Reloading EverythingPBcastcoRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: First try at checking.

Boolit Master

First try at checking.

Fairly new to casting, not new to reloading. I want to try some heavy 44Mag loads, so....

Got hold of some Lee C430-310 to try in some of my Rugers. Also, a box of Hornady 44Cal (#7130) checks.

When I tried to install the checks thru a Lyman 45 sizer/luber, the checks would just fall off when removing the boolit from the sizing die.

I have found answers on this forum to several other of my questions, so I did a search (yeah, I know.... a search !)and decided to try annealing a few checks to test.

I laid 10 checks, cup down, on a piece a heat-resistant tile, turned off the lights, and played the flame from a propane torch on them until they glowed a dull red, i.e.- just a few seconds each. I let them cool, then tried it out.

Success ! The annealed checks worked perfectly. I cannot pry them off with my fingernail, so I'm going to shoot them.

I certainly appreciate the freely shared information on this site. I just hope that eventually someone asks a question to which I know the answer, so I can help others, as I have been helped here.

Now, I need to peel the loose checks off the 40 or so already lubed boolits, wipe them off, anneal and re-check. I am looking forward to these heavies in my SRH and SBH.

Moderator Emeritus

I have that mold as well...it's well known to have a undersized GC shank. Another trick to try, is to size the boolit without putting a check on, then install the check by running it through the die again, also lubing it at that time.
    ...The boolit's first trip through the die, will increase the size of the GC shank...sometimes enough, sometimes not enough.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

This is the beauty of having a checkmaker. Just use thicker material for undersized shanks

Boolit Master

James, I did eyeball the special Lee checks that you carry.

I have some of your other checks, and may purchase the Lee checks, if I start casting this 430-310 Lee. I already have the Hornady copper checks, and the advantage of them is that I CAN anneal them. I received some of these Lee boolits from another member, just to try out.

I just don't use checked boolits, at least not until now. If I continue using them, I'll look at my options.

I just wanted to thank all here for the help. When I started loading, long before the internet existed, help was a great deal harder to find. Mostly, I just read everything I could find, and muddled through.

Boolit Grand Master

Isn't it great to be able to immediately find several answer for a perplexing problem? If a member here hasn't already ran into the same problem, it will challenge someone to figure it out.
    Last edited by mold maker; 05-07-2017 at 06:38 PM.
    Information not shared. is wasted.