Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smokers

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Don't know how much they are nowadays, but bought a "Cookshack" small smoker about 17 years ago, not a bit of trouble with it ever.
    I bought my Cookshack smokette at the Shot Show in Atlanta, if that tells you how long ago I got it. Well over 25 years ago and I guess I have sold about three dozen off my back deck to dinner guests at my house. You can call them in Ponca City , OK if I remember right, and just go to see a dealer. It is amazing how well they work and how long they last. My deck overlooks a salt water bayou by the way.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Quote Originally Posted by Rick N Bama View Post
    MB makes a cold smoker attachment. I can't say for myself how good it works, but I have read some good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-2...ker+attachment
    I've got that unit for my electric Masterbuilt. The smoker (and attachment) have been going strong for about 3 years now. Anymore, I use the attachment to make smoke instead of the little tray in the smoker. I haven't done a ton of cold smoking, but some salmon I did last year turned out great. I fully recommend the attachment. I'm also using a wireless dual probe thermometer I picked up on fleabay. I'm pretty satisfied with my set-up. Maybe when I have more time to dedicate to it, I'll go hardcore and do charcoal. For now, electric works perfectly well for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I have a Masterbuilt that works fine except for cold smoke with fish or bacon. Turn heat down and the wood does not get hot. I can not cold smoke with it. It is only good to cook and smoke.
    Dad told me up in Canuckistan the locals cold smoke fish and do it with a very long section of horizontal pipe so the smoke gets cold before it hits the smoking chamber.

Moderator Emeritus

Weber Smokey Mountain, Traeger, 55 gallon food grade barrel, some weber racks and make an ugly drum smoker... need more info...

For the simplicity and easy of use I love my little brinkman smoke n grill just plug it in and go , made a 6x8x2 SS box with lid to put my wood chunks in a small piece of rough cut hard wood will last 60-90 min maintains temp pretty well . Don't do high volume cooking so it works well for me , like I stated plug it in and that's it no controls or vents just add meat and wood when and if you need more .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I've had a Big Green Egg for about 11 years and I like it.
    I've been through many others and this one just suits my needs. I don't really know what could wear out about it, so it'll probably last me a lifetime. The hinge springs and all metal hardware still look like new, even though it's just out under a 12x18 tin shed with no walls.
    I don't know if it's in your price range...... it was a gift, so I'm not sure of the actual price.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Moderator Emeritus

The large egg is wayyyy over $500! They sure are sweet though for a charcoal cooker. Can smoke at 225 or grill at 800...

Boolit Master
    I don't think you can buy anything that is going to last and give predictable results for less than about $800. Traeger pellet smoker is $800 at Costco and is about as "set it and forget it" as you can get.
    I enjoy babysitting the smoker and use an "offset smoker". Been smoking meats and vegetables for about 10 years. My pork shoulders, ribs, tri-tips and briskets are proof that I take it pretty serious. I think my next smoker will end up being one of these...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB0pFb_Hb1Y
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

As a former Traeger owner all I can say is buy a Rec-Tec. Much better grill with a better electronics package.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Perma-Banned

I have the same one that Jon B has. It works great as long as your outside temp's don't drop to low (aka smoking in 20 degree temps) I want to check out the yoder smokers they have really good reviews for pellet system smokers.

Boolit Master

Wow, electronics and slow smoking.....what happens when the power goes out? Same thing as when the battery in my red dot dies...guess I'm officially an old codger.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Wow, electronics and slow smoking.....what happens when the power goes out? Same thing as when the battery in my red dot dies...guess I'm officially an old codger.
    I'm still using a stick burner, but laugh all you want at electronics, they work! I have one of these,
    http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...3-adType%5EPLA I can monitor pit temp and three foods at one time without cracking the lid and loosing pit temperature. I've smoked brisket, ribs and a pork butt at the same time, watching temps I knew when to add the faster cooking meats and where the others were at all at once. It also allows me to keep my pit within ten degrees of where I want it without much fuss.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    I'm still using a stick burner, but laugh all you want at electronics, they work! I have one of these,
    http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...3-adType%5EPLA I can monitor pit temp and three foods at one time without cracking the lid and loosing pit temperature. I've smoked brisket, ribs and a pork butt at the same time, watching temps I knew when to add the faster cooking meats and where the others were at all at once. It also allows me to keep my pit within ten degrees of where I want it without much fuss.

I see the unit is $99 and comes with 2 probes. Do you know how much the extra probes are?

Boolit Grand Master

We always repurposed the old refridgerators, steel school lockers and such for smokers when I was young. Though several of the older farm houses still had buildings for smoking. Now some are going back to smoking in a small brick building made especially for the purpose. Most are 6' or so tall and 4'X4' inside dimension with a roof and vents at the top. First grate up is the fire grate, second is for the moisture pan. then racks or hooks for meat on up. A solid door and its pretty open to load and unload.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    We always repurposed the old refridgerators, steel school lockers and such for smokers when I was young. Though several of the older farm houses still had buildings for smoking. Now some are going back to smoking in a small brick building made especially for the purpose. Most are 6' or so tall and 4'X4' inside dimension with a roof and vents at the top. First grate up is the fire grate, second is for the moisture pan. then racks or hooks for meat on up. A solid door and its pretty open to load and unload.
    I'm still considering building a dedicated smoke room....would make fire management much easier with a larger volume of air to keep temps stable.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    I see the unit is $99 and comes with 2 probes. Do you know how much the extra probes are?
    Normally $25 each. You can get different probes, pit and food, then configure them as you choose.

Boolit Master
    Nothin' wrong with electronics, as long as the grill or smoker isn't dependent on electricity to cook your food.

Academy, which I think is in San Antonio, TX, also has a fairly nice (for the money) offset smoker called an "Old Country Brazos".
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Nothin' wrong with electronics, as long as the grill or smoker isn't dependent on electricity to cook your food.

Academy, which I think is in San Antonio, TX, also has a fairly nice (for the money) offset smoker called an "Old Country Brazos".
    Those appear to be the "New Braunfels" smoker design from before they sold out to commercial interests. The material is thicker and the whole smoker feels much sturdier. I have my eye on one of them if I don't build a new one for the next house. It's hard to justify the price tag for these smokers right now, it's a fad thing in Houston and they are commanding a premium.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I like the build of those old countries as well. Not crazy about the firebox deflector or the grates they use, but that's nitpicking.
    As for the electronics, after doing an 18hr smoke on a medium size brisket, just couldn't get it past the stall and I like a 208 IT on them, I can truely appreciate setting it, going to bed, have it cook then hold at a preset temp waiting for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Ive been thinking about it for a couple years now. Instead of the converted barbeque grill I'm using now. They work best with only one set of hands controlling them. Even the size I described can hold a lot of meat if needed. Also in your smokers don't hesitate to try some vegtables, Squash, corn on the cob, tomato slices, and some others. We cut acorn squash in half clean seeds and fill hollows with hamburger. then cook smoke till squash and meat are done.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast