Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationPBcastco
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Installing checks w/NOE push through sizer

Installing checks w/NOE push through sizer

Are these sizers not meant to install checks ?.I tried some .324 and .501,the boolit gets a little past even with the bottom of the sizer bushing then stops.I weight about 250 and cant force them through.I sheared off the set screw pounding them out.I tried base first also,no better.If I install the checks on my lyman then try the NOE push through,with two hands they will go through but It sounds terrible.The boolits go through naked just fine.Anyone else had this happen ?.They are Hornady checks btw.
    One who does nothing makes no mistakes.

Boolit Master
    I just did a batch of 30 cal with NOE .310 die and the checks installed fine, just like they would in a Star die. I was using gator checks, so don't know if the Hornady would be any different. But I recently discovered that I have to be careful when checking 321 powder-coated boolits because they will stick in the Star die (I don't have NOE for anything but the 310). I spray with Hornady one-shot (or at least a home-made version of it) before sending them through.

I'm a big fan of the NOE sizing system but your bullets and checks need to be sized and checked in smaller steps than say with the Lee push through dies. It's easier to get the checks on without distortion if you first size the bullet down then run it again to crimp on the check. Always remove the bushing from the die body before dislodging a stuck bullet. There's a small learning curve to the NOE system but I order more bushings with each mould order. Gp

I will seat and size .325 first in the lyman then to .324 with NOE..Do you need to use lube first with the NOE sizer with a gas checked boolit ?The plain unchecked size easy.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Pushed thousands of GC bullets through the Lee Lube Sizers ... not one loose cap
    I pan lube or shake in Alox the bullets separately before I use the Lee
    Regards
    John

I have found similar difficulties with the NOE push-through sizers. My solution has been to polish the ID of the bushings with the goal of creating a taper for the first 2/3 of the length, leaving a smaller sizing band at the top. In my experience, the NOE bushings have a relatively large length of parallel surface vs. the Lee sizers. The NOE system also lacks the utility of full press leverage due to the shortened ram stroke with the die protruding from the bottom. I do find sizing easier with the Lee dies, but in full disclosure I polish ALL of my sizing dies. I'm with gpidaho, I still frequently buy the NOE bushings because it's overall a cheaper investment and they come in any size I need, most importantly on the money diameter-wise.

Its working better now.I seat the check with the lyman .325,then a light coat of BLL,they go alot easier that way.But I still cant seat the checks with the NOE first.It will be fine.