MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you like 30-30 or 44 magnum.

I'm A Honcho!
    I just bought a new Marlin 44 MAG 1894 20 inch barrel from Buds and it is the most accurate gun I have ever shot offhand. I can almost touch three shots with a 23.3 g H110 + 240 XTP load at 50 yards and ragged hole rested. I am pleased and impressed.

Have found an ok cast load(255 RanchDog from Range scrap and 9 grains unique) for it, but I am not done testing. Does about 2-2.5 rested at 50 yards. This is with a Skinner peep, standard aperture all else stock.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Bluejay, thats pretty decent shooting. How is the wood to metal fit in that new gun? Is the checkering well executed?

I'm A Honcho!
    Fit and finish is great. Wood needed a little lacquer but thats just being nit picky. I have found no flaws with this one. And with all the negative reviews I read, I actually set out looking for them.

And it was only 525.00 shipped.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master
    Those who prefer the 44 mag for hunting (I) think have for years or_ since the day after a manufacture chambered such mag pistol cartridges for rifle use do believe bullet mass has a huge influence with killing any and all game. To that prior thought all I have to say: If contemplating a big game hunt else where North of the Mason Dixon best have something more appropriately cased for our Big Game animals (Elk Moose & Big Black Boar Bear) other than a marginal 30wcf or a less than marginal 44 Mag. Just saying. For taking Dixie size deer and medium size gators both cartridges (30wcf & 44 mag) are a excellent choice for either application.

Boolit Master

Lever gun I pick 30/30

Semi-Auto the old Ruger 44 mag carbine

Both fill the same usage to me, with the nod to the 44 Ruger carbine. [lighter]

Add the hand gun? Why would I want to carry a big handgun with either? I shoot a model 19 357 with 90% of the loads at 38 special levels.

With the rifles mentioned the 38's loaded are for small game but I still do not carry them regularly when a .22 will do it as better either a S&W 2 1/2" Kit gun or a Walther .22 with a can more likely.

Never found the need for one ammo as I can think and plan for situations. Note the truck is somewhere where I can get to the FAL under the rear seat if needed badly.

Own both, killed dear with both. If I had to get a deer that day, the 30-30 is what I would grab. Less guessing on hold over for that shot past 125 yards.
    While 30-30 has an edge on power, the 44 hits with a smack you can hear at a distance.

I have a complete selection of Levers from 25/20-45/70 & 30/06. Between 44 & 30/30 I would take the 30/30. The 30/30 will do anything a 44 will do, but not visa-versa. This I base on deer
    hunting. Has nothing to do with the ability to kill a deer, it is only that a 30/30 shoots flatter. Same
    thing would apply to 30/30 vs 30/06. I cases where shoots will be 150yds+, I would rather be
    Toting my Win 95 in 30/06 because it shoots flatter. This only stands to reason. When I hunt I
    want the best cartridge for the job. I'm not out to prove that I can kill a deer with a 44 at 200yds
    or 300 yds with a 30/30. I don't "love" any cartridge- I like them all. You just have to pick the best
    one for the game & terrain.Attachment 197787

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123