Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mm molds

Boolit Master

10mm molds

I'm contemplating a Rock Island 1911 in 10mm . And am also thinking of the RCBS 40-180 and 40-200 molds .

Anyone used either or both of these molds in a 1911 10mm ?

And if so good bad or indifferent ?
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Buddy
    Used the magma 180's, the 175 SWC's ( those are nice) and shot allot of the 165 rn , lighter loads less kick still good out to 100 yds if need be...
    200's are heavy on the hand- & I have heard it will destroy frames after allot of shooting-- that was the weak point with the Old Bren 10's and they FBI loads in 200 gr where just too hot
    stick to 165's- 180's and you will be happy
    RCBS makes good stuff - if you like the style bullet the use that mold-
    on paper target the swc was great for good clean holes -
    for steel 165 rn's work great and run smooth

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan B View Post
    Used the magma 180's, the 175 SWC's ( those are nice) and shot allot of the 165 rn , lighter loads less kick still good out to 100 yds if need be...
    200's are heavy on the hand- & I have heard it will destroy frames after allot of shooting-- that was the weak point with the Old Bren 10's and they FBI loads in 200 gr where just too hot
    stick to 165's- 180's and you will be happy
    RCBS makes good stuff - if you like the style bullet the use that mold-
    on paper target the swc was great for good clean holes -
    for steel 165 rn's work great and run smooth
    I'm wanting to kill a deer with the thing if I get it hence my desire for the 200 grainer . Although I suspect inside 40 yards the 180 should do just about as well .

Boolit Master
    I have a RIA full size ultarock and did nice work with the Lee 401-175-TC. I later designed a boolit over at Accurate molds that would give me a .310" meplat at the radius edge and at around around 190 grains. http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=40-190R-D.png

I thought about the RCBS molds however at the cost I went a direction where I could design exactly what I wanted.

Boolit Master

I use the LEE 175gr Truncated Cone and 155gr Semi-Wadcutter molds for my .400 Corbon barreled RIA 1911 (It started as a 45ACP 1911 but I like the 40 caliber bullet option better. I personally prefer the 155gr for range use but the 175 mold does well in my pistol also.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I have both the RCBS molds you asked about. Of the two, the 200 gr. mold shoots the most accurate out of my Witnesses, Delta Elite and S&W Model 610 revolver. With my alloy, my 200 gr. mold drops a 206 gr. bullet. Both bullets are good, though, and you won't go wrong with either of them.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 200 grain bullet WHEN DRIVEN AT NORMA-LEVEL VELOCITIES (1200-1250 FPS) has the potential to damage lighter frames like the 1911A1 and Glocks. Run them at 1100 FPS and all will be well. Winchester Silvertips claim 1290 FPS for their 175 grain bullets, actual chronography through a 5" barrel is more like 1250-1275 FPS; my 4.49" G-20 barrel imparts 1200-1225 FPS. These are the warmest mass-marketed loads generally available--most factory 180 grain loadings claim 1140-1150 FPS, and one Federal loading runs the 180 grainers at 1030 FPS. My recent work with the Hornady 180 HAP HPs shows that from the Glock 20SF 9.2 grains of Blue Dot gives 1000-1025 FPS, and 10.0 x Blue Dot gives 1125-1150 FPS. I might need a slower powder for the STHP duplicator loadings (1225-1250 FPS). Blue Dot run at high pressures has done squirrelly things in the past, looking at AA-7, AA-9, or WC-820 in the future.

The 200 grain bullets do push back harder than the 175-180 IME, assuming similar pressure gradients. Silvertips are my carry loads.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 04-30-2017 at 03:42 AM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    I have a RIA full size ultarock and did nice work with the Lee 401-175-TC. I later designed a boolit over at Accurate molds that would give me a .310" meplat at the radius edge and at around around 190 grains. http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=40-190R-D.png

I thought about the RCBS molds however at the cost I went a direction where I could design exactly what I wanted.
    I was looking at that mold yesterday to run in my RIA 6" ULtra Pro which is a beast.

I assume there are no feeding issues or you would have mentioned it ?

I had a Glock 20 G4 with KKM barrel and started have issues after 500 rounds of full power loads which is why I went to an all steel frame 1911.

The RIA 6" handles the full power loads at 1300plus with 180 grainers much better due to the slide weight, heavy bull barrel and steel construction. I use Longshot and AA # 9 for my 10mm loads.

Back to molds, I start a post on Noe forums for interest in HTC 402-180- WFN with a HP options, but only one person is interested so I may have to go with something from Accurate.
    Last edited by TXCOONDOG; 04-30-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Boolit Master
    I went with an NOE 200gr RG mold, with the hollow point pins its about 180gr. Had good luck with the 180 in my pistols. I wanted the 200gr for subsonic use in a carbine. I can keep the 200gr subsonic out of the 16" barrel of a kel tech Sub2000. 180gr not so much. I messed with various powders and can keep the 180 subsonic, but not reliably cycle the carbine.

Boolit Master
    As always,,, your choices & preferences for the intended uses will prevail. I will say that by far,,, the 180 grn bullet in the 40/100 cal semi's seems to outsell all others by far.

The Glocks have a heavier slide than any 1911, though the STI Perfect 10 comes close, I believe. You will eventually beat up the frame with heavy loads, though it doesn't seem to hurt anything. Also, a new frame is $100 from Glock, so you can almost view it as a consumable. I have thousands, (over 2k, possibly 3K) of 230g @ 1170 10mm loads through a G20, and it is fine. You can see where the slide is beating up the frame, but we are also talking thousands of rounds of +p... Gun has had less than 100 factory powered loads through it.

The RIA 10mm is a neat gun, IMO. Have shot them, and wouldn't mind owning one. I think the OAL will be a bit less, and you will likely not shoot nuclear loads as easily, but still pretty nice.

For critter defense, I would (did) have a custom mold made, or buy larger metplat boolits. Most molds, aside from NOE, are more of a target or plinking design. Good thing though about heavier bullets is that they use less powder, but may require a taller front sight, depending on velocity.

The hot ticket would be the RIA .40, and have it throated to take 10mm OAL. Then you could use cheap brass and ammo interchangeably with the hotter loaded stuff.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any Cal--you are doing things right, for your purposes. I haven't (yet) had to replace any receivers on our several Glocks, but it is good to know that "consumables" are reasonably-priced.

Having rifles, 44 Magnum, and Ruger 45 Colt revolvers available--beating up a 10mm pistol isn't necessary for me. 90% of my shooting will be with 175-180 grain bullets, and 90% of that will get done with Silvertip duplicator loads. I do like to stay sharp and keep a hand in. The Lee 175 grain truncated cone design w/conventional lube groove has been superb in all of the 40 S&W pistols I have run them in. That does not (yet) include Glock barrels, but I see a test sequence occurring soon to assess whether an aftermarket barrel is a good idea for cast bullets in the .4" calibers. Glock 45s handle castings wonderfully, IME. In the past I have used a Storm Lake barrel in a Glock 23 now at my daughter's home in WA, because I was being cautious in view of conventional wisdom. I do like testing the envelope, though--and my sig line explains my views of sacred cows like the gunrag tenet "No lead bullets in polygonal barrels". I guess all those Whitworth rifles in the 19th century made mushroom clouds just like Glocks do. I need to get one of those aroundtuits concerning that question.

Anyone wishing to re-ignite the controversy over lead bullets in Glocks.......MEGO. Let's not.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I know plenty folks that love Glocks . I am not in the group , I just don't like the feel . I cannot say anything negative about them other then they do not feel good in my hand . And im
    sure there are plenty people that will say the same thing about a 1911 or a Sig or a CZ or a Wizbang 629 Super Duper .

Boolit Grand Master
    It took me a few years to take a shine to Glock pistols. Their design is about as aesthetically-pleasing as a slump block, but it is what they do that finally won me over. They are utterly, faithfully reliable with decent ammunition. They have the storied reliability of the SIG-Sauer Classic line at a cost of about 25% less per unit. They have a HUGE pool of factory-trained armorers in the field to give them the small amount of periodic maintenance they require at nominal cost. They just don't break--and the few instances of that occurrence are very reasonably-priced to have repaired.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    It took me a few years to take a shine to Glock pistols. Their design is about as aesthetically-pleasing as a slump block, but it is what they do that finally won me over. They are utterly, faithfully reliable with decent ammunition. They have the storied reliability of the SIG-Sauer Classic line at a cost of about 25% less per unit. They have a HUGE pool of factory-trained armorers in the field to give them the small amount of periodic maintenance they require at nominal cost. They just don't break--and the few instances of that occurrence are very reasonably-priced to have repaired.
    I obviousely like the 1911's but I also have an affection for the SIG 220/226/229's .

Boolit Master

I just ordered a Gen4 G29 yesterday from my FFL. It is replacing my S&W M&P40C as my hiking/fishing/hunting sidearm when in wolf/bear/cougar/tweaker country. The M&P loved the RCBS 180gr boolits with lighter Titegroup loads of 4.7grs.

Attachment 194612

My XDS 40 hates the heavier boolits, though, and even had key-holing occurring with my WSF loads.

I'm hoping the Glock likes the RCBS 180s and will likely go with an RCBS 200gr mold soon.

Attachment 194613

Boolit Grand Master
    For the Glock 29......try out the Pearce magazine baseplates with the extended finger rest. Dramatic difference in feel and controllability, though with the Silvertips on board it is still kinda vigorous.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    For the Glock 29......try out the Pearce magazine baseplates with the extended finger rest. Dramatic difference in feel and controllability, though with the Silvertips on board it is still kinda vigorous.
    Ordered the Pearce grip extension, a holster, and some brass right after I ordered the pistol....

+1 on the base plates. 29 without them are sort of a handful. Not hard to shoot but hard to control well. Still shorter than a 20 in the grip even with the plate on. I have +2 plates on mine, makes an interesting package.

But for 6pt- get the RIA 1911. Seems like a nice package to tinker with. Heavy mainspring and flat bottom firing pin stop, you could be running hotter stuff if you chose. I really would like a Commander size one. Nice and slim, and they come with nice grips and sights. Of course, if you arent running nuke loads you could get one in 38 Super, because...

Boolit Grand Master
    You guys in the USA get to use all of the cool stuff. Here in North Korea/West (CA), a lot of things are deemed evil by Dear Leader and his Politburo in River City. Time to emigrate, for darn sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast