 or 8 round single stack rimless pistol cartridge magazine? Yet many still do. As mentioned before, I haven't yet encountered an aftermarket Glock mag that didn't work as well as the original. Now, I will say that I avoid those hideous unbranded metal body Glock mags that are often encountered in the gun shop bargain bin. Not even messing with those!
    Yep, back when I was playing regularly in the 1911 sandbox I was amazed at how many really BAD 1911 mags are out there !
    You very quickly learn what works and what doesn't work. When you find what works, you stick to it and get rid of ALL of the other magazines. Some of the bad magazines were actually from well known sources but still were not worth owning.
    I had good luck with the factory Colt magazines feeding properly but had one that the floor plate detached from ! It was a spectacular failure! After the first or second round the spot welds that held the floor plate to the mag body broke. The floor plate, spring, follower and about 5 or 6 rounds fell out of the bottom of the grip. The mag tube was still locked in the grip frame but it wasn't much good at that point .

I've never had a problem with a factory Glock magazine and see no reason to buy aftermarket mags for a Glock. The real Glock mags are easy to come by and don't cost that much.