Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pickled pigs feet

Banned
    I grew up in a farm family, my folks went thru the depression and WW2. The only thing that was off limits was spam and mutton for Dad. 4 years in the Pacific theater 1942-46 caused that. We ate everything that was put on the table. Mountain oysters were a delicacy at our house. I spend about 10 weeks a year in mainland China so can do well on the food there which is difficult for most. I believe that most folks aversion to any kind of food is in their head

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    I grew up in a farm family, my folks went thru the depression and WW2. The only thing that was off limits was spam and mutton for Dad. 4 years in the Pacific theater 1942-46 caused that. We ate everything that was put on the table. Mountain oysters were a delicacy at our house. I spend about 10 weeks a year in mainland China so can do well on the food there which is difficult for most. I believe that most folks aversion to any kind of food is in their head
    You a 100% correct ! People say they will not eat face meat , tails , tongue ,spleen , snouts , etc . Worked in a packing house and can say with great certainty you have been enjoying them your whole life ! Hot dogs , chili , lunch meat , soup , sausage , etc , it's all filled with 'less desirable' meat . What's more...you like it ! I saw how they 'make' mechanically separated chicken' and I check every packing house product I buy to make sure it's not an ingredient , even I wouldn't touch that stuff . Do you like chicken nuggets ..............
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Man
    We always used beet juice for color,plus they pickle good too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    You a 100% correct ! People say they will not eat face meat , tails , tongue ,spleen , snouts , etc . Worked in a packing house and can say with great certainty you have been enjoying them your whole life ! Hot dogs , chili , lunch meat , soup , sausage , etc , it's all filled with 'less desirable' meat . What's more...you like it ! I saw how they 'make' mechanically separated chicken' and I check every packing house product I buy to make sure it's not an ingredient , even I wouldn't touch that stuff . Do you like chicken nuggets ..............
    I try not to eat processed foods, but have no problem eating anything. When we would butcher the organ and face meat, brains, and blood was served up for every meal until it was gone

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dead dog View Post
    We always used beet juice for color,plus they pickle good too.
    You know I never considered beet juice . It would work just fine , used it making pickled eggs . Thanks dead dog !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Moderator Emeritus

My mom would make PPF fairly regularly when I was a kid. I have never had a commerical made PPF.

A local grocer made Head cheese, it was the best. ,,the owner and that store are long since gone. He must have had a special recipe ? I have searched and tried many and have never found a head cheese that tasted like his. I suspect he cooked it "old school", and didn't add any gelatin...cuz most of the ones I've tried were much more Gelified than his was.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

He probably cooked down hooves for the natural gelatin, or made super long cooked bone broth that extracts it from the joints. My bone broth cooks for 24-48 hours in the oven on 250, check liquid level every 6 hours to make sure it isn't evaporating, you want the bones covered. Then I reduce it by 3/4. After it cools in the fridge I can dump it out of the pan and cut it in cubes that I lightly dust in corn starch so the don't stick to each other, freeze on a sheet tray not touching, then vac bag. Cut a corner of the bag and grab as many cubes as I need and re vac seal it.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    You know I never considered beet juice . It would work just fine , used it making pickled eggs . Thanks dead dog !
    I may eat pig's feet...but I ain't eatin' nothin' soaked in beet juice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12