Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: RCBS Hand Primers

Boolit Master

RCBS Hand Primers

Was there an RCBS hand primer which operated one primer at a time, before the one utilizing strips and the one with a plastic primer reservoir with a lid, similar to those used by the Lee Auto Prime?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

I have the RCBS universal primer, which uses the square primer box with lid. But you can single feed it if you would rather.

I think if you were going to do it a lot like that you would want to make a plug where the tray goes in so the primer would have no place to go.

I have done small batch's that way when I had just a few extra's to prime.

But for normal use I see no advantage to doing it that way. You have to handle each primer, drop it into place and hope it does not flip upside down on the way in.

Good tool IMO, just wish I'd bought 2.

Attachment 194523
    Click to enlarge.

Boolit Master

Der Gebirgsiager, you just showed a picture of my favorite hand primer. I use Lee old screw style also but he RCBS Posi Prime is my favorite. I also have a Sinclair and it is a good well thought out tool, but I still prefer RCBS. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Was there an RCBS hand primer which operated one primer at a time, before the one utilizing strips and the one with a plastic primer reservoir with a lid, similar to those used by the Lee Auto Prime?
    My memory grows fuzzier with time; but I seem to remember a Lee Hand Primer tool that did not have the Tray and primed one primer at a time back in the 1970's.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys, I acquired one like Der G. showed. I wondered how old it was.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Der Gebirgsjager;4034929]Attachment 194523
    QUOTE]

My favorite. I had to replace it with a newer moder when I broke the casting. I miss the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    My memory grows fuzzier with time; but I seem to remember a Lee Hand Primer tool that did not have the Tray and primed one primer at a time back in the 1970's.
    Not so fuzzy. It was the predecessor to the first auto-prime hand tool.
    Made of tough red plastic with a non-removable shell holder molded into it.
    I recently saw some late 1970s Lee Loaders that included one of these instead of the priming anvil.
    I have one in .30-30 WCF. (The priming tool)

+ 1 on my favorite hand held primer as well - the RCBS Posi-Prime. It's a great fit in the hand, has a smooth operation and a great feel for when the primer is inserted and bottoms out. They've been discontinued for decades now, and I've been informed that RCBS is out of parts for them. Over the past few years, I've picked up several very nice specimens off of fleaBay. It's all I use now, and the universal priming arm has been removed from the Rock Chucker.

Pics:

Last edited by Bayou52; 05-04-2017 at 08:10 PM.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master
    Original Lee hand primer with screw in shell holders.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leeprimetool.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	195483

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    EDG

Boolit Master

EDG, what caliber is that Lee Target Loader? I have 4 RCBS Posi-Prime and 5 of the Lee screw in shell holder style primer tools. I prefer the RCBS as I said before but the Lee's were my first hand primers and I still like them. I would not be able to pass up another Posi-Prime if the opportunity presents itself ad the price was decent. I try to keep a hand primer tool for each of my calibers I load. At some point I will have to sell some of them but am holding for now. james

Boolit Master
    That is a Googled photo.

I think I have 5 of the old Lee tools and good selection of the shell holders. I really like them considering the original price was about $1.50 at the local Gibson's Discount Store. I should have bought one for every shell holder that I own. When I got rid of my .243 Target model loader the last F shell holder that I owned went with it. That was because my brother hijacked my Lee priming tool with the back up F shell holder. I have never used the Posi-Prime so I will be on the look out for one.

One of the disadvantages of the Lee screw in priming tools is there are some large cartridge cases that Lee did not make shell holders for.
    If I need to prime 50-70 Govt I have to use a RCBS press shell holder in a little RCBS bench primer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040402Medium.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	195510

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    EDG, what caliber is that Lee Target Loader? I have 4 RCBS Posi-Prime and 5 of the Lee screw in shell holder style primer tools. I prefer the RCBS as I said before but the Lee's were my first hand primers and I still like them. I would not be able to pass up another Posi-Prime if the opportunity presents itself ad the price was decent. I try to keep a hand primer tool for each of my calibers I load. At some point I will have to sell some of them but am holding for now. james
    Last edited by EDG; 05-14-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    EDG