Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Considering a revolver for my mother (and dad)

Banned
    The S&W 442/642 is a great concealed carry gun but it would be a poor choice for primary home defense weapon. There's no need for the super small grips and short barrel in a home defense situation where the gun doesn't need to be concealed. The DAO, internal hammer is outstanding for concealed carry but wouldn't be ideal for an elderly person.

Blackwater makes a very convincing argument for a 20 ga, side by side.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    . . .Depending on the design, I might go with a pump gun over a semi-auto because I don't like the idea of storage with a loaded chamber and some semi-autos have a more complex manual of arms for that first round if the chamber is empty. . .
    I would probably NOT recommend a Benelli due to the soewhat more complex trigger/feed system, but aside from that, I'd probably suggest pulling the trigger on a VERIFIED! empty chamber, leaving the safety off, and loading the magazine to capacity. From there, it's a simple matter of running the charging handle once and going to work.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

........mm
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 12:42 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Buddy

Lots of good advice here and all helpful. Something to think about, I do NOT like a hammer on a defense revolver. Friend of mine some years ago(not a gun gal) thought she heard a noise at zero dark thirty, got her borrowed revolver out and cocked it. Noise went away, and she was left holding a cocked K frame with a very light trigger pull. She struggled with it and at last got it uncocked. This is not a situation you want your loved ones to face. Also I have taught NRA shooting classes, and I have met several folks (men and women) who could not handle the DA pull. As far as caliber goes , anything that is shootable for the user is good. In my opinion, even the lowly .22 rf. (I know , most trainers and the NRA say "no .22's"), but, no one wants to get shot, and once the shooting starts, most ner do wells remember a pressing need to be elsewhere.
    FWIW
    John

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I would probably NOT recommend a Benelli due to the soewhat more complex trigger/feed system, but aside from that, I'd probably suggest pulling the trigger on a VERIFIED! empty chamber, leaving the safety off, and loading the magazine to capacity. From there, it's a simple matter of running the charging handle once and going to work.
    /\ Agreed, and the same empty chamber and un-locked action method works for a pump action. The user simply picks up the gun, cycles the action to load the first shell in the chamber and you're ready to shoot. No fumbling for the action release or need to disengage a safety. No fine motor skills needed under stress.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The S&W 442/642 is a great concealed carry gun but it would be a poor choice for primary home defense weapon. There's no need for the super small grips and short barrel in a home defense situation where the gun doesn't need to be concealed. The DAO, internal hammer is outstanding for concealed carry but wouldn't be ideal for an elderly person.

Blackwater makes a very convincing argument for a 20 ga, side by side.
    Since none of us know the parents except the OP it is hard to say exactly what is best for them. I must ask, what does DOA and age have to do with each other?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by CIC View Post
    Since none of us know the parents except the OP it is hard to say exactly what is best for them. I must ask, what does DOA and age have to do with each other?
    See my post above . Some older folks have arthritic hands and cannot use the DAO. The S&W 442 and 642 are good carry guns but I think too light for someone with grip issues. A larger gun that can be adjusted to a lighter pull (and more to hold onto) is a better choice. As you say we don't know the folks so it will be up to the OP to work out the problems. All we can do is give opinions and relate our experiences so some unthought of problem can be avoided.

My suggestion is to take them to a range and either rent some various guns, or supply them with as many choices as you can manage.
    My 12yo son has a Rossi Trifecta with the 20ga, I don't even like shooting it, too light and kicks!
    I loved the idea of the Judge, nearly bought one but got to shoot one first, I HATED it! Didn't balance, didn't aim, just didn't feel right to me.
    I can go on and on but my point is if they don't like it, or are scared of it to start with, it's not going to be much use in a high stress event! They need to be comfortable with this choice first and foremost. I get they aren't gun people and it may seem a real pain to them to start with, but once they shoot a couple different guns I think they'll understand better.

Boolit Master
    A pistol is not a good choice unless the folks are willing to practice with it until they are competent enough to use it. Not just 50 or 100 rds but a bunch more. Good center of mass hits. Yes, many elderly people can handle a pistol. But, if they have not used one before then the muscles may not be up for it. I've seen some of these folks on the CCW qualifying range. Can't keep all the shots on a full profile target at 5 yds cause they cannot hold the pistol steady and pull the trigger. OTOH some people will pick up the pistol and get it right off the bat, especially women with good hand and arm strength.

Please, please they need to practice until they can hit the target, easily. Not just one round out of 6 but all 6, no matter what weapon they end up with. Before you say, 'of course', be aware that some people will consider it a waste of time. They have a belief that just pointing the gun and pulling the trigger kills everyone in front of them. If you push them it may cause problems. Be prepared for that.

Good point charlie, if the person cannot keep the muzzle controlled in non stress, they will have problems under stress. This is not to say that people have not defended themselves with a gun with no training. But these were usually healthy people, start adding in aching joints that may not function normal then 6 shots will be worthless if they all miss. OTH the SXS shotgun as suggested it is pretty hard to miss, just point, and pull the trigger. Which is considerably easier than a DA trigger pull. Two hits versus six misses, I would bet on the two.

The Kimber K6 concealed-hammer snubnose revolver is getting good reviews for taming recoil through ergonomic design, and for having a good trigger. Apparently Kimber managed to lower the bore axis relative to the grip, compared to traditional snubnose revolvers. If the price point is acceptable you might look at it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CIC View Post
    Hand strength / arthritis

Boolit Grand Master
    Hand strength is absolutely not an issue given the age of the OP's parents, so best to let that one go. People in their early 60's have considerable hand strength left, and my 85 yo mother can run a DAO Model 10 easily.

Try not to make them put one foot in the grave until they are actually ready to do so.
    Last edited by 35remington; 05-01-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Some years back i spoke to a fellow from SA.
    His preferred sidearm was/is a 22MAG revolver and he had at the time 3 (confirmed) scalps on his belt.
    He said recoil was near nill and way better penetration than a 22LR and still from a 8 shot DA gun.
    Like a PC mouse a truly point and click interface.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Hand strength is absolutely not an issue given the age of the OP's parents, so best to let that one go. People in their early 60's have considerable hand strength left, and my 85 yo mother can run a DAO Model 10 easily.

Try not to make them put one foot in the grave until they are actually ready to do so.
    I'm just going off the first post on this thread, "..............My rationale for revolver was less moving parts. Mom is not an invalid, but does not have strong hands (arthritis). I am concerned about her manipulating slides/failures etc if necessary, which is where the revolver came into my mind. ........."

Consider a gun for each, if there is a failure then there is still one gun up, and running. Many people carry two guns, myself included, and there is always two at reach in the house. Plus IMO I think people worry too much about failures. I have 10 semi auto handguns of various manufacture, not one of them has had a failure. And two of those are Saturday night specials. Properly cleaned, and lubed guns just tend to run, even the cheap ones.

I still go back to one shot from on target is better than six missed. The question for me is not whether they can pull the DA trigger but whether they can do it, and keep the muzzle pointed where it should be. Take them to a gun shop, have them manipulate the trigger on the gun you think they might want with a quarter on top of the barrel, or the frame above the cylinder. If that quarter falls that is not the gun for them.

Heck buy three Hi Points, they run when maintained, and growing reputation. I doubt all three would fail when needed, my wife has one for plinking. That gun just runs, and runs, and runs, extremely low recoil, just as accurate as a Glock.

Might also consider this as a backup for any handgun, or a primary.

The pistol grip model came in right at 400 dollars total to my gun shop on Gallery of Guns.

Last edited by Walkingwolf; 05-01-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    If they cannot manage a DA pull then quite frankly doing a malfunction drill or racking the slide with an autoloader ain't gonna happen either. Before putting the kibosh on a medium frame DA revolver make sure you recognize that women have even more difficulty racking a slide than trigger cocking a revolver.

Watching women struggle with autoloaders is routine. Trigger cocking a Model 10? Easy by comparison.....said by a guy that has watched many women try both.

Non impaired 50 year old women struggle to rack my 16 lb sprung 1911, which to me is ridiculously easy. Forget any smaller autoloader as the heavy springs utterly defeat them. My Model 10 is no problem for any woman I have given one to.

The best way to avoid having to perform a malfunction drill is to give them a gun that avoids the whole procedure, which is the revolver.
    Last edited by 35remington; 05-01-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Banned
    adam mac84,

I used to be an instructor at a police "rookie" academy (and an Army Rangemaster for >20 years) & believe that the BEST choice for NEW SHOOTERS is a "Plain Jane" S&W, Colt's or Ruger .38SPL revolver with 4" barrel, like a Model 10, Official Police or the Service Six.
    (Imo, you should start your parents off with mid-range 148 grain wadcutters & progress to JHP only when they shoot wadcutters WELL.)

Even our "brand new cadets", who had never even touched a handgun, easily qualified with a .38SPL revolver.
    (About HALF qualified with their revolver after one day of instruction/firing, another QUARTER by the end of Day 2 & EVERYONE by Friday PM on Range Week.)

A Personal Note: My late mother carried my old "army surplus" Colt's Commando .38 on the farm well into her late 80s & remained fully competent with it, too.

just my OPINION, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 05-01-2017 at 03:16 PM. Reason: add

I have always preferred one gun for instructing novice shooters that are female or youngsters, the Ruger Bearcat. It fits their hand, is light in weight and is a single action. I have the student shoot about a box of ammo to get familiar with the gun, while I stand behind them a bit off to the side. Once I see they are going along well, I put a box of bullets on the bench and have them shoot, just for fun, I walk away a short distance so they learn to enjoy shooting. Next I get out a Single Six and let them get used to that larger gun. Now Ruger's 32 Mag is built on a Single Six frame. In a 5.5 inch barrel version would make a dandy handgun for home defense. Of course the 60gr 22 SSS by Aguila is accurate enough at 10 -30 feet, inside the house distances, so the Bearcat could work. I have a small in statute female doctor that I taught with a Bearcat and that is what she carries in her purse, loaded with the 60s.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    If they cannot manage a DA pull then quite frankly doing a malfunction drill or racking the slide with an autoloader ain't gonna happen either. Before putting the kibosh on a medium frame DA revolver make sure you recognize that women have even more difficulty racking a slide than trigger cocking a revolver.

Watching women struggle with autoloaders is routine. Trigger cocking a Model 10? Easy by comparison.....said by a guy that has watched many women try both.

Non impaired 50 year old women struggle to rack my 16 lb sprung 1911, which to me is ridiculously easy. Forget any smaller autoloader as the heavy springs utterly defeat them. My Model 10 is no problem for any woman I have given one to.

The best way to avoid having to perform a malfunction drill is to give them a gun that avoids the whole procedure, which is the revolver.
    The difference is the DA revolver the trigger has to be pulled in a long heavy for handicap pull. Chances of a malfunction are even less than the chances of needed a gun in the first place. Plus some guns have easier to rack slides, especially hammer fired, and a gun does not have to stay on target while being racked. Most common brands have slide aids also, or a gunsmith can make one. The push/pull racking system uses the strength of both hands, the DA revolver uses one finger.

If they can shoot a revolver, and that is what they want that is fine, but I have seen police officers that could not keep a Glock muzzle steady let alone a revolver.

Just like a man should not decide what a woman carries, a offspring should not decide what the parents carry. Take them to a gun shop, and let them decide without pushing them in one direction.