RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you size your cast bullets?

Vendor Sponsor

I use Lee and RCBS. Boolits will often grow as they age, I run them through the Lee just before loading to ensure consistency.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

After trying all the systems , methods and means (powder coating hadn't been invented), making a mess , dipping and pan lubing, not happy with rolling in LLA, I just bit the boolit and bought a Lyman 450. One cycle of the handle would size, lubricate and gas check a boolit....fast , neat and clean ! Best money I ever spent and I'm not going to change .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smk SHoe View Post
    I wish I could like the NOE sizer. I have a couple different sizes along with the body. Great equipment and nicely made, Problem is you can't work the ram for a full swing like the lee push thru. Just doesn't seem to be a smooth operation when the ram stops abruptly half way thru
    I agree with you on this. That is one demerit for this design. If he could take some meat out of the bottom of the die, and maybe shorten the pusher, I think that'd do it. My press height is just about right, so I do take better advantage of the leverage that is available. With some technique, I've leaned how to stop ram travel before it clanks to a stop.

What I do like about the NOE bushings is that they are dimensionally correct. I can't say that about the first two Lee dies I tried. It is also convenient that he catalogues the sizes plus or minus. Only $10 to add a sizer.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a mecham lube sizer in the rcbs press for my bullets when I size them. Other wise I simply pan lube and go.

Boolit Master
    I use Corbin bullet reducing dies in loading press, as well as the Lee sizers.

I shoot great volumes of 9mm and 45 ACP. Had my RCBS lubesizer from day one. Bought a Star a few years ago and never looked back.

Boolit Master
    Magma lubesizer the most , but still dip and pan lube a few , also tumble lube a bunch of 38 w c .

Boolit Master

Tumble-lube mostly, shooting as cast, 9mm, 38Spl, 357, 44Mag.

Have the NOE body, and a few bushings to try.

Also messing with a Lyman 45 (George brought it), just starting playing with it. There must be a trick to it, mostly I'm making a mess...

Boolit Master
    Lee sizer and tumble lube works well and cheap ,what's not to like?

Boolit Master

TL some w/Recluse loob, use my old Lachmiller's for GC rifle boolits, one w/NRA, one w/hard loob, the Star for some pistol boolits w/NRA, Lee push-through for some that have been TL'd.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    ...a Lyman 450. One cycle of the handle would size, lubricate and gas check a boolit....fast , neat and clean !
    ^ This, and a Lyman 45. And for the same reasons.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    After trying all the systems , methods and means (powder coating hadn't been invented), making a mess , dipping and pan lubing, not happy with rolling in LLA, I just bit the boolit and bought a Lyman 450. One cycle of the handle would size, lubricate and gas check a boolit....fast , neat and clean ! Best money I ever spent and I'm not going to change .
    Gary
    I'm still considering going this route just for the gascheck and lube in one step for my magnum rounds.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

I use lee push thru sizers. I either pan or tumble lube. I occasional powdercoat.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm still using the Lyman 450 that Grandpa bought in the mid or late 60's. I've added a Midway heated base and use one of the hi-temp lubes. I would love to have a Star or Magma but I have a pretty good investment in H&I dies and top punches.

Boolit Master

I use Lyman 45's. I rarely size bullets, I'd rather get a mold that is correct. I size only when needed to chamber. Mostly rifle shooting, BPCR type or smokeless equal. I gas check seat and lube with the 45. It's a weaker design, but in my not to humble opinion, if you break it trying to size down a bullet of some rock hard alloy is silly
    (read stupid). I pan lube my pistol bullets, Lee Liquid. just sayin

Boolit Master

I don't size everything, some stuff drops perfect. People should be checking as dropped always.

That's why I like pan lube and lee sizers, I can lube and not size, as needed.

Boolit Grand Master

It depends to the volume at any one time, or how much sizing needs to be done. I've tried about everything and not found a convenient single method. The demands on the lube and if a GC is involved, also plays into it. Sometimes there is a Lyman or RCBS lube sizer in use. Then some only need pan lube and a cake cutter.
    At times it's just my mood that is the determining factor. Having choices makes for more enjoyment while doing a mondaine chore.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lyman 450

shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Have 15 or so dies in different diameters in red round cases - Lee Lube Sizer only including attaching gas checks
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I use a Star sizer. For me, the fastest, easiest, least resistance way to size my cast bullets.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast