RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Thinking about Henry's 30-30 or 45/70 for general use

Question Thinking about Henry's 30-30 or 45/70 for general use

Just starting to reload 30-30 for Marlin 336 that my sister bought back in the early 90's. It's nice that she will let me use it since she hardly ever goes shooting. However, 45/70 lever actions have been calling to me lately.

First, I'm not a hunter; nothing wrong with it just don't have the access for it right now. So, this future lever action purchase will be mainly for general target shooting. Third, it seems that 45/70 brass being straight walled would be easier to cast and reload than rifle brass with a neck. Does this mean that annealing won't be as important with 45/70 brass?

Appreciate any thoughts on this subject.

Boolit Grand Master

The more the brass is worked the harder and more brittle it gets. Neck size the 30-30 and you probably have the same life as the 45-70.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

Both rock for cast. I love the .30-30 and will not add any more calibers to reload. If I want to go "heavy" I will go with a .730" slug. The .45-70 will work well with lighter loads in a lever action, but step it up and feel some pain, at least me, and I am not alone. There is something cool about long range rainbow shooting and hitting the target.

Boolit Master

I really like those Henry CCH rifles with the octagonal barrels.

reloading for, casting for, and shootin the 30-30 is pure joy. You read it here first. I cast buckets of .30 cal boolits and load for 308, 30-06, and 30-30. They're all good and fun but the little 30-30 Trapper is the one I always go back to because it simply puts the biggest grin on my face and is capable of getting the job done for almost any occation.

For cost savings the 30-30 will cost a good bit less to shoot.
    The 45-70 is a favorite of mine and I hunt with it also, I own 30-30's but cannot use them for deer in OH.
    Get the one you like most, they are both great classic cartridges that wount be going extinct any time soon.

Jedman

If your not in a hurry and have an interest a Henry in 38-55 will be coming this fall. I have the CCH in 45-70 and its fun to shoot and with the hunting type loads isnt anything bad. I dont own a 30-30 but I have in the past. I just like big bore. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

The 45-70 is an interesting cartridge. As I am a deer hunter I went through a couple of them but they are too much gun for my uses and the 30-30 shoots a bit flatter. As stated by others both adapt to cast bullets but the 45-70 is generally more of what I would call a cast bullet gun as jacketed are quite spendy for one and it just adapts to cast. It also depletes a lead supply pretty quickly and has a bit of recoil. I still have a Remington RB in one but it is saved for black powder use.
    I consider the 30-30 about one of the best cast bullet combos made and prefer it as it can be loaded almost to 32-20 levels and up to deer hunting levels. For me the 30-30 is nicer as I got tired of getting thumped by bigger rifles and factory ammo can be had at a cost level that almost makes reloading unnecessary. That same cost level translates to brass cost. Even if the cases would not last as long which with reasonable loads they do, The case costs are cheap enough not to matter.

DP

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl52 View Post
    If your not in a hurry and have an interest a Henry in 38-55 will be coming this fall. I have the CCH in 45-70 and its fun to shoot and with the hunting type loads isnt anything bad. I dont own a 30-30 but I have in the past. I just like big bore. Al
    Never heard of the 38-55 WCF, thanks for the heads up. Sounds interesting too!

Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    The 45-70 is an interesting cartridge. As I am a deer hunter I went through a couple of them but they are too much gun for my uses and the 30-30 shoots a bit flatter. As stated by others both adapt to cast bullets but the 45-70 is generally more of what I would call a cast bullet gun as jacketed are quite spendy for one and it just adapts to cast. It also depletes a lead supply pretty quickly and has a bit of recoil. I still have a Remington RB in one but it is saved for black powder use.
    I consider the 30-30 about one of the best cast bullet combos made and prefer it as it can be loaded almost to 32-20 levels and up to deer hunting levels. For me the 30-30 is nicer as I got tired of getting thumped by bigger rifles and factory ammo can be had at a cost level that almost makes reloading unnecessary. That same cost level translates to brass cost. Even if the cases would not last as long which with reasonable loads they do, The case costs are cheap enough not to matter.

DP
    Thanks for the feed back. I'm getting the feeling that 45-70 might be better for pure hunting application and foolish for plinking like the lighter 30-30 and such.

Yeah, I'm in no hurry. Since I live in California, our ability to legally purchase ammo online ENDS next year! Therefore, I'm trying to purchase ammunition (like 22lr rimfire) that can't be reloaded or that I don't want to reload for; I.E. self defense handgun ammo.

Gent on another forum sent me this video link. Marlin 45-70 guide gun @ 1080 yards. Very impressive! I feel like a dog with two bones, can't decide which one I want.

Boolit Master
    Either caliber offers its shooter targeting enjoyment. Although I do think the 45-70 is more versatile in its cartridge reloading. Only draw back to a 45-70 shooting. Its recoil.__ 1-1/2 times that of a 30-30s.

For me the 45-70 comes into its own in a good single shot like a Sharps or my rolling block. Lever actions limit the bullet length and do not permit the cartridges full potential. Long range shooting with a 45-70 is fun for many and is its own game. Especially with black powder. It is also very spendy.
    Versatility is a matter of perspective. For me the 30-30 is more versatile in that 30 cal cast bullets are available in a variety of weights and inexpensive molds. With the right bullets one can plink with a 30-30 at longer ranges also. I have used a 188 grain bullet in mine with good results. I also like the light bullets for tin can type shooting. Depending on ones desires either will be satisfying but in a lighter weight lever a 45-70 can be somewhat brutal with some loads.

DP

I have, like, and load for both calibers. I had a Marlin 45/70 once that kicked like a demented mule with the heavy loads I used to run in it. I sold that one, amd since I'm older and wiser now I'd like to have it back. I have discovered that you don't need mastodon loads to punch holes in paper, and the old punkin' roller can be loaded down for pleasant shooting and general plinking.

Yesterday I was shooting 300 grain bullets with 13 grains of Unique. About 1200 fps, and very pleasnat to shoot.

I can't make the decision for you, but since you asked, I'd probably go with the 45/70.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl52 View Post
    If they would do the CCH in .375Win, I'd be all over it.

I've got both a Marlin 30AS in.30-30 & 1895GS in.45-70. The .30-30 is a joy to shoot, accurate & my primary deer-getter. The .45-70's a ton of fun, as well, especially with Trapdoor loads. Full-on, hunting loads though, will definitely get your attention.
    Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben.

Perma - Banned
    yep I own two leveraction 30-30's one Winchester one marlin and I love shooting cast bullets in them!!! so I vote for the 30-30!

I have always had an interest in the 45-70 but the 30-30 makes more since to me and it was the first deer rifle I got to hunt with when I was a kid.

I also have a 38-55 Marlin Cowboy. It is a pleasant gun to shoot, quite accurate and would not be a bad choice EXCEPT, brass is sometimes hard to get and bullet molds are limited. It is however a pleasant rifle to shoot. Factory loads are limited, but if one handloads it is about as good as any. 38-55's in general are all over the place in bore diameters but if Henry comes out with one that would not be an issue. Wonder what they will use as a diameter?

DEP

Vendor Sponsor

30-30 can be real cheap to shoot and make a great deer rifle
    of course 45-70 and 10 grains of unique is cheap too ..
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!