Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coming soon: How to form 45-90 into .43 Mauser

Boolit Bub
    I went with the 45-90 case that I first trimmed to length and then trimmed the edge of the rim so it was the same diameter as the original ammo base or check the fit in the 71/84 Mauser bolt face. I did not have to modify the ejector on one rifle since it sat flush with the bolt face but another rifle had an ejector that had an angled surface and sat above the bolt face surface even when the ejector was pushed all the way down. I modified that ejector so it was flush with the bolt face when pushed down and the cases all sat perfect in the bolt face pocket. By the way, the modified ejector still worked just fine with my custom made brass with that strange base. I originally started out with the expensive custom made brass and had trouble when sizing because a few of the rims where cut a bit thin and would get ripped off when FL sizing. I had seen people asking if the 45-90 brass would work so I tried it. I was also thinking about using 45-70 brass because it's even cheaper and I'm a bit disabled and full power loads are a bit hard on me. I Tried Unique powder and some 294gr cast bullets from (I think) a .450-294M mold. They have a cup in the base like a mini-ball so they are long for their weight. I size them using a Lyman .446 bullet sizer. I use a small square of toilet paper pushed down on the powder to keep it in place. I was actually very surprised how accurate the light load rounds were and I'm going to do some more. I also liked the reduced recoil. I would love to know how people are doing with modified 45-70 brass but I might just try the light loads in that case the next time I go to the range.

Boolit Master
    use an O ring in front of the rim on 45-90 cases to center the brass in the chamber.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    use an O ring in front of the rim on 45-90 cases to center the brass in the chamber.
    I had figured that since the rims are centered in the bolt face and fit well so it would keep the case centered. If you have used the "O" ring to center the case in the chamber what size O ring was it? I have a small set of different size O rings and could try this idea although I have not had any problems with the fire formed cases.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12