RepackboxLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smokers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
    You definitely know your smoke then!
    I have never owned, or used a 'pellet pooper', but thought that the Traeger would be my first choice. I almost bought one, but got a 22.5 WSM instead.
    That being said, it seems like the owners of the "Rec Tec" and "Grilla Grills" are happier since they got rid of their Traeger and "moved on".
    I'd love to hear some chat about the units from folks with experience.
    What ya want to know? I had a Traeger for several years. Gave it to a buddy when I moved to Texas. Second day here I ordered my Rec-Tec.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Nothing in particular, just curious of the thought of folks that have a pellet cooker. Building a stick burner is on my short term "bucket list", so I'm not in the market for a pellet unit. That being said, I am intrigued by them. I like the idea of "set and forget", but the lack of "romance" of stoking the fire with wood is drawing me the other way. If I were a richer man, I'd have a huge back patio with one of every kind of cooker there is!

Boolit Master

My biggest problem with my Traeger was if it went out it would not relight. Also even though I had the upgraded control panel it didn't seem to hold temp as well as my Rec-Tec does.

Another problem with the Traeger was if you were doing a long smoke the pellets in the hopper could and would tunnel and quit feeding pellets even though there were pellets in the hopper. With the Rec-Tec the sides of the hopper at are a better angle and it's never tunneled on me. My Rec-Tec holds 40 lbs of pellets, the Traeger held 20. The RT has a cool down feature that's really neat because it will burn out the pellets in the firebox and not allow ash to build up as bad.

I've had to call Rec-Tec twice about my grill. Both times on a weekend outside of normal business hours. Both times the phone was answered by the VP of the company who promptly took care of the problem.

The first problem was a stuck fan right after I got my unit. He told me to crawl under there and tap the blades with a screwdriver. Told me that fixes it 99% of the time but to make sure he'd send a new fan out first thing on Monday. He told me that if the screwdriver fixed the problem to just keep the other fan as a spare.

A couple years later the hot-rod went out. That's the item that ignites the pellets. Called, new rod on the way. I got the new rod and when trying to install it there was a Allen head bolt that the head broke off. Called them, got the VP again, he told me they had changed the design and gotten rid of the Allen head. He sent out a new hot-pot with a return label for the old one.

Mind you my Traeger was from when they were still built in Oregon and the build quality was a lot higher then. Still a solid grill but there's better turd burners out there at better prices. I noticed Walmart had some brand the other day that was under $250. I didn't bother to look at it but I'd guess it would work.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

"Turd burners" haha!!
    That's a new one. I'm still giggling about that one.
    Good information, thank you. I've come to realize that Traeger isn't everything I thought they were. Glad I didn't buy one.
    The Rec Tec customer service sounds about like Webers does. They bend over backwards in every case I've heard. Never talked to the VP though, that's pretty cool.

Boolit Master
    "Turd burners" haha!!
    That's a new one. I'm still giggling about that one.
    Good information, thank you. I've come to realize that Traeger isn't everything I thought they were. Glad I didn't buy one.
    The Rec Tec customer service sounds about like Webers does. They bend over backwards in every case I've heard. Never talked to the VP though, that's pretty cool.
    If one can afford these https://www.makgrills.com/ they are what I would suggest. I have inspected the Traeger and been disappointed buy their quality and used the Mak and been delighted by the quality. My understanding is Mak is now selling direct to customers over he web only. A Mak is completely able to produce BBQ equally as good as the best commercial BBQ if the cook has the skill. If one calls Mak to talk about it Bruce is the guy to speak to.

I agree with these https://www.makgrills.com/testimonials/ .

Boolit Master
    I'm wondering if the ideal pellet smoker might be a kamado type smoker (think Big Green Egg) with a pellet bin and auger feeding it.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

That's a good idea!
    I'm thinking that it would take a considerable amount of time to get all that mass up to temp using pellets, but it would be great for long cooks, like overnight briskets.

On the other hand, I may have gotten carried away and taken the focus off the main goal of this thread, to find the OP a smoker.
    If I have, I sincerely apologize. This is a topic I'm passionate about and made the thread my own. Sorry about that.
    Bob

Boolit Master
    Kamado/pellet smoker already exists. Called a "Black Olive Smoker". Apparently has a problem with the pellet smoker burner fan blowing ashes up and onto the food.

OP is looking for a Traeger "set it and forget it" type and quality smoker for <$500.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

I have one of the last batch of USA made Traegers,but I ordered mine with an aftermarket control panel that lets me control temps better(that is the problem with the original Traeger, algorithm in the controller sucks). But it just doesn't give the flavor a stick burner can give, and the smoke ring is never as deep as I could get burning oak logs.Only thing I have replaced on my Traeger in 8 years i the hot rod this spring. It is due for anew grease tray(mine is warped and rusting) and there is an aftermarket stainless one to replace the cold rolled steel that is original. Think the same company now has a flame deflector to let you do a couple steaks over a wood flame without the grease pan in place.

Boolit Master

I'd love a Mak. I had to settle for a Rec-Tec
    Semper Fi!

Boolit Master
    Owned about 6 smokers in the last 40 years, including one of the Masterbuilts which was a total piece of .......... About 3 years ago I bought the last smoker I will ever need:
    https://www.smokin-it.com/
    Buy once cry once. 6 ounces of wood chips will give 5 hours of smoker. It is insulated and maintains a very stable even temperature.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    I recall seeing a Youtube video of how to set this up as a smoker. https://woodpelletproducts.com/produ...-pellet-grill/ . Made by a fellow named Tyson Traeger who takes pride in his US made product.

If money was overflowing this would be very nice to use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag0sM8dIsHg
    Last edited by PB234; 05-13-2017 at 11:33 AM.

I'm pretty sure Traegers are not made in the U.S.
    I just checked their website for verification, and can't find where it says either way, which I would take as "not" made in the U.S.

the best smoker you can get is one you make your self .I have made and sold a lot of smokers/grills over the last 14 years if you would like I will PM you with all the details on how to make one that will last you so fare mine is 14 years old. there is a trick to keeping your smoker in one piece / with out rusting the bottom out which most people do . the trick is simple KEEP THE OLD ASHES CLEANED OUT AFTER USE reason is water and ash makes a acid that will eat the bottom out of your smoker or grill. D Crockett

Amen to that!
    I've got an 80 gallon water heater I'm going to use as the cooker, and a 40 gallon I'll cut up and use as the firebox.
    All I need is the time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by D Crockett View Post
    the best smoker you can get is one you make your self .I have made and sold a lot of smokers/grills over the last 14 years if you would like I will PM you with all the details on how to make one that will last you so fare mine is 14 years old. there is a trick to keeping your smoker in one piece / with out rusting the bottom out which most people do . the trick is simple KEEP THE OLD ASHES CLEANED OUT AFTER USE reason is water and ash makes a acid that will eat the bottom out of your smoker or grill. D Crockett
    Id be interested in any info

Moderator Emeritus

They were US made up until about 8-9 years ago...

I'm pretty sure Traegers are not made in the U.S.
    I just checked their website for verification, and can't find where it says either way, which I would take as "not" made in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    They were US made up until about 8-9 years ago...
    That sounds correct based on what I've heard.
    Since they went "cheap", the gauge of steel got thinner, various parts got cheaper (electronics).
    So... if you can find an old U.S. made Traeger, you got something. A new one is just another piece of thin cheap junk from China.

Boolit Master
    I ended up with my dad's electric Brinkman and it does OK except in very cold weather. I also have one of those simple Luhr Jensen Lirtle Chief cold smokers and I use it quite a bit. I smoke stuff then finish cook it on the regular gas grill or even inside in the oven. Seems to work fine.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Moderator Emeritus

Yup my Traeger was one of the last US made models. But I went to an aftermarket control panel that has better temp range and holds temps more even.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast