Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pickled pigs feet

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Pickled pigs feet

Was at the grocery store this evening on the way home . Checked the meat 'bargain bin' and found 2 packs of split pig feet . Was going to start mowing the yard but it was raining so figured I needed a project . List price on feet was total $11.36 , paid $5.18= GOOD DEAL ! LOL

Wash and scrub the feet , rinse . Put in pot and bring to a boil , be careful they stay covered with water . Bring to a boil and then turn it down till they just simmer (low and slow !) . Takes 2 to three hours (full 3 hours if you use whole feet) . As they simmer brown foam will collect on top (blood) , skim it off with a spoon or ladle .

Test them with a fork for tenderness , don't cook them till they fall apart .

In the mean time .

Boil your jars and lids to sterilize , let them dry naturally . I'm using pickle jars here but I'm figuring the ingredients for a quart jar . (Pickle jars are great for this)

Ingredients ;
    1 clove of garlic
    1/2 heaping teaspoon of pickling spice
    10-12 peppercorns
    1 large bay leaf
    !/2 heaping teaspoon of red pepper flakes (if you want them to have some heat)

Put ingredients in the jar before adding feet .

Making the brine ;
    Figure enough white vinegar to fill jar/jars . for each quart add 1 tablespoon of kosher salt to the vinegar . on these I added 7 drops of red food coloring to make them pink . You need not add coloring if you like em ..natural . Bring to a boil , make sure salt is dissolved .

Packing/brining ;
    Rinse the cooked feet in a colander with cold water (makes em prettier) and pack the jars . Fill with brine and be sure to fully cover the feet . Let cool to lukewarm and seal . Put em in the refrigerator and give em 2 weeks . Then enjoy !

Last edited by Boaz; 04-30-2017 at 04:41 AM.
    No turning back , No turning back !

YuuuK !

I used to see those tender morsels pickled in a jar in the bar when I was a young man...I started sitting on the other end of the bar!

YuuuK !
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I probably haven't eaten a PPF in about 37 years. But, I did like them when I did.

I'm A Honcho!
    We would do feet and ears at Grandmas.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Perma-Banned

I have not had one in 40yrs...but I have eaten many a one...

When we were in high school...every filling station or "convenience" type store had a jar on the counter @ .35¢ each...teenage boys couldn't pass'em up.

Boolit Master

Gifts for ISIS right? Not for human consumption!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Never did the feet, as bars around here only had hocks. Always enjoyed a snack of a hock or two with crackers and a cold draft beer many moons ago.

Boolit Master
    I still get the Pickled Pork Hocks about every couple weeks at a bar when I stop in on my way through. That & the Pickled Turkey Gizzards. Grab a beer, some lousiana hot sauce, salt & pepper & away I go.

I like em.

I pickle other things like regular pickles(cukes) plus I pickle beets too. And occasionally fish.
    Never have done my own pork feet/hocks or gizzards. I may have to try it sometime.

Thanks for showing your system/method.

The pot picture changed when I posted it , lol . The green on top is actually the brown foam . Looks kinda ...bad in the picture .

Boolit Master

They used to be in every bar around here, along with pickled turkey gizzards, pickled eggs, pickled pork hocks.
    The bars around here served pork chops also, they say there is a pork chop in every can of beer.

Boaz, you did a good job with that tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    They used to be in every bar around here, along with pickled turkey gizzards, pickled eggs, pickled pork hocks.
    The bars around here served pork chops also, they say there is a pork chop in every can of beer.

Boaz, you did a good job with that tutorial.
    Thank you sir !

Banned
    great job love them

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    The pot picture changed when I posted it , lol . The green on top is actually the brown foam . Looks kinda ...bad in the picture .
    I didn't take it that way Charlie. Figured it was blood cooking off like you said. Thanks for sharing this.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Good looking pig's feet - those can be GOOD!!! I remember back in'90's when living in Guatemala I had a discussion with a couple of folks there, one an ex-Contra from Nicaragua who thought Ollie North and Regan where the world's biggest heros and a local indian about best food. They felt the pig's ear was best. I mentioned pig feet as my favorite - yea, those are good also they agreed. A VERY serious discussion ensued about best ways to cook them.

My wife and I both prefer ham hocks because they got more meat {g}

Ken H>

Boolit Grand Master

Awesome !
    PPF always remind me of my Mother , born in depression era East Texas she said when they butchered a hog they ate everything but the squeal. When the PPF craving would hit her, I would come home and find a big jar, or two , in the ice box. She never wrote down a recipe but this one looks " right " . She said the store bought PPF just were not prepared correctly and nothing but unflavored vinegar , gristle and bone.
    Thanks for posting ,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by oldscool View Post
    Never did the feet, as bars around here only had hocks. Always enjoyed a snack of a hock or two with crackers and a cold draft beer many moons ago.
    Same recipe works on hocks , ears , tongue , etc . Of course ingredients can be varied according to individual taste . I also like to put one large jalapeno in with seeds (eliminate the red pepper if you do) . Or scoop the seeds out of a jalapeno , no hot but jalapeno flavor . You can tweak em to taste .

Moderator Emeritus

Pass! Same for gizzards! Not a fan of any pickled meat! Pickled herring for me!

Moderator Emeritus

It's been a long time for me, too, but I sure remember them. When I was growing up, and for most of my life, they could be found on most any grocery store's shelves hereabouts. But now, it's rare to find them. Great sounding recipe, Boaz! I just might try it if I can find some feet to do it with. It's amazing how PC has even come to affect what we eat. Used to be, taste was what governed what we ate, plus availability, of course. One thing about really good cooks, is that they can take just about anything that's available, and make you smile when you eat it. Now THAT is true TALENT! And ingenuity to boot!

That looks really great. I remember my grandmother's recipe used apple cider (from the back orchard) vinegar, probably gave it the pink color.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Master
    My father had all of his nuts and bolts ect. stored in glass pickled pigs feet jars in the garage . He ate them all the time. He ate about everything that was offered to him... except for one thing that the guys in his shop brought him once.

One of them brought him a gallon jar full of mountain oysters. They stayed in our fridge until they went bad. He attempted to run them through the garbage disposal - bad mistake - they were very stringy as I recall, and tangled the thing up so bad he had to replace it.

I still remember the smell! Nuts!
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast