Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can I really expect from cast boolits

Boolit Grand Master

John, adjust your scope about three to four inches high and one left and you are ready to go hunting! Excellent shooting.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    John, adjust your scope about three to four inches high and one left and you are ready to go hunting! Excellent shooting.
    Actually the bottom right corner of the target square is the POA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    That is an interesting sub-group going on at the top right.

Shiloh
    Problem is that it's not a cold shot group. That leaves three possibilities, either those boolits are slightly heavier than than the rest, the measure throws a slightly heavier/lighter charge on occasion, or in the normal heat cycle of the barrel, there is a point that the barrel is slightly higher and right than at other times. What makes it really interesting is that there are 8 shots in the group, 1/6th of the shots fired and I fired the total group in in six batches of 8 shots with the last batch having two extra rounds fired to make the 50. While my money would be on it being a boolit weight issue let me count the ways I'm not going to try to figure it out. It's been two years now since I moved back home to help take care of my mom and I don't get to bang steel at the ranges I go to now. Back home my range was in my back yard and I could pretty regular hit a 7" plate 85% of the time from standing with that load. That was my practice for deer hunting. I always figured "not too bad for a guy with two heart attacks and dose of COPD. I'm probably gonna weigh out 50 within a half grain and re-fire the exercise on the same target for comparison. It would be interesting to see what if any difference it makes.

Boolit Buddy
    You got a great bullet there..don't know about the powder...11+ grains sounds like its fast...but if you can get your hands on some IMR4895,H4895,4064 or Varget try 27.5 to 29.0 grains, Rx 7 at 19-20 grs these loads should get you groups hovering around 1 MOA or less...and there should be no cold barrel fliers...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    OCD...Ha!......"A man after my own heart!"

Gee, I'd call that pretty good craftsmanship and shooting.
    Did you happen to take note of the FPS they were running at, the Pb blend or BHN? And, that Rem/700, was it the 1:12 twist?

*The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to learn about RPM barriers using top quality cast rounds of differing styles.
    The alloy is noted on the pictures..those were 4-4-92 .. they can be softer...the BHN is probably around 13..No one has noted the difference in the two bullets..one is the NOE 314299 the other 312299.. both sized .310..the 314 has a .304 nose the 312 has a .302 nose..I prefer the .304..

The Rem 700 is a VS with 12" twist...

Haven't chronied them yet...didn't much care after repeating this performance a couple of times..

Quote Originally Posted by guicksylver View Post
    The alloy is noted on the pictures..those were 4-4-92 .. they can be softer...the BHN is probably around 13..No one has noted the difference in the two bullets..one is the NOE 314299 the other 312299.. both sized .310..the 314 has a .304 nose the 312 has a .302 nose..I prefer the .304..

The Rem 700 is a VS with 12" twist...

Haven't chronied them yet...didn't much care after repeating this performance a couple of times..
    Thanks for answering my questions...the FPS is not important when you have found success without working it from that direction.
    I just have a head for numbers and enjoy my 'OCD'ness' when I'm monkeying around and trying to perfect a particular load. It's 'tinkering' to me and enjoy the subtle nuances of the science of our hobby.
    When something is not just right I like to try and understand why.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

"Some GUYS (sic.) just like to have fun" as Cindy said. I do that every once in a while, load up a few mags and blast away, Doesn't take long to get tired and lose concentration. Then you realize the effect on those in a real fire-fight, after humping through the mud or sand.
    Few years back I tried first time prone, with a bipod (1st time) @ 50 yrd 2400 fps 165gr cast from LR308 at 30F something. 3 10 shot groups that gave 1 1/2 MOA, not too shabby for a 70+ yr old guy. One gets surprised at how easy it is to make 'reasonable' ammo without special equipment, trickling, sorting for weight,etc.
    Whatever!

Boolit Man
    Great post and discussion. This is certainly helping me to keep my expectations "real." I am new to casting and I have been learning a ton from good folks like you, and through trial and experimentation. I tend to fall into the OCD spell and this reminder is much appreciated. I am currently working on a 30-06 load for Hog slaying at close and personal distance of less than 90 yards. I am starting with powder coated 311041 that drops at 175.5 grains with my Pb mix, which is not scientific, mostly COWW with about 10% Linotype and some Magnum shot for arsenic, running around 16 BH after water cooled with Lee tester. Thinking of starting with H4895 plus dacron filler in the 22 - 30 grain range in .5 grain increments to see what happens. I will put up results after shooting it this weekend. Thanks again.
    [COLOR=#0000cd][I][SIZE=4][FONT=arial black]LeadPoisonTX[/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/COLOR]

Banned

It is funny, my friends and relatives never thought twice about cast. We started that way so lead is what a boolit is.
    Now they shoot jacketed from muzzle loaders??? Holy smokes, where has the wonderful round ball gone? The need to cheat in a primitive season I guess so they can kill an animal at 200 yards that you are stalking.
    Reminds me of the old days when we had no pheasants in Ohio so they stocked them on public lands. Pen raised did not want to fly so guys would see them piled up and sluice them on the ground. I found I could chase them and flush. Then a jerk busted one I was chasing to shreds. I threw the bird at him and cussed him out. Greed will overcome sportsmanship every turn of the wheel. Shoot birds on the ground or steal deer, seen it all.
    I can't count the deer I have given away to old fellas that were not able. Did it hurt me? NO, they might be up there now but will never forget me.
    You here are the closest I have to how I feel. There are still a few but they do not know me or most of you. Pride comes from helping. A hand or a hug so what else is there?
    The funny metal is where we live. God made it to come out of barrels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12