RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Magtech 410 brass in a 45/410 Encore or Contender.

Boolit Master

Magtech 410 brass in a 45/410 Encore or Contender.

How do these work do they fireform to the larger chamber? Just wondering as the Russian steel cases did. I found a new box of the 2 1/2 brass cases at a gun show today for 10 dollars. 😁
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

No one has used these?
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Buddy

Can't help with the Magtech or Contender but 444 Marlin fire form perfect in my old Iver Johnson. C.E. Harris has a great article on 410 ,I'll see if I can remember which thumb drive I put it on .
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

I have stayed away from the .45/.410 as it is neither fish nor fowl.

The long chamber means you can not set .45 bullets next to the rifling. And in no case have I seen one of these getting good accuracy from .45's. The rifling results in .410 shot loads working at close range only, most likely in a donut shape, with a hole in the center. So unless the distance is just right your pattern is going to suffer as a result.

So neither fish nor fowl, nor good red meat. It is a compromise.

They have their place, that being from what I have seen and read being loaded with fairly large shot used at close range. Like some of the specialized .410 self defense loads. 3 flattened buckshot stacked vertically. Those would ruin someones day.

But in my opinion, better to get either a .45 with just a .45 chamber, and learn what it wants to shoot accurately. Or get just a .410 with a smooth bore, that will pattern better at a wider variety of ranges.

But I will admit that I have not bought one. And the more I looked into buying one, the less I liked what I saw. I almost jumped on the Tarus Revolving carbine. But decided against it.

I really wish the Federal Government would get OUT of messing around with our guns. Deciding we do not have the right to a cut down or sawed off shotgun.

A pistol grip stock on my Rem 870 20 ga pump with a short Imp Cyl bore, and a handgrip on the pump would be IMO a pretty mean little shooter.

That is my opinion, YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKEYE BANDIT View Post
    Can't help with the Magtech or Contender but 444 Marlin fire form perfect in my old Iver Johnson. C.E. Harris has a great article on 410 ,I'll see if I can remember which thumb drive I put it on .
    Here ya go!
    http://www.grantcunningham.com/2014/...10-shotshells/
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Master

GhostHawk the Contenders and Encores with the straight grooved choke inserts eliminates the shot pattern from spinning before it exits the barrel. I hunt grouse and small game out to 25 yards. 20 is better. I have been using this for quite a few years now. I have an TC Encore with a 12 inch barrel. I bought a H&R single shot full choke several years ago. It is going to a relative. My Encore shoots as good patterns and is handier.

Boolit Master

I have read that article. Thanks for posting.

Boolit Master
    I've been loading brass for my judge and yes they fireform to a slightly necked case, The base swells a little then it used to stay trapped inside the chambers till I home honed each of them.

I'm now cutting some at 45 Colt to use round balls, because from time to time they stick to the chamber at normal length and I realized resizing them after every shot would make them last a lot less. At 45 lentgh they just drop alone when I open the cylinder. My problem must be a rough step in the chambers.

Boolit Bub
    The cause there is the lip in the chambers to prevent (in your case) 454 Casul from being accidentally loaded. Mine is a Raging Judge, so the lip is deeper to prevent 480 (?) from getting in there. I thought about removing it but would sure not like to be holding onto one if that bomb ever went off! Resizing every time is the only answer for me.

Boolit Master
    the 444 brass works good in the judge if you dont have one then you cant say how it shoots . I would NOT want to be on the receiving end at 30yrs with 4 shot.
    45 lead non sized . with or with out a gas check will stay in 10in at 25yd. a 410 slug shell will hold where you can
    I have a 3in with a 4in barrel. 3 in shot shells are a hand full. but will take a tree rat from any tree that i have been under.
    as for the rifling spinning a shot cup????? come on

Boolit Master

I shoot out to 25 yards with my Encore. A judge is not going to pattern at that range. And it shouldn't it wasn't designed for hunting it was designed as a short range defense gun.

Boolit Master
    Rifling will spin a shot cup.

And spinning shot WILL produce a doughnut shaped pattern too.

.45/.410 has its place, it is just not a tool that I forsee a need for.

Boolit Mold
    I have a "Raging Judge" for SNAKES.. period. My place in rural Colorado has 'em, and after an incident with a 5' long, 2" diameter Diamondback rattler who "almost" got me in the pasture, I got a "hand cannon" - yes, it's WORTHLESS for home defense, and it's WORTHLESS for the .45 LC (.454 Casull, these daze), but for what I got it for - it works swell with No. 9 shot in 3" shells. Wish somebody made a "Lee Loader" type tool for redoin' 'em.

Electric you can make one sir if you are only moderately handy.

I made a set for reloading 20 ga brass hulls.

Depriming block is wood drilled out to have room for the primer to fall. Alum or steel or high density plastic would also work.

Find a dowel that just fits in the hulls for seating wads.

Depriming pin can be as simple as ordering 3 from lee for their depriming die. They are cheap, work well, last a long long time. Or a finishing nail set into a wooden dowel. Round the end down a touch.

Hardest part will be doing crimp. BPI sells crimp starters in all calibers.
    But I wonder if your best bet would not be to simply buy a decent roll crimper. That and an overshot card punched out of plastic milk jug would probably do you.

Add a powder dipper or 2, a shot dipper, put the whole works in a small plastic box with a lid.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Apple Juice View Post
    I have a "Raging Judge" for SNAKES.. period. My place in rural Colorado has 'em, and after an incident with a 5' long, 2" diameter Diamondback rattler who "almost" got me in the pasture, I got a "hand cannon" - yes, it's WORTHLESS for home defense, and it's WORTHLESS for the .45 LC (.454 Casull, these daze), but for what I got it for - it works swell with No. 9 shot in 3" shells. Wish somebody made a "Lee Loader" type tool for redoin' 'em.
    Sir, you can make your own lee loader kit.

check this: http://m.beforeitsnews.com/self-suff...t-2463934.html

You can use the same principle to build any gauge reloading kit...
    For plastic I use a 3/8 punch and a 7/16 punch for brass (wad cutter from cardboard, notebook covers etc). Also you can cut some 40sw brass and put in the drill chuck and cut wads with this for plastic or a .45 case for brass.