Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Magma Bullet Master Gurus?

Boolit Man
    Thanks Blackriver. I thought about this last night, and I agree - this is a mechanical issue and doesn't have anything to do with micro switches, pour solenoids, etc. I see a PM, I am sure that is from you.

Thanks again. I will get in touch.

-Burwell

Boolit Man
    Quick Update: I talked with Blackriver yesterday afternoon and so far, we have identified 2 problems with the pour alignment. The first was the two holes the 1/4" shear bolt goes through were out of spec. As BR said when I sent him 2 pics "... holy sh*t". Solution was to drill a 5/16" hole and install corresponding bolt. The 5/16" drill bit barely cut any material. The second issue is the homemade sprue cutter tension/brake shoe assembly had way too much tension and was binding molds and thus binding the carousal. Also related to that was there was zero high temp grease anywhere that molds contacted the machine. I didn't know to apply grease, so now it is greased with high temp lube in the appropriate areas. I removed the homemade sprue cutter tension assembly and watched the mold position as they rotated (not pouring lead) and all the molds aligned in the same place under the pot. Monday I will order the needed sprue cutter parts. Black River also sent me the part number for the air knocker piston that I can order from Amazon (an upgrade to my machine). Cost, about $14!! He is also sending a copy of the MK2 owner's manual - Magma can't furnish due to a fire a while back. They can only go back to a MK4 manual.

So, a HUGE thanks to Black River!

That's great news. Have you been able to figure out the age of your Mark 2? As near as I can figure, my Mark 6 is over 20 years old, and probably older than that. I'm the third owner that I know of.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    That's great news. Have you been able to figure out the age of your Mark 2? As near as I can figure, my Mark 6 is over 20 years old, and probably older than that. I'm the third owner that I know of.

Fred
    Hey Fred, I am not sure. I was told my MK2 was from the late 80s. The serial number is #118. I would be interested in trying to date it. I too am at least the 3rd owner. The guy I bought it from still knows the guy in FL he bought it from and can send me his email. I may try and get in touch and see what he says or can tell me about it.

These machines are more fun than a pet monkey!

I've owned pet monkeys when I was a kid. They're no fun, and when these machines decide they don't want to work, they're no fun, either.......

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

A video would be nice when you get the beast running smooth. Nice work guys.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    A video would be nice when you get the beast running smooth. Nice work guys.
    Great idea Plate Plinker. I will see what I can come up with.

I don't know if this video is going to play or not, but it's of my Mark 6:

Hope this helps.

Fred

I tried to edit the above post, but the website wouldn't allow it. This short video was taken when we first set up the machine and we were learning to use it. It's been tweaked quite a bit since this video was taken and runs better now.

About 3 seconds after I stopped the camera, the machine broke a shear pin, due to a sprue getting caught between the halves of one of the mold blocks. The previous owner had been a shade tree mechanic, and the sprue knocker mounting had been removed and held in place with a pair of vicegrip pliers. We've since fixed that, after having the shaft bent on about a dozen pistons from getting caught under a mold when the machine skips a beat. We're still working on the skipping part...........

Hope this helps.

Fred

It's good to know there are some resources out there that can help with these problems. I have a Mk III I purchased a few years ago and have never used. I know it leaks, but it came with a new orifice plate a few other parts. Someday when I get some time I'd like to see if can get it going. Magma sent me a manual shortly after I purchased it, and I'm sure I will be able to find it eventually. I'd love to get rid of the solenoid knockers and replace them with air knockers.

Bruce
    Star Machine Works - Owner
    The Original Blue Press - Made by Machinists not Machines.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Man
    Update: I ordered the newest sprue cutter assembly version from Magma Monday to replace the terribly made homemade sprue cutter that was binding the carousel on my MKII unit. The new sprue cutter was delivered today and I got it installed. The machine is running like a Swiss watch and after some final adjustment of the drive rod clevis, the pour alignment is perfect across all 8 molds. Its now running like a Swiss watch.

Here is a pic of running the machine for about 15 minutes after the molds got hot.
    Attachment 195298

I can't figure out how to move a video off my smart phone to my laptop. The file is too large to attach to an email.

A HUGE thanks to all for the help, but a special thanks to Black River who helped me diagnosis the problem after work one afternoon with a call and followup texts and pictures.

Now I just need to keep this thing fed. Any suggestions on where to order lead? I have used Roto Metals in the past. I don't know of a local supplier for lead here in New Orleans or in the area. I'd like to avoid shipping costs if possible.

Thanks again to all!!

Boolit Master
    Good to hear you have it up and running as it should, shame it was such a pain to work out, but it's always good to hear a happy ending. Just wait for the bill from Black River

Boolit Man
    Another quick update: I ran the MKII for about 40 minutes yesterday with a mix of 4 230 grain RNBB .45 ACP molds and a mix of 4 other singles, including .38, 10mm, .45 ACP SWC and .45 Long Colt. Ended up with about 44 pounds of bullets!

I am having a blast with it!

I am now on the hunt for more molds for it. If anyone has any they are not using, let me know!

Boolit Master

That's awesome. ​Now you can really start saving money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12