WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to me Charter Arms Undercover

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

New to me Charter Arms Undercover

I've always been a fan of Charter Arms revolvers and have had a few of them over the years. Apparently a lot of other people do too as prices on them both new and used have crept up a lot over the years. Was cruising Gunbroker and found this Undercover .38 for only $125.00. It looks to be in good shape other than a little surface rust on the frame so I went ahead and bought it. An extra snub is always good to have!

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/641507936
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Found this one at a local gun shop cheap! Granted, it took me four CAs before I got one that was timed well and locked up and didn't have that cylinder wobble. But I like the one I got.

Have shot about 100 rounds out of it. Had to clean it around every 50 rounds to keep it smooth. SA trigger is light! Very accurate. It's my pocket pistol until the SW 642 comes out of layaway.

It's not perfect, but for $175 I can't complain.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

Looks right for the condition. I would've bought it.
    The free shipping offsets the ffl transfer fee so it'd be a pretty good buy.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

I've got to pick up a 38spl. I have hundreds of pieces of 38 brass and it gets shot in one or the other of my 357s Not all bad, but it would be nice to have a gun that fit my brass. lol I'd say you got a bargain. Gp

All the Charters I've had seemed to function at least as well as my Rugers and S&W's, save for one that was a basket case when I got it. I sold them plus a bunch of other guns a few years ago to pay off debts. I still have some grips and small parts for them in my gun junkyard.

Lefty, that is a really nice Undercover you have there. If you ever want to let it go give me a holler.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    All the Charters I've had seemed to function at least as well as my Rugers and S&W's, save for one that was a basket case when I got it. I sold them plus a bunch of other guns a few years ago to pay off debts. I still have some grips and small parts for them in my gun junkyard.

Lefty, that is a really nice Undercover you have there. If you ever want to let it go give me a holler.
    I will, but it's starting to grow on me! Ordered some Faux Stag grips to replace the bulky stocks with it came with.

Funny, I have a $750 snub on my hip and a $175 one in my pocket!!!! LOL

BTW, ever heard of a Taurus 405? Five shot 40SW.

Lefty

I think a Glock 27 is hard to shoot, can't imagine what that 405 would be like! Heck I don't even enjoy shooting my Glock 22 with factory ammo.

Boolit Master

I think a Glock 27 is hard to shoot, can't imagine what that 405 would be like! Heck I don't even enjoy shooting my Glock 22 with factory ammo.
    True! One reason I haven't gotten it. All the reviews I heard about it was summed up with, "ouch!"

Lefty

Boolit Master

Grips came today! Looks like it came out of the '30s!

I'm thinking it could use a T Grip or Pachmayer Adapter to fill in for a more comfortable grip while shooting.

Lefty

Sweet! Those grips really give it a classy look.

Boolit Grand Master
    For a 175 dollar revolver that Charter looks pretty clean. No ring scratch either.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    For a 175 dollar revolver that Charter looks pretty clean. No ring scratch either.
    Nope! I think it was shot five times by the previous owner. The gun shop owner shot it ten times. I have put about 100 rounds through it. The finish is nitrite something other. Holding up very well.

Is it as smooth as a SW or Ruger? Nope, but I can't tell any stacking of the trigger and it's constant. It's got one of the best SA triggers o have used on a snubbie. I'm really happy with it. Will shot it now and then. I have more durable snubbies to use at the range, and let's be honest, they all shoot about the same. Just some have a few more refinements than others.

Lefty

The seller contacted me and said he noticed the cylinder release on the revolver wasn't working properly. He ordered the part and will have his gunsmith install it. He will then refund the shipping when the revolver ships. Good service, I have to give them props! Majestic Jewelry and Loan in Fresno, CA. Gunbroker username Pawnmania.

Boolit Master

The seller contacted me and said he noticed the cylinder release on the revolver wasn't working properly. He ordered the part and will have his gunsmith install it. He will then refund the shipping when the revolver ships. Good service, I have to give them props! Majestic Jewelry and Loan in Fresno, CA. Gunbroker username Pawnmania.
    Awesome! Although Charter Arms would more than likely fix it too.

Lefty

Boolit Master

I fitted the BK Grip Adapter on the UC today. Not completely done, needs minor shaping, but holds good for now. REALLY helps with gripping and shooting with the faux stag grips.

All in all, it's a very functional pistol. I have no regrets and it's found a home in my pocket!

Lefty

Last edited by Lefty Red; 05-09-2017 at 06:35 AM.

Boolit Master
    Keep us posted on reliablity i always wanted one in 44sp yours looks sweet!

Bought 1 for the misses several years ago @ a gunshow, she wanted something small/light for ccw. It's been a very impressive revolver for the $$$ ($150). It shoots to the point of aim with these 158gr/950fps loads @ 7 to 10yds.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Awhile back I was pressed for time and did a test with p+ loads using 10 different hp's & 5 different powders. Loaded 10 rounds of each test load & went to the range with targets/chronograph/ca undercover & tested the 500 test rounds I made. 500 rounds of p+ ammo was pretty brutal with that light weight revolver. At the end of the day the ca undercover was still running strong, myself on the other hand. Not so much.

Whatever load you plan on using you should do some testing, snubnosed revolvers/ammo combo's are a real eye opener.

Yes, indeed they are. I've settled on 3.1 grains Bullseye/Lyman 35891 as my standard snub load. It clocks 712 fps out of my S&W 637 and is very accurate and easy to shoot. Hopefully the Undercover will like it too.

Boolit Master

If you have those stock factory rubber grips on yours like mine had, they handle the recoil very well! I have some DEWCs pushing +p velocities that my UC Handed very well. In fact all the loads handled well in it.

Now the slim grips, well it's doable.

Lefty

I don't know why Charter keeps shipping the Undercover with those giant grips. Surely they are aware that most people buy them for concealed carry? The old wooden Bulldog grip was an excellent compromise between comfort and concealment, I have a pair somewhere. They fetch surprisingly high prices on Fleabay.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast