RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Can You Help an Old Guy Out?

Boolit Master

Can You Help an Old Guy Out?

I've been reading a ton of posts till my head spins... I am considering trying either powder or Hi-Tek coating( I currently lube-size everything I cast for centerfire). I will be primarily coating for rifle, but will also do home pistol as well. I would like to hear from others that have tried both methods, not just one. I am looking for a method that :
    Is the most consistent, reproduces similar results repeatedly
    Provides coverage with the least amount of rejects
    Provides best bore protection(no leading)
    Less subject to environmental affects of heat/humidity

Again I would like to hear from folks that have given both methods a "fair shake" (pun intended). As I understand it, I will need an oven in either case and a way of controlling time and temperature. I'm thinking I could use the PID that I use on my melting pot..with a toaster oven. It looks like there is a whole list of things folks are using like wire racks, baskets, bowls, mats, bricks, etc.... sounds like a large selection of solutions/options available.

Thanks to all the veterans of the methods for your thoughts, they are greatly appreciated,

Kindest regards,

TheMoose
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Buddy

Hitek is what I use , haven't tried PC it seams to be more of a hassle than the other , But to each his own
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master

I use both. Both work quite well.

For PC I stand my boolits up. That takes time. But I have nothing but time.

For Hi-Tek I just dump in baskets and bake.

PC takes one coat. Hi-Tek takes two. But, because I stand my PC boolits up, Hi-Tek is quicker.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master
    I just PC but don't stand up works for me, shake , dump, bake, dump in bucket, size, simple. Don't over think it keep it fun. Oh use good powder like Smokes or Randy's makes life much easier.
    Frank G.

Almost impossible to mess up ESPC. Shake & bake may be 'temperamental' for you. Same with HiTek. Only a few have reported HV rifle success with HiTek, many more with PC. I'd go straight to smokes powder (HF red is lower quality but cheap - I still have a # or 2 left - works fine) and get the 1035 series gold or IIRC, gun metal for HiTek. The powdered HiTek isn't much more $ and works great/fast for pistol. HF gun works but I'd get the other one for a few $ more. Of course a compressor is needed for ESPC but that's only $100 or so, regulator is another $20 or so. Haven't tried shake & bake with HiTek yet but ESPC with the powder works fine (one bake). Powder loss from over spray makes that too expensive. Alloy & fit have to be right for either system. Either system will give you AC hardness unless you WD after the last bake. I do both (HiTek pistol/ESPC rifle) but use BLL recently as I'm testing alloys. Bottom line, HiTek is better suited for hi volume coating.
    Whatever!

Boolit Man
    I have used both and now use powder coat. I found the powder coat less temperamental in my loading techniques with no leading. Hi-Tek still requires attention to proper bullet fit just as lubed bullets do. I found I could get away with less attention to bullet fit, since i use them in multiple guns, with the powder coat. Basically it came down to I didn't need to size different bullets for different guns, one size fit all with no leading using powder coat. I had great success with Hi-Tek in my revolvers but a more difficult time in my autos especial the 9mm, this led me to just go with powder coat. I picked up an inexpensive ESCP gun and haven't looked back. If you can get Hi-Tek to work it is a great product but for me it was a long learning curve. Powder coat was a shake, bake, size, and shoot with a minimal learning curve.

Landers

From today, 308W 165gr GC ESPC 2400 fps from LR308 carbine. Really humid and windy so I didn't try 100. I can't do this with HiTek, unfortunately. Shot another group at another target unfortunately I got practice with a moving target, which finally blew off the backer. 3 touching and all in the 9 ring anyway. 30/30 was a soft alloy with BLL and ~1600 fps. Bo was terrible, needs a harder alloy as I got bad leading. I do believe I'm seeing a dirty bore after many shots with the HF red. 1st shot was high right, next 4 were in the white, rest were left. Alloy is right, need to change to Smoke's gloss black. Haven't shot the carbine in a year, or cleaned it.
    Attachment 194304
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I use Pc for pistol only (volume Loading) Because I find sizing is to important , as I weight cases /powders/and boolits for accuracy for rifle . Some of my -30s like 310 and others .311 / my sav mod 10 likes 310 so I lube/ size them . Proper fit =no leading ! I have not got accuracy with P.C. for my rifles but maybe you will .

Banned

I'm sticking to naked lead for the majority of my shooting.
    the Powder coat has it's place and can be quite helpful in some situations.
    the oven is still useful for heat treating boolits either way.
    I like having options to problems when they present themselves.

Good luck with trying to get a clear answer , as with everything there are pros and cons. Hi-Tek can be problematical as velocities increase, just depends how fast you're trying to push it, best thing is to look at the Hi-Tek thread where some have been posting their results. For pistol it's excellent, simple to use and probably the best for high volume production. Most use two coats, but some have shown it's fine with just one coat. PC generally gives a nicer looking finish (if that's important to you) but when I asked my guns they said they don't care what it looks like as long as it works!

Boolit Master
    Where are you located? Maybe someone that has tried one or the other is close by that could help.

My walmart oven is about 400 degree's when gauge is set at 425. 30$ for the oven. Set for 20 minutes and leave it alone. All pass the smash test. Little bit of smokes powder, a roll of NSF, few airsoft BB's and a butter container. PC doesn't have to be a big $$$ suck to start with. ( that happens later)

Banned
    I would strongly recommend getting a convection oven. It will heat whatever you put in it more evenly and you can do larger volumes.
    The Commercial casters I've seen use Hi-Tek (I have yet to seen one that powder coats), ounce you have the Hi-Tek system down (it's just a matter or weighing and timing correctly) Hi-Tek has metallic (more heat resistant) and non metallic coatings. Hi-Tek was developed over 20 years ago in Australia and is use extensively in competition hand-gun shooting. It is relatively new in America The Australians got there rifles taken away from them by the government many years ago so there is not a lot of information / history of Hi-Tek with rifles.
    I would contact the vendors: Donnie Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings Smoke Smoke4320

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    I use both. Both work quite well.

For PC I stand my boolits up. That takes time. But I have nothing but time.

For Hi-Tek I just dump in baskets and bake.

PC takes one coat. Hi-Tek takes two. But, because I stand my PC boolits up, Hi-Tek is quicker.
    ^^^ Same as he said. I coat and shoot 9mm, 38spl, 45acp and 300 Blackout...subs and supers. Both processes work great. Benefit to the PC is there are more colors. I have a couple female friends that like pink bullets. Benefit to the Hi-Tek is the speed. I don't stand them up to cook like I do the PC. Hi-Tek is definitely faster and easier IMO.
    "A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"