Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: chrono or magnetospeed?

Banned

chrono or magnetospeed?

i've been without a chrono( jumped right in front of my bullet, honest) for about 7 or 8 years. i think its time to get one, again.

i have been looking at a MagnetoSpeed Sporter Chronograph. it seems like it will do what i want, which is measuring fps. i am a cripple(handi-capable person to you pc ers) and i don't want to computerize it. i like the fact that i no longer have to set it up, pray that the light is good and i can tell what velocity the bullet does, by me turning my head.

i don't plan on using on using the magnetospeed every shot. when i'm satisfied by the accuracy, i'll use it to see what velocity will be. i've looked at sites reviews(midway, amazon...) and it seems ok(i look at 3 stars or less).

so do i want a shooters' chrono(which i've used) or magnetospeed?

Banned

LabRadar
    Do yourself a favor
    Last edited by jmort; 05-01-2017 at 01:55 PM.

A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

I have the standard Magneto Speed and like it a lot. Nothing to set up/take down, compact and not too expensive. Strap the blade to your barrel, make sure you're not going to shoot it and start recording speeds.

Boolit Grand Master

Several at the club have the magneto speeds and like them. They are a good unit to work with. I have the lab radar and really like it for several reasons. One it dosnt attach to the firearm, meaning its easier to test several firearms on a given day. Two it set beside the firearm and is easy to set to different strings so I can keep track of the days results. three it gives multiple readings on each shot from 10 ft to 175 yds ( farthest Ive tried with 45 cal bullets) in set incremenrts up to 5 total. This allows for the actual bc to be computed and a drop table made up. It gives SD ES and other data also

Banned
    i would like the lab radar, but its a little too expensive for disability check. i'm looking at under $200.

Banned

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/85...al-chronograph

This is around $100.00 and well reviewed.
    Last edited by jmort; 05-02-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Boolit Master

Chronograpshs

I was just talking to one of the guys at the range today about the Magneto unit. His complaint was that by attaching it to the barrel, he felt that he could not really judge his load's accuracy or zero with it attached. Of course, like the OP, if using after you have decided on a load then there's no issue with that.

My range installed overhead bullet baffles a few years ago, and my old Pact unit with the usual shadow activated sensors, quit being very reliable, so I bit the bullet and bought the Radarlab unit. It's been quite a labor saver and it is fast to set up. It gives me the bullet's velocity at the muzzle, at 25 yards, 50, 75 and at 100 yards as well as the usual data. The down side is that it's a pretty pricey unit and it eats Double A batteries up pretty fast. The eight batteries powering the unit last about two trips to the range and the batteries need replacing. I'll probably end up ordering the optional rechargeable battery for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Radarlab Chrono-800-90%.jpg  
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 05-02-2017 at 12:28 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

My limited experience - I have a Chrony - one of my friends has both a
    Chrony and a magnetospeed
    The Chrony can be finicky about light to get good consistent readings
    - The Magneto speed can be finicky about finding the correct settings
    to register
    - the Chrony is straight forward to set up.
    -The Magneto speed has a rod you put into the barrel to register the bayonet
    with so it's in spec - If you forget to pull your rod and pull the trigger
    with a barrel obstruction you will need to visit a gunsmith and you will either
    shorten or replace the barrel, provided something worse doesn't happen.

I have the labradar on the wish list. It's worth saving to get the best
    possible stuff to make your life easier.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy

I shot my first Chrony. Bought another. I just got tired of how finicky it is with the light and clouds and shadows, etc. I got the Labradar. It is the way to go. It's definitely worth saving up for.
    "A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"

Boolit Master
    I am happy with my MagnetoSpeed but it it is limited to a single barrel with little but sight ramp on the last 6 or 8 inches. Now that the LabRadar is available, I would go with that if you can afford it. I still use and old Chrony for handgun and tube-feed levers when curiosity strikes. I will probably get a LabRadar in the future.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I am happy with my MagnetoSpeed but it it is limited to a single barrel with little but sight ramp on the last 6 or 8 inches.
    Not a fact. Just turn the MagnetoSport upside down and mount on top of the barrel with any rifle that has a magazine. Been doing it with my levers with a magazine tube and even with globe foresights
    Regards
    John

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Not a fact. Just turn the MagnetoSport upside down and mount on top of the barrel with any rifle that has a magazine. Been doing it with my levers with a magazine tube and even with globe foresights

thats a good one to know!!!

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    How do the LabRadar and the MagnetoSport compare to the Oehler 35P?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!