WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Astounding ...could not believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Wasn't this the train that was on American Pickers?
    Nope.

But I can't find proof...
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Banned

They showed a train much like this and the guy was a tool and die maker. I swear it is the same one

Boolit Master
    A neighbor of mine builds these and helps others build them as well. He's in his eighties and still goes out to the shop. I've never done any of the casting but he does. He makes his own patterns, then does the casting from lost wax process. Quite a guy!!

Boolit Buddy
    woooo... Very fine and very cool example of "AMERICAN CRAFTSMANSHIP".... sometimes hard to find nowadays.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

For anyone who appreciates trains or wood carving you need to visit the Ernest Warther Museum in Dover, Ohio. I have been there several times and still am amazed at what this man did with carving. http://thewarthermuseum.com

Ernest "Mooney" Warther
    Ernest "Mooney" Warther was born on October 30th, 1885 in an old, one room school house in Dover, Ohio. The youngest of five children, Ernest learned at a young age the value of hard work. After his father passed away when Ernest was just three years old, times were tough for the Warther family, with young mother Anna, five children, twenty cents, and a cow. Upon turning five, Ernest began his first job as the local cow herder, taking cows to pasture for a penny a piece and earning him the nickname that would stay for the rest of his life, "Mooney." One fateful day, taking the cows out, Mooney found a rusty pocketknife in the dirt. This old knife would ultimately change the course of Mooney's life forever as the young boy began whittling sticks, fence-posts, and anything else. Because times were tough and money was short, Mooney would only finish the second grade and would eventually lie about his age at 14 to work at the American Sheet and Tin Company which was the local steel mill. Falling in love with the railroad and steam engines as a teenager, Mooney found his focus for carving, which became his hobby. When he was not working at the mill, he was carving. If he was not carving he was with his wife Frieda, his own five children, and the neighborhood clan. Mooney's journey is one that is remarkable, with one man creating sixty-four scaled and working representations of steam history. His carvings were created between 1905 and 1971, between the ages of 20 and 86. Beyond the carvings, Mooney Warther was discovered by the New York Central Railroad, traveled with his carvings, raised a family, opened his own museum, and dedicated his life to the town of Dover, Ohio and educating all people through his works. He was a character, smart as a whip, always with a story to tell, and often told the story while carving a pair of his signature pliers. People from all over the world came to Dover to see the man with the wild hair, the booming voice, and the genius mind who carved so perfectly, you had to see it to believe it.

Boolit Master
    Was it a steamer? If it was that would be a blast to drive around

Perma-Banned

That is incredible. I am always amazed at peoples abilities.

Boolit Master
    They have all thought "Why couldn't we do it full-size", and the one that started this thread is pretty close. But in Britain a group of enthusiasts have just built, at a cost of several million, the first main-line steam locomotive built in several decades. "Tornado" was recently tested at 100mph with a train, in the intention of using her up to 90. I believe one of the very large American locomotives is still running regular trips for enthusiasts, but burns waste oil, while "Tornado" uses genuine coal. Further on in this series of short videos "The Flying Scotsman", an original, was the first British locomotive to reach 100mph, but "Mallard", a streamlined steam locomotive now on static display, still holds the world record of 126mph pulling a seven-coach train.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-3897...ad-for-tornado

I don't believe this man, splendid example of the traditional British eccentric, ever built a model in his life. But in Britain he still holds a vital place at the practical end of industrial archaeology. He started out in a documentary about his work as a steeplejack, and then they discovered that he could present documentaries better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Dibnah

I don't think anybody with a degree on media studies could begin to equal his work on the Victorian industrial age. When I was in Saudi Arabia some of the more gifted among my merry little bunch of Bedouin asked what was different about life in the UK. I showed them some of Fred's documentaries, and told them that some of the people they saw, working with their hands dirty, were retired manual workers, and others were very wealthy businessmen. But you couldn't tell the difference, and outside the office neither could they.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12