Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Powder coating and revolver crimping

Boolit Buddy

Powder coating and revolver crimping

Some of you can help with this. Crimping the case mouth onto a coated bullet can ruin them.Not much of a problem for pistol rounds. You just about have to crimp revolver rounds.Would that also ruin a coated bullet? I know many bullets intended for revolver use have a place to crimp. Still don't know if the crimp on these bullets will scrape the coating off. What would you do for a smooth sided bullet like are now being made for coating? Or one's made by swaging bare lead. I would like to swage lead wadcutters for my 38 .Just smooth sides and squared off ends. No way to crimp them as far as I can tell.
    Thanks
    n.h.schmidt

Shoot one into a dirt mound and dig it out. I think you will find the PC intact .

Just taper crimp it to where only 1/2 the thickness of the case is imbedded in the PC coating. Crimp enough to be able to catch the edge of the case with your fingernail. When loaded you won't be able to push the round into the case deeper, if that's what your worried about. When fired the case will push open and will not pull any PC off the cast.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Roll crimping has no effect on PC.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    I haven't had an issue with it yet. So far, in 38 special, 9mm, 45 colt and acp, 44 and 357 magnum, I haven't noticed any leading on any of the guns. And they ALL get crimped.

Boolit Man
    I had the same question for a while until i made a mistake on a couple of .357 rounds. After using a kinetic bullet puller there was absolutely no damage to the coating from a pretty heavy roll crimp. Load them and shoot them.

Landers

Boolit Buddy
    Ok It looks to be a go with the revolver crimp.
    Thanks
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Buddy
    If your cure temp is right with your PC process ,crimping will not remove PC. I shoot full house .357 Pc'd boolits crimped and nary a fleck of lead in the bore.

Look at it in these terms: If you can smash a boolit flat after the PC process and being smashed between a hammer and a piece of steel don't let it come off, most certainly that crimped brass will not remove it either. Just my .02 - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Banned

umm.
    for a wad cutter you taper crimp.... kind of.
    it's mostly ironing the sides of the case flat.
    neck tension is more than enough for 3 grs of powder to ignite properly.

No problems here.