Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Weighing my first batch of 310g lee and variance results....

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Weighing my first batch of 310g lee and variance results....

I molded a couple nights after work last week with my lee 2 bullet mold and finally got around to weighing them. I divided them up in one grain increments. For example my 298g bag weighs 298.0g-298.9g. The biggest bag was 299g with the 298g a close second and 300g was the third. So my spread was as you can see is 296g to 300g I had about seven or eight bullets that were 301-302g that will get melted down.

I never weighed my first first batch of 100 Finished,GS'ed and lubed being I was just excited to see the final product....so I weighed them next. I divided them in one grain increments again. 307g and 308g were pretty even in count by eyeballing (most of the 307's were 307.8 or .9g...then a few 306g and a few 309g as you can see. I cherry picked these by looking at the flat bases that were completely filled in my mold. I guess I got pretty close.

Im using these in my Ruger 77/44 and plan on load testing at a 100 yards so I will make sure to keep the same bullets in the one grain variances.

I then weighed the bullets I culled being their bases were rounded just a little. Most weighed 298-299g so I'm thinking since they are on the money I'd like to use them since in my mind by installing a gas check on them is going to make a proper seal. I read in my Lyman book that the author culls them. I'm guessing by installing a gas check will put a flat seal and make them usable? I am amazed on how close the rounded base bullets weigh vs a completely filled flat base.

Is my 5 grain variant that I've got normal and for hundred yard grouping am I being too anal with a one grain variance?

Attachment 194251Attachment 194252
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-29-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Boolit Master

In a 300 grain boolit, 1 grain variance is 0.3%.

I am positive that I don't shoot well enough to notice any difference.

But, hey, it's a hobby, and it's your time. Spend it doing whatever makes you happy. It certainly won't hurt your results.

Boolit Grand Master

If it makes you feel good , be as anal as you like. Weigh and separate them to your hearts content.
    I did it when I started casting. Shooting in competition for money, trophies or bragging rights then you need every edge you can get. Just shooting for fun ? Then that's your call .
    By shooting some matched weight boolits it will show you exactly what you / your gun is capable of....can't blame fliers on a poor boolit.

Handgun boolits for plinking and fun , under 25 yards, don't waste your time.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 04-29-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

^^ I find I was pretty anal at first, then it died off when I realized how much time I was putting in.... I do like shooting more than reloading still.....

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    Don't you mean .03%?

There are common variables that represent much greater parameters than 1 grain of boolit weight. Unless you weigh every single charge, which is not that hard I do it, 5 grains won't be able to be separated and identified as a variable depending on boolit weight, because case volume, neck tension, throat diameter, and crimp account for a greater variable than 5 grains of boolit weight out of 300 grain total.

So, you would have to remove all those variables by making them ultra consistent, to make 5 grains of boolit weight matter enough to notice.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

moved thread...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

There's a phenomenon I call "If You think so, it is". There's a lot of things to do during reloading that statistically won't make much difference on the target, but because it make one feel better about their ammo, it is better, more accurate ammo (weighing handgun bullets, trimming handgun brass, deburring flash holes, weighing cases, etc.)...

If the OP believe weighing bullets is a good thing, then it is a good thing...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Hey...don't worry about having done all that weighing, you have learned something.

The thing to do is to watch that pot temp., the mould temp and your casting tempo...when those variables are narrowed down and efficient you will discover that the vast majority of your casts will fit into a 2 grain window.

I used to cast like a house 'afire' just to get the quantity in short duration, I got the same spread you have...all over the place. I spent a lot of time weighing and trying to improve things. Now when making rifle casts I do a much better job, accuracy will tell the story as long as you control the handloading variables too...if you get too anal, well...you'll end up a 'benchrest shooter' and that's where you need to go to school again to improve on your 'OCBD'...'Obsessive Compulsive Boolit Disorder'.

. . . do it your way, this hobby is all about 'discovery'!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post

I am positive that I don't shoot well enough to notice any difference.

But, hey, it's a hobby, and it's your time. Spend it doing whatever makes you happy. It certainly won't hurt your results.
    I'm with you.
    Used to separate by half grain. You wind up with 5-6 bags. In the end?? It makes little if any difference wity my rifles and 60 year old eyes.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    I weighed when I first started casting I don't worry about it now.
    I did a bit of a crude experiment with one batch of boolits for my 357. I only culled those that didn't look something like a bullet, weight variation was from 156-163 gr. The majority were 160gr there were obvious defects in most of the lighter ones and flashing on the heavier.
    Shot a 10 shot group from my revolver with boolits that weighed within 0.5gr and another with the very lightest and heaviest. At 25m distance the good boolits went 40mm those with obvious defects and a 7gr variation 60mm. Convinced me visual culling should be enough for most applications.

Boolit Master

Your consistently is excellent but IMO putting a gas check on a rounded base doesn't fix the boolit. Either the mold was under temperature or the puddle wasn't big enough to provide the extra alloy needed as the boolit cooled and shrank. In both cases the boolit is underweight and not completely filled out. For me all rounded bases are rejects and a warning that I did something wrong. I usually get a rounded base when pouring very fast and don't get an adequate puddle over a cavity. If the alloy is too hot that can make it hard to get a big enough puddle. OTOH if they shoot to your satisfaction, "choot 'em."

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris