R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Not always and it's about .50 per case more expensive than 50-110
    R J Talley

Boolit Master
    Starline has difficulty forming their own brass to make 40-65 Win. There are usually 5% defects in the brass you get that they missed during culling.
    I would expect forming .348 to be at least as bad if not worse.

Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    Anyone tried it.
    EDG

I tried three times. I also failed three times. It's a huge squeeze to run it into a .348 die. At one point I actually tore my Rockchucker off its mount.
    R J Talley

Boolit Master
    It is probably easy enough to do with enough intermediate dies.
    The most difficult forming I have tried is forming .40-65 from 45-70 brass. For some reason the last die that forms the finished dimensions wants to produce squiggly lines on the case neck to body junction. By comparison forming .33 Win from 45-70 is easy with the RCBS forming die set which is Form 1, Form 2, Trim die, FL die. The .33 Win forming is a smaller version of the .348.

To form 40-65 required extra dies.

1. A 40-65 base forming die Not sure this one was needed. It does little to the case mouth but forms the long taper on the base of the case. (.466 diameter)
    2. .40-60 Win Form 1 set shallow to match the 40-65 body length. (.452 diameter)
    3. .40-60 Win Trim Set shallow (.432)
    4. .40-65 Win trim (.429)
    5. .40-60 Win trim set shallow (.423) This is another trim die of the same brand RCBS with a different inside diameter at the case mouth.
    Used carefully these 5 dies will produce defect free formed 40-65 cases.

I have also used only the 40-65 FL die to do the same but a few cases are always lost.

I list this process because I am sure you could step down the 50-110 brass to .348 just as easily with the right dies.

I tried three times. I also failed three times. It's a huge squeeze to run it into a .348 die. At one point I actually tore my Rockchucker off its mount.
    EDG

Boolit Master

omgb, How many 348 cases will be needed??
    What would the loss rate be in forming?
    Cheaper to buy factory 348 cases
    I have lots for my purposes, but do buy
    them when they are sighted

p.s. yes, I have formed 348 and 8mm Lebel cases BUT
    you will need lots of trim dies, Imperial Sizing Wax, annealing
    and a stout press. I use a 12 ton shop press and also an RCBS A-2 press

Mike

Boolit Grand Master
    Given the droughts and outages of components over the past decade or so--concerns about long-term availability of brass types other than 243/308/30-06 are understandable.

Along this line--I just this past month was able to order and receive CCI SGB 22 LR ammo for the first time in close to a decade. That is patently ridiculous. All CCI 22 LR ammo has been unobtanium for more than 6 years where I live (inland southern CA). No need to regale me with anti-CA commentary, either--no one hates CA nonsense as much as someone subject to it 24/7/365.25.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 05-01-2017 at 08:29 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Bozeman MT has Win 22LR bricks of 1000 for $54, that was two weeks ago. I bought two. I need anther 200 .348 cases. I buy them when I see them but they don't last forever. So far my 50-110 idea is not panning out. Lost rate is 100%
    R J Talley

Boolit Grand Master
    Hmmmm. I had a 33 WCF/Win 1886 some years back, and used the form die set from RCBS to make cases from 45/70. There were several die steps, but I don't recall any case loss. Contrast this to the 20 Bertram Brass cases in 33 WCF I paid $3 each for in 1987 dollars, and found that 3 were underlength and all had uneven case mouths. Hence the form die set. I would look at the Huntington Die Specialties site/catalog and see if some tooling can't resolve the question for you.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I use 348 brass to make 41 Swiss. I do not see any problem trading your brass for 348.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    I have a set of CH4D form dies that make 38-45 ACP.
    It takes the neck down in 3 steps.

One thing i have learned is that the case needs a perfect neck before even trying to size it down and a little bell is good.
    Trim just the tip and deburr good, any "defect" will be a starting point for a wrinkle to form. And they will!
    Go slow and in small steps.
    It can be done with just the sizing die but expect to make some brass scrap on the way.

Is 50-110 a sharps round? If so, I believe I can use it to make 43 Egyptian. I have a few 348 I can trade, how many are you wanting?
    Oops, I see 50-90 is what I need, never mind.
    Last edited by smkummer; 05-21-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: 50-90 brass

Hmmm In Oz, 348 cases are about $1.20 each from Winchester when they do a run.... the only 50-110 cases i can find are Bertram and they are $5 a pop..

Boolit Bub
    Anyone tried it.
    agreed with what previous poster said, the 348 brass and ammo are fairly affordable and easy to find, with some diligent searching.
    I never resized other calibers to 348 for my M71. What I found was, most everyone who has a 348, hoards the ammo, being it's such a unique one off caliber and cartridge. They often times eventually sell the gun and keep the ammo to sell separately later, because the ammo is a considerable investment. With a determined search online and a few "wanted to buy" ads here and there, ended up with more 348 brass and ammo than I could use in my lifetime. a leisurely search through the ma & pa small family owned gunshops, turned up a box or two here and there for bargain prices- cuz it's sitting on a shelf collecting dust for 30 years. I'd also dig through the mixed bargain bins at the gun shows and found a lot there too. ended up with so much 348 brass and ammo, I quit looking for it, as strange as that sounds.

the same is true for 300 Weatherby Magnum. I found an old post on the net that was 3 years old, a guy selling 10-15 boxes of it, for a very good price- less than what it costs new. contacted him, and he still had it ! it never sold. he cut the price to near giveaway something like $3 a box, and sent it all to me, just to get rid of it. most of it was brand new, the rest once fired. FWIW a quick way out is just fire 300 Win Mag in the 300 Weatherby, Walmart has the it for dirt cheap. neck ends up short but it works. a 300 Weatherby is actually a 3 cartridge gun, it will fire 300 Win Mag, 300 H&H, or 300 Weatherby ammo.

it happened one more time with my M1886 in 33 Winchester. I was resizing 45-70 to 33 Win and losing about 1/4 of the brass in the process due to splitting, and having to trim every case, what a laborious PITA. then I went to a gun show, and some old guy was selling 6 boxes of NOS factory loaded ammo for $30 a box. I bought it all gladly. at 1.50 a shot, it was a bargain, and no more resizing in stages, and trimming.

taught me a lesson, always keep an eye out for the real McCoy- may save yourself a lot of work. no matter how well resizing or fireforming conversions work, they look silly once you find the correct headstamped ammo and brass for a song.
    Last edited by CaptainCrossman; 05-28-2017 at 06:42 AM.