Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Considering a revolver for my mother (and dad)

Boolit Grand Master
    Point is, do not automatically rule out the revolver due to "difficult" pulls while ignoring the manipulation needed to run an automatic. If my 89 year old father than just had a stroke can manage DA trigger pulls, it may not be covering all the bases if you eliminate the revolver as a choice before letting them attempt it.

Given that these are not "gun" people, the less they have to remember to do, the better. The less "gunny" you are, the more the revolver makes sense.

Nobody is eliminating anything, the choice should be the parents choice. If it is a bad, or good choice it is on them.

And I have four times the revolvers that I do semi automatics. I carry revolvers, and I am a revolver fan, what is good for me is not necessarily good for others.

Boolit Master

A home defense firearm, as well as a concealed carry firearm is 99.999% "feel good", as 99.999% of the people owning them will never need to use their firearm for that intended purpose. Get a handgun your parents think is good for them - they will feel safer and that's what it's all about.

As far as marksmanship - they will do just fine, if that time ever comes - "trained" LEO's and military personnel have been known to miss BG's at less than 15 feet repeatedly.

My vote would be along the lines of a S&W model 60 - 5-shot with wadcutters.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some here would eliminate the revolver from consideration as taking too much "strength" to operate. My point was that from my experience watching strength challenged individuals operate firearms, the revolver has the advantage in manipulation. There is less chance of malfunction as well, and less chance to disremember if it carries a shell in the chamber or not.

Agree on whatever is obtained, some regular schedule of practice and refamiliarization is essential. Forgetting this point does nobody any good save for the criminal.

I'll say it again, until THEY shoot some guns and determine what THEY like, all this speculation and arm chair quarterbacking is doing nothing but muddy the waters for the OP.
    My dad likes his Ruger Super Redhawk 9 1/2" barrel 44mag for home defense, does that make it the best for home defense?
    A neighbor likes a Benneli 12ga for home defense, does that make it the best for home defense?
    My cop buddy likes his Glock .40, ad nauseum.......
    Its personal to everyone, and everyone has reasons for making their choices. We can speculate and assume all day, but until THEY find something THEY like and works for THEM, it's all conjecture.
    Sorry if I'm coming off rude or presumptuous, but I've worked with several people choosing firearms and every time it always surprises me the choices they make! My wife for instance, she picked up a Mossberg 500, 20ga, 20" barrel with pistol grips? Took to it like a duck to water, in her younger days she shot skeet with the damn thing? But that's her baby!
    You just never know what will or won't work until you present some options to them.

It needs to be their choice, be supportive, but let them make the choice.

Boolit Master
    I have worked with two individuals with poor hand strength. My wife and her friend both have real struggles.

We ended up with a Ruger LCRx 38 for my wife. The goal was something she could shoot at the range when she feels like going with me. The effort to cock for SA is about as good as it gets, DA is not bad at all and she loves the light weight. The 3" barrel and good sights help her to shoot decent groups which really helps her fun factor and confidence. For range shooting, I knew in advance that I would be loading "extra low recoil" ammo (needed with a gun so light weight). Ended up with 2.5 gr Titegroup under a BLL coated Lee 110 grn RN for about 600 fps. I also get similar results with 2.8 gr of Promo (red dot equivalent). The light boolit in turn drops the point of impact a lot compared to std. ammo. The LCRx adjustable sights were a real blessing dealing with the POI shift.

Her friend ended up with a Ruger 380. She can shoot it ok, but she really struggles to load magazines or to operate the slide. The only way the gun provides her with a somewhat reliable self defense option is with 100% proven ammo (not sure this has really been done), gun on safe, full mag, and a round in the chamber. The other thing is that I have made a number of futile attempts at getting her back to the range for more practice. Overall, this is just not something I like the sound of.
    Last edited by P Flados; 05-01-2017 at 09:56 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nevertheless, the OP asked for ideas. He got 'em. This may help in expanding the possible choices.

Nobody ever suggested not bothering to let them try stuff out to see what suits them. Putting words in all caps conveys a little more agitation than is seemly. No need to pound the podium.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Nevertheless, the OP asked for ideas. He got 'em. This may help in expanding the possible choices.

Nobody ever suggested not bothering to let them try stuff out to see what suits them. Putting words in all caps conveys a little more agitation than is seemly. No need to pound the podium.
    Sorry, wasn't trying to pound the podium, just meant to express it had evolved into a pissing match over arthritic hands that none of us have to personally deal with, but the users of said gun do.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll toss my two cents in the mix. A revolver is the only way to go. Semi's have a list of things that will stop them when you need it the most. .38 is a great choice, but when asked this same question by a criminal judge here in Baltimore, my long considered advice was to get a .44 Spec. As with the light loaded .38, a light loaded .44 Spec. is manageable and has that little something extra to offer. Best of luck. This is a serious endeavor. Whatever you get, give them lots of good, mature training, and see to it that they shoot on a regular basis.

Banned
    sawinredneck,

As a lot of folks here know, my beloved lady is 70YY, paralyzed from mid-chest down & has about 40% use of her arms/hands. - We have 24/365 nursing care for her at home.

Nonetheless, she still shoots her Colt's Police Positive quite well out to 25M. = If she can shoot the PP well & she CAN, I suspect that most anyone can learn to use a .38SPL revolver.

yours, tex

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    sawinredneck,

As a lot of folks here know, my beloved lady is 70YY, paralyzed from mid-chest down & has about 40% use of her arms/hands. - We have 24/365 nursing care for her at home.

Nonetheless, she still shoots her Colt's Police Positive quite well out to 25M. = If she can shoot the PP well & she CAN, I suspect that most anyone can learn to use a .38SPL revolver.

yours, tex
    Again, I'm sorry, I meant no disrespect to the ideas. The thread had derailed into a pissing match about arthritis and was going no where!
    But I still stand by my statement that they need to try different things to see what they like.

Banned
    sawinredneck,

AGREED 100%.

Fwiw, given that IF we "have a problem" at our place & that the nearest BCSO is about 15-30 minutes away (depending on time of day/night & traffic), we are prepared to "secure the home/property" until LE/FD/EMS/etc. personnel arrive.

Briefly, the "family security plan" is:
    1. A fire/storm evacuation plan to get everyone out in case of fire and/or storm damage to the house & we practice doing it monthly,
    2. Our nursing staff is checked out on our security/emergency plan, are trained with double-barrel shotguns & are ready to use them if necessary to hold the home from behind our locked doors.
    (The house has solid-core doors, "upgraded" locks & window guards, a fire/burglar alarm & good quality fire extinguishers.)
    3. We have sufficient food/water onsite and an emergency generator (with fuel) to keep the house "going" for 2 weeks, in the event of a major tornado or other natural/manmade emergency.
    and
    4. A VERY protective 80+ pound/trained Boxer/Pitbull X, who is always within "touching distance of" my lady.
    (I truly PITY anyone who is foolish enough to "lay hands on" my lady, as they will be "taken down" & "well-chewed".)

In sum, "the old folks" will be FINE until help arrives, should an emergency happen.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 05-02-2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typos/spelling

Another revolver option would be a tuned SA Vaquero with a fast draw hammer. I have two fast draw Navies with cartridge conversions with a normal Navy hammer. Even with the normal hammer the cocking is effortless using the hand in a fanning motion. The fast draw hammer would make it even easier. But they would give up fast reloads.

Unlike most people I do not hold my finger on the trigger while fanning. I cock with a fanning motion, then pull the trigger as it had been thumb cocked. It is still hard on the cylinder timing on a revolver that has not been tuned because of the speed the cylinder rotates. But it makes for an easy SA trigger pull, plus the reliability of a revolver. It would take a learning curve, and tuned Vaquero are not inexpensive.

Just to give an idea here is an image of a fast draw revolver.

Boolit Master
    i still say that a novice ia better off with a long gun

not a revolver

not a semi auto

either a shotgun or carbine

Banned
    charlie b,

IF the new shooter can HANDLE a 12 or 20 gauge, I always suggest a double barrel, as they are EASY to learn to use/maintain, so versatile in many self-defense/hunting/sport-shooting roles AND they are INTIMIDATING from the muzzle end.

just my OPINION, satx

Boolit Grand Master

Adam, something no one else has mentioned. You mentioned 100 acres of woods for the back yard. Set them up a range, make sure they have something you load for, and whatever they choose, provide lots of practice ammo. Get them out in their own back yard shooting cheaply and they are likely to become gun folks! Give the old folks something fun to do that isn't expensive or inconvenient and they will do it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

....t?
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 12:39 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Buddy
    You are going to have to let them try quite a few different kinds of handguns, and it is going to take alot of time.

First, make sure both are willing to make the necessary choices for self defensive shooting situations.
    Next, start with something in a 22LR to get both familiarized with recoil and report from a gun.
    Then, start to patiently work with the operations of different types of handguns....and keep on trying different kinds. And do NONE of this step on a hot range, no live ammo/no accidental discharge. This will take more time than you can imagine.

If, and when, they find something that they can work confidently, and is COMFORTABLE for both to hold.....you have hit the jackpot.

And if nothing pops up that fits any criteria for a handgun, do not even hesitate to suggest a shotgun, but the absolutely simplest version they find easy/comfortable dealing with.....should be either break action or pump.

After all this work, one thing.....do not let your (or ours) ego dictate what "should" work for them; they are extremely inexperienced shooters, acting from a very recent fear situation, and may not keep putting in the time/practice to stay proficient with their tool.

A good couple of childrens' sized aluminum bats, strategically placed around the house, is not a poor option either. These are very easy to remember how to take off "safe", and adrenaline takes care of the rest. Besides, they are cheap, and work every time tried.

The bat idea comes from having my soon to be daughter in law needing something for her apartment, and not being willing, or able, to put in firearms training time. Colors can be important, she likes the pink ones.....

But for every lady i have ever helped with handguns, and there are more than I can remember, finding the best fit between her hand and the gun---read comfort---makes more difference than we can understand with our years of shooting and (normally) stronger hand/arm strength.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234