Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This rifle followed me home--Can I keep it? Pretty please

This rifle followed me home--Can I keep it? Pretty please

I was looking through the racks of one of the semi-local gun stores yesterday and found a CZ 452-2E ZKM, manufacture date 99 according to the stamp on the barrel. 24 inch barrel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image00001.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	194427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image00002.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	194428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image00005.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	194429
    It was marked used, but I can't find a scratch or even a rubbed mark on it anywhere. It could have been sold for new and I would not be able to tell.
    It came home with me today.
    I got it for $225 out the door. I think it was a bit under priced. How good did I do?
    I haven't shot it yet. I am going to clean the barrel and give it a run with the iron sights and then probably put a scope on it after it reminds me just how poor my eyesight has gotten in the last few years.

Boolit Master

Oh I think you did pretty good CZ are tack drivers my 455 shoots Blazer ammo just fantastic
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I think I'd of jumped at that at 100$ over what you paid. Maybe more, I like what I hae been hearing about their rifles. They are the hot stuff at the range.

Boolit Buddy

Yes you can keep it, I'm looking for almost that exact rifle.

Banned

A fella I see at the range I go to now and then let me shoot his the other day. I like them. Seems all the bolt action .22s out there are very plain, or they're junk, or they're very high end and expensive. Those CZs are nice. The ones I've seen around are priced a good bit higher than $225.

Boolit Master

No you got took! But I'll gladly help dull the pain by offering you the $150 it's really worth!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    No you got took! But I'll gladly help dull the pain by offering you the $150 it's really worth!

Boolit Master
    You did good. I've seen folks shoot AAA scores in smallbore hunters rifle silhouette shooting middle of the road ammo. Plenty of accessories out there to make it shoot great.

I have a CZ in 7.62X39 and love it and have been looking for a 22 to accompany it to the range. I would love to pay what you did but will probably have to pay more. Nice

Boolit Man
    I think you will like it, and I think you will keep it. Nice rifle. I like CZ.
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

Boolit Master
    Jeeez man! Did you break the guys arm during the purchase, lol. Taz you got a steal on that one! If a handshake is still a deal I'd have broken his arm then! If you start to get any buyers remorse, give me a shout!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Mine is the Model 2, with the straight comb and steel-bottom magazine. It is stamped 1968, and I bought it in 1970 (for thirty pounds ten shillings and sixpence) so it probably lay in store through the Czech revolt of 1968.

I could still strip the bolt in a second with a blunt pencil, and the trigger which you don't see, modelled on the Winchester Model 70, is one of the best bits. Conetrol supplied bases to use their invisibly split rings, and it is supremely untemperamental for a rimfire about different brands of cartridge. The Walther KKJ, on the same day, would have cost £45, and I doubt if it would have been any better.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think you did remarkably well on the price. If you can still see well enough to use the iron sights; the yardage markings actually coincide with bullet impact, at least mine did.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I think you did remarkably well on the price. If you can still see well enough to use the iron sights; the yardage markings actually coincide with bullet impact, at least mine did.

Robert

With standard/target velocity or high speed?

I got to the range today with a scope on the rifle. I spent a few rounds getting sighted in at 25 yards. I was at an indoor range that is NOT setup for rifle or bench shooting so getting the impact point to the crosshairs was all I could do. I will save the serious work for the benchrest range in the future.
    On a last note, the final five shots(Federal auto-match) I fired went into a raggedy hole about 3/8ths of an inch. It shows promise.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine likes the federal auto match also.

Boolit Buddy
    Great score!
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Great price on a quality wood and steel rifle. When you stretch it out to 50+ yards from the bench after mounting a good scope splurge and try a box of Wolf Match Target.

The main problem with a CZ rifle is it is so nice you will want another. If you want a bunch of enablers visit www.rimfirecentral.com and go the the CZ section. Lots of CZ fans can't constrain themselves over the 527 American soon to be imported in 6.5 Grendel.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    With standard/target velocity or high speed?
    tazman, It was roughly fifteen years ago, plinking in the desert around Fallon, NV; so I am pretty sure I was shooting High Velocity loads, probably from a milk carton. I have long since mounted a scope on it, so I can still use the rifle.

The one thing I am not too wild about is the direction the safety works, it is different enough that I am always conscious (and cautious) about it.

Robert

I got out to the bench rest range today and shot the rifle at 50 and 100 yards.
    These targets were shot at 50 yards. The colored dots measure 3/4".

Name:	resized00003.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	194687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized00004.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	194688Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized00005.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	194689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized00006.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	194690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized00007.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	194691
    These were shot with various brands of match/target ammunition. When there is a bullet away from the rest of the group, it was always the first shot with a new brand of ammo. I consider that it was the gun getting used to a different lube before settling in.
    The Federal auto match didn't do quite as well as these did but was very respectable.
    The following targets were shot at 100 yards with Federal auto match. I wish now I had shot some with the good stuff just to see what it would do but I ran out of time.

Name:	resized00001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	194692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized00002.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	194693
    One is a 5 shot group, the other is a 10 shot group. The triangular hole in the target that appears in the upper right of the 10 shot group is a small tear and not a bullet hole.
    I think I have a shooter on my hands.
    Last edited by tazman; 05-03-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast