Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posing a question, need opinions

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri

Posing a question, need opinions

I recently came into possession of a S&W Model 25-3. It is one of 9948 125th Anniversary models made in 1977 for S&W 125th year in business. Nice gun, I slugged the chamber throats and came away very satisfied, as they averaged .4525 with very minor variations. I've read that some were grossly oversized. The revolver is a surprise in that it has had the rear sight removed and the top strap drilled and tapped to install a Weaver style rail in order to facilitate the installation of a Trijicon AR style reflex sight. Research tells me that the sight retails for $500.00+/-. Nice sight, I agree; but I'm more of a traditionalist. I'm going to try the gun as is but I'm working at locating a S&W correct rear sight.
    Tell me what you think of this setup and what you would do, please......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1870.jpg   DSCF1872.jpg   DSCF1874.jpg  

Banned

If you hunt use the dot. But everything for the original sights should be there. Just find a sight.
    Wonderful gun. You are a very lucky guy.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    $500.00 HUH!!!

Unless there is something REALLY special about the M-25 rear sight check this out on ebay. 22330 Smith & Wesson New K,L,N Frame New Style .136" Black Rear Sight Assembly
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

The dot, not the notch.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Nice revolver. I have a Model 25-5 in .45Colt and it is one of my favorite DA revolvers and gets shot a lot.

The only revolver I have with an electronic sight is a stainless Super Blackhawk in .45Colt. I bought it used with a Red Dot sight on it. I originally considered removing the sight but it is so darn accurate that I am loathe to mess with it. I have plenty of other revolvers in .45Colt so I think I will just keep this one as is.

I suggest you shoot yours and see how it does. You may find that traditionalism is all well and good but there is something about putting great big .45 caliber holes in the same spot that is even more satisfying than tradition.
    If by chance it doesn't shoot well with the electronic sight you can always remove it.

Boolit Master
    I'd try it out with the sight as is. A new rear sight assembly is going to be around $100 or more. The price seems rather high for what you get. I'm surprised cheap knock offs aren't out there but they must be hard to duplicate.

Boolit Master

Red...

If you give me a day or so to look around, I may have an S&W rear sight or two in one of my 'miscellaneous' drawers. Will drop you a PM if I find one.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

You can watch fleabag for a used sight. A revolver "just don't look right" unless it has factory sights.

Boolit Master
    Shoot it--you might like it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    I'd try it out with the sight as is. A new rear sight assembly is going to be around $100 or more. The price seems rather high for what you get. I'm surprised cheap knock offs aren't out there but they must be hard to duplicate.
    Millett used to sell replacement rear sight assemblies for S&W revolvers that were quite well-made. Those have been out-of-print for a few years, though.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I've got a S&W sight coming, may or may not be exact replacement. If it fits and needs a new hole in the top strap I'll do it; as there are already 2 extra holes for the Reflex sight mount and the sight tang will cover all of them..

Beautiful gun, hideous sight. If that were mine, I'd replace it with a stock sight ASAP.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

When you reach my age the red dot is a God send. Old eyes , detached retina's and after having the lens removed to repair the retinas , wearing tri-focal glasses .......I have to shoot with an optic or don't shoot at all.
    Save the sight....if you're lucky you will need it someday .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Ironically, I'm coming up 72 and have been wearing trifocals for 30 years. I find shooting revolvers easier now than I did before. I had trouble using that reflex sight on the Smith, it's not a red dot and is not powered, uses ambient light only.

Boolit Master

I would pull off the over-sized Trijicon and put a much smaller red dot on it, such as a Burris Fast-fire.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd remove the semi attached to the top of your revolver if it were me. Trailers belong on the road, not on top of your gun.

Boolit Master

I wouldn't just kick that Reflex to the curb, I'd find a pro from the NFL to kick it PAST the curb, thus turning it back into a handgun, instead of a stockless rifle.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I had the gun out in the tall & uncut this morning. Put 50 rounds of hand loaded 454423 thru it. If I squint and read Soldier of Fortune magazine I guess maybe, I could, possibly, on the outside, of reality see where someone would want it............I know now that I don't!!! As soon as I get a sight installed I will market the sight. I don't own nor ever intend to own any kind of AR style that could use it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have yet to try glassware of any type atop any of my handguns. I am not a reflexive installer of riflescopes on my rifles, either--about a third of my collection are glassed up. I am none-too-highly-evolved, I suppose--for a rifle to get a scope means some combination of very small target and/or extended distance is in the cards. A whole lot of my arms hobby enjoyment remains firmly rooted in the 19th Century.

That is not to say that I will NEVER scope-up a handgun. I did research a Ruger Bisley Hunter in 44 Magnum not too long ago. The day could come when the ravages of time mess of my eyesight to the point where a glass sight could come in handy. We will see.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 05-05-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I have scoped several T/C Contenders in rifle chambering and a couple three in handgun cartridges but a single shot is a whole different critter from a large revolver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast