Views:	87 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	194516

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DO 3.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	194518

I am starting from scratch on this gun. The bore is clean, and slugs around 0.311" (Caliper measurement, I will get a better reading on an optical comparator at work.)

The bolt is a two lug bolt. I have read these may not be safe to shoot? The action is smooth and tight.

I would like to be able to load and shoot some lower power rounds with it, but I do not even know where to start.

Brass / bullets / original load info.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

In Remembrance

Mauser M1888 carbine. I don't recognize the crest since the photo has insufficient detail. Nonetheless, it is most likely 7.92X57 Mauser cartridge. The early ones had a .318 groove diameter and later ones .323" diameter. so slugging he bore is a good idea. Also, it was made in several other cartridges, so a chamber cast might be in order. Many of these ended up in Argentina and Chile as well as several other South American countries with their own proprietary cartridges.

Boolit Master

I think this is either an 1889 or 1891 Mauser. The 1889 Belgian mauser rifle had a barrel shroud but I don't know if they even made a carbine in it but the 1891 they did. I'm unsure of the crest on the receiver ring. It is not Argentine. Since the barrel slugs out to around .311 I would guess that it is in 7.65X53MM. At one time I owned a 1891 Argentine carbine that looked very much like the one in the photo and it also was made by Loewe in Berlin.
    Last edited by skeet1; 05-01-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I believe it's an M1891 carbine made by Ludwig Loewe. Looks like an Argentine, but I don't recognize the receiver ring crest.

Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    I think this is either an 1889 or 1891 Mauser. The 1889 Belgian mauser rifle had a barrel shroud but I don't know if they even made a carbine in it but the 1891 they did. I'm unsure of the crest on the receiver ring. It is not Argentine. Since the barrel slugs out to around .311 I would guess that it is in 7.65X53MM. At one time I owned a 1891 Argentine carbine that looked very much like the one in the photo and it also was made by Loewe in Berlin.
    I agree with this information from my experience with early Mausers and the 7.65X53mm is a great cartridge and easily loaded using available brass and bullets. Graf's has Brass made by Privi and use the same J-words as 303 Britt or same moulds as for 303 Britt also you can also make brass from 30/06 if you want to.
    Last edited by frogleg; 05-02-2017 at 12:28 AM.

The crest on your carbine is an older version of the Spanish crest, so it was made for Spain in the date indicated on the receiver by Loewe. It is likely an 1891 model, and also quite likely in 7.65x53mm caliber as indicated by your bore slug measurement of .311.

Boolit Master
    Is that an aperture sight mounted at the comb?

Can't tell much about the muzzle from this image.

Looks somewhat modified.

The Long Rifles were sometimes fitted with long range target sights mounted on the comb, these being custom jobs for competition.

They even mounted such sights on the heel of the butt stock for use in the odd laying down position used by some shooters many years ago. You'd have to see photos of this to believe it.

I'm fairly sure this rifle has been modified and likely cut down.

All:
    Thank you for the replies. I measured the slugs I pushed through and found something interesting. When I pushed one from the muzzle to the chamber, it became easier to push through at the end. I then pushed a slug from the chamber end and stopped a few inches in.

The slugs that pushed all the way through measured 0.310".

The slug I only pushed a few inches in from the chamber side measured 0.311"

So I am planning to size to 0.312".

I plan to do a chamber cast this weekend. I hope it comes out as 7.65X53mm as several of you have suggested.

Multigunner:
    It is an aperture sight. The handiwork is not that great, I suspect it was not factory! I also think you are correct that it was cut down, however that work seems pretty good.

DerGebergsjager: Thanks for the input on the crest. I will try to look that up.

If anyone has more to add, please do so!
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Based on my more than limited knowledge of Mausers I agree with DerGebergsjager and you need some steel wool! That is an awesome looking 1891 carbine under that fuzz.
    I predict fun for sure.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Mauser Military Rifles of the World by Robert W.D. Ball , has several good photos of this 1891 Spanish Cavalry Carbine. I believe it is an original carbine by the position of the lower sling loop under the grip, the long rifles are nearer to the butt plate. Sell the tang sight and inlet a repair piece , find a proper butt plate, and send us another photo. According to what I read in this book, Spain sent all its carbines and 10,000 M1891 rifles to Cuba and subsequently captured by the U.S. army. 12,000+ were held in US inventory until Jan 3-4, 1899, then auctioned off to the public at Springfield Armory. Probably most were purchased Bannerman and similar firms. Have fun with your new toy , those are the type of relics I lust after!

Boolit Grand Master
    I gotta go with the Spanish Mauser in my limited experience. There are so many variants of Mauser. I peruse the Mauser boards to expand my knowledge.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Perma-Banned
    Looks like Spain. Here's crest of Spain you can get on your iPhone case !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 12.07.58 PM.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	195221

In Remembrance

It looks almost identical to the `91 Engineers Carbine I have of Argentine markings in 7.65 caliber.Robert

I found a box of 7.65X53mm at my local Cabellas and tried it out today. Only one shot to compare the brass. I believe it is definitely 7.65X53mm as the bras fit perfectly and there was no abnormal stress on the brass after firing. Now to find brass.....

If you have some you are willing to part with, please let me know!!

Thanks for your help, this has been fun.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    I made cases for mine from 30-06 brass.

RCBS 14365 Trim 7.65Mmx53 Ammunition Die
    RCBS 7.65 mm x 53 Belgium Mauser F L Die Set.

Wow, neat gun. looks like it might have some issues with the butt plate and the ears of the muzzle cap look to be cut off. Wood and metal are nice and the crest is intact and readable. which is good because this is a very low survival rate gun, examples that do come to light are invariably well used and rough. I have two of them, one is pretty good, but the stock was cut back to a few inches in front of the rear band and the other gun is in relic condition.

So, in a nutshell, its a rare gun and yours is in about as good of condition as they get. I would be very careful about any surface cleaning, looks to have much original finish under the surface rust. don't want to loose that.

These served in one of the Spanish colonial wars in some exotic location but I can't remember were. Then went to Cuba for the Spanish American war. Were captured, sold thru I believe Bannerman. Then spent well over a hundred years as American sporting rifles. Its a wonder any survived at all.